Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I passed through the new lounge recently well after the morning rush (I arrived around 3pm), and the experience was definitely less intolerable (primarily as there are about 75% fewer people in the lounge). Overall, I would describe the experience as sort of acceptable, with plenty of seating and power available, and an adequate (if unexciting) food selection.

That said, much of the seating is awkward or uncomfortable. Lots of stools, or those large couch-like seats in the main area (on the side with the "mountain"). Very few proper seats or workstations that aren't shared, and the few that do exist get taken very quickly. Everything seems to require too much walking.

I did not bother trying to see what was happening upstairs.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bennos
I passed through the new lounge recently well after the morning rush (I arrived around 3pm), and the experience was definitely less intolerable (primarily as there are about 75% fewer people in the lounge). Overall, I would describe the experience as sort of acceptable, with plenty of seating and power available, and an adequate (if unexciting) food selection.

That said, much of the seating is awkward or uncomfortable. Lots of stools, or those large couch-like seats in the main area (on the side with the "mountain"). Very few proper seats or workstations that aren't shared, and the few that do exist get taken very quickly. Everything seems to require too much walking.

I did not bother trying to see what was happening upstairs.
Fully agree. Many lounges lack proper individual working space.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:00 am

Sleeping Pod / Shower (NS) Crown Lounge

Hi folks, in two weeks time, I've a 9 hour wait, but more likely a 7 hour wait between connecting ( both business class) flights at Schiphol, landing at 06.30am in the morning and my next flight at 15.50, I've 2 questions if anyone can answer

Has anyone in the (NS) Crown Lounge used the sleeping pods, and what are your opinion of them, and has anyone successfully used the showers, and again any opinion on them.

Lastly has anyone ventured into the Blue resturant to try the food, did anyone think it was value for money £$€ ?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs
Has anyone in the (NS) Crown Lounge used the sleeping pods, and what are your opinion of them, and has anyone successfully used the showers, and again any opinion on them.
Have not used the sleeping pods, but did use the showers. IMHO the showers are on the small side and there is no toilet in the area, but you do have all the usual amenities and the water pressure is good. Perhaps I'm a bit spoiled by the showers in the JFK T4 SkyClub...

Lastly has anyone ventured into the Blue resturant to try the food, did anyone think it was value for money £$€ ?
Kinda depends on what you want to spend... The rib-eye is quite good!

Last edited by Didymis; Feb 25, 2020 at 2:23 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Last time I was there, several people were stretched out asleep on the sofas in the TV area.
A cheap option if you want to save money...
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:10 am

Thanks for the info. I'm flying in from Dubai, so I can use the Sky Team Lounge in T1 at Dubai. But I may not have time to use the shower, so I wondered about the showers, the old Crown Lounge showers were fine. On one of my early times connecting at Schiphol there was construction works on the newer Crown Lounge, I dipped out of getting a shower as the wait was horrendous and I had to grab my next flight, as KLM was using the airport hotel's showers.

When it comes to food, I love a good sized portion, and not at all fond of intricate minute portions. I may be tempted to try the Blue restuarant, or just guzzle down lots of soup, and umpteen rolls and meat, oh and not forgetting the tasty waffles and other sweets from the buffet lounge.

I admit I did trek a wee bit to find the sweet food in the corner of the other side of the lounge I was sitting at.

I didn't notice other lounge guests sprawled out over the seats the last time, but aye, that's an idea instead of the sleeping pods.

I've ample time on this coming trip to scout for a good spot to relax, and eat, and maybe even snooze potentially. I apologise in advance for potential snoring

Thanks again

Last edited by Giantlonglegs; Feb 28, 2020 at 12:15 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mikem004
Last time I was there, several people were stretched out asleep on the sofas in the TV area.
A cheap option if you want to save money...
Do not really want to encourage such behaviour (even though it is not our fault but KLM) as this is taking up already precious sitting availability during peak hours. Not to give any ideas, but lounge staff should advice pax doing this to use the sleep rooms/pods.

Cheers!
NickB and Giantlonglegs like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
lounge staff should advice pax doing this to use the sleep rooms/pods.
They should charge reasonable and competitive prices to entice pax to use those pods.

Nobody in his right mind will pay what they are currently asking, given that the Yotel and Mercure offer rooms with toilets and showers at similar or slightly higher rates.

Johan
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I have to plead guilty. I used one of the sofas for a nap my last stay there. I was fresh out of a short redeye TATL (the breakfast on DL made me slightly nauseous too) and feeling quite awful with a long wait at AMS.
The sleeping pods were just not yet in service then. Maybe I would have paid, maybe not.
I didn't use Blue at all (was looking forward to).

Oh yeah, the muzak made the napping even more awkward!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Yes they do, but if I remember correctly, they don't have a lock - so preferably no valuables should be left behind, also it is not big for a cabin bag, but sufficient for a laptop bag.. They are located behind by the reception desk.

Cheers!
Re lockers - on a trip later this year I'm considering a 9 he layover Vs 50mins and might go to Amsterdam for the afternoon. Could I use a locker for 7hrs whilst I leave the airport?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by The doomed
Re lockers - on a trip later this year I'm considering a 9 he layover Vs 50mins and might go to Amsterdam for the afternoon. Could I use a locker for 7hrs whilst I leave the airport?
No problem, that's what they're for, and visiting AMS is a great idea. Trains only take about 20mns to town.
The doomed and Giantlonglegs like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
No problem, that's what they're for, and visiting AMS is a great idea. Trains only take about 20mns to town.
Thanks. Been to Amsterdam and fully agree it worth the (very) easy and short trip.

Hadn't previously considered building in an extended layover but looking at a forthcoming evening long haul which is not for business, I'd rather fly to AMS early and take a day in AMS vs a 50min layover towards the end of the day, or a 4.5hr layover and hang about AMS for so long.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen

One of the guys I work with said it was easy to get to Amsterdam, and back. This may now be an option for me depending on how tired I feel.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:17 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I've always found that when coming off a long haul flight I'd feel better by doing something - walking around, going out. Even when tired you really don't want to sleep as you want to get used to local time as soon as possible. So when the choice is to hang around a lounge 'to rest' or walk around and discover a city - I always go for the latter.

And indeed, Amsterdam is a mere 20 min away with trains running every 10 minutes.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
One of the guys I work with said it was easy to get to Amsterdam, and back. This may now be an option for me depending on how tired I feel.
That indeed is quite easy. If you decide to go, just follow the signs to baggage claim/exit (follow the signs for baggage belts 9-13). After you pass through the sliding doors right behind customs you take a left turn and then the first right. You'll now walk into the main airport plaza. Locate on of the large yellow ticket vending machines from NS (the dutch railway company). Buy yourself a return ticket to "Amsterdam Centraal Station" for EUR 10. (price is actually 9 euro's, but if you don't have a dutch public transport chipcard you'll need to pay 1 euro for a single-use card). Those machines accept most ATM cards and all major credit cards (Amex/Visa/Mastercard). Other option is to buy your ticket online at ns.nl, which will provide you with a QR code to scan. Payment for those can be done with any major credit card.

Platform access is down the escalator from the main plaza. There is an information board that shows all departing trains, and another sign near each platform escalator. If you have a single-use chipcard, don't forget to "check in" before you head down the escalator to the platform, which will validate your ticket. The Amsterdam airport platforms are ungated, so you can easily forget to validate your ticket.. At Amsterdam Centraal, you will need to pass through gates to exit or enter the platform area.

On the way back, at Amsterdam airport, follow the signs to departures 2. You'll see the Skypriority checkin area through which you access the priority security screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.