Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:37 pm

Exactly. It's not a Schengen or non-Schengen issue. It's about countries deemed 'secure' vs countries 'not deemed secure'. The Schengen countries, the U.S. and all EU countries not part of Schengen are deemed secure, many other countries aren't. If your flight comes from a non-secure country, there's the extra security check, otherwise there isn't.

I am not sure what the complete list of 'clean' countries is and whether it includes places like Canada or Japan.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Interesting.....

AMS used to be awesome, CDG was a total mess.

CDG fixed their problems, AMS created new ones for no apparent reason.

I prefer CDG over AMS at this point. My next trip is through AMS both directions so we'll see.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
@ Cyber and Ber2dca, that makes sense indeed.

Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Interesting.....
CDG fixed their problems, AMS created new ones for no apparent reason.
not sure what problem you are referring to, but AMS previously had at-gate-security checks for all non-Schengen destinations. I am almost certain that there was a security check for all passing from the non-Schengen part of the airport to the Schengen part, regardless of origin.

The current system has thereby eliminated any security checks for the vast majority of transfer customers. Only those arriving from "non-clean" destinations are checked on arrival at AMS before making their transfer.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The current system has thereby eliminated any security checks for the vast majority of transfer customers.
Which should have left them with plenty of resourses to provide fast and efficient security checks for all other pax.

Instead, they screwed up.

Johan
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Which should have left them with plenty of resourses to provide fast and efficient security checks for all other pax.

Instead, they screwed up.

Johan
I wouldn't say so. I've only had to wait for more than 5 minutes once. And they seem to be getting better at preventing false positives too, as I haven't had a bag go to secondary or a patdown in a while either where that used to happen to me every time.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
I wouldn't say so. I've only had to wait for more than 5 minutes once. And they seem to be getting better at preventing false positives too, as I haven't had a bag go to secondary or a patdown in a while either where that used to happen to me every time.
Five minutes is too long (assuming you are using the priority line), and better is still far from good enough.

My patdown and secondary rates are way over 90% at AMS, yet pretty much zero everywhere else. Same body, same bags, same clothes.

They screwed up.

Johan
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:25 pm

For UK/Ireland - U.S. trips, AMS is the ideal connection airport and I will give it preference over all other European hubs. It might be 25-30 minutes more flight time than LHR but you'll easily make that up on the ground. Most of the UK/Ireland flights arrive/depart at the D gates which are just a few minutes walk away from where the U.S. flights typically arrive/depart (as well as the D1 pre-boarding check).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Agree, last Monday morning the regular security wait was 5 mins, 1 min with my Privium card, through the body scanner, instant green, bag and accessories straight through the scanner. Returning 2 days later from LGW with exactly the same items, both bag and accessories got secondary screening, and at LGW they have the absurd practice of making you wait behind people already at a security station, so you can still be stuck behind a slow one, rather than AMS practice of only directing you to a security station once it is free.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:42 am

Is 2 hours enough time to transfer if I'm doing Rome -> Amsterdam -> Los Angeles, all on KLM? These are 2 separate tickets on a Tuesday mid-day.

Do I have to retrieve my luggage or is it possible to check it all the way?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: TK *G
Are there any security checks when transfering from a schengen to a non-schengen country?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
None, only passport checks
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
For UK/Ireland - U.S. trips, AMS is the ideal connection airport and I will give it preference over all other European hubs. It might be 25-30 minutes more flight time than LHR but you'll easily make that up on the ground.
How can you "make time" on the ground?

And I actually prefer it the other way - flights direct from Dublin to the US come with the added convenience of preclearance prior to the flight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Can anybody tell me what security/customs I have to go through in AMS? I have a 50 minute connection, coming from DL from the US and connecting to MAD on KLM. Wondering if this connection is enough time. FWIW, I'll be in Business so will have SkyPriority. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
You will go through passport control. And KMAR couldn't care less if you are travelling Business or have SP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.