Lets not forget:
Aspire lounges (26 en 41)
Airline lounge 40 (BA/OW)

PVG was more or less also using such a system -ie Lounge 37 near gate 18
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by CyBeR
This sign wasn't clear enough for you?

There was no "KLM Crown Lounge" on the signs when I tried to find it this summer, just numbers everywhere (I'm talking about the lounge in the non schengen area - not sure if that's this one or the other number).
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by lynxy
There was no "KLM Crown Lounge" on the signs when I tried to find it this summer, just numbers everywhere (I'm talking about the lounge in the non schengen area - not sure if that's this one or the other number).
All seasoned travellers should know: 25 is Schengen, 52 is non-Schengen.

In the mean time, I have tried to find information about why the lounges are numbered like they are -- and come up with nothing. I'll be sure to ask if I'm ever in the company of the right people.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
All seasoned travellers should know: 25 is Schengen, 52 is non-Schengen.

In the mean time, I have tried to find information about why the lounges are numbered like they are -- and come up with nothing. I'll be sure to ask if I'm ever in the company of the right people.
All seasoned travellers who have been in AMS before should know. I'm FB Gold since 2014 but because I had never connected through AMS previously I was quite puzzled when I had to find the Crown Lounge for the first time a couple of months ago.

The least they could do is to have boards here and there detailing which airlines are related to which Lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: FB platinum
Originally Posted by Enthilza
All seasoned travellers who have been in AMS before should know. I'm FB Gold since 2014 but because I had never connected through AMS previously I was quite puzzled when I had to find the Crown Lounge for the first time a couple of months ago.
Exactly. Once you know, it's fine. But the first time is rough
But it's nice to see that they are trying to improve.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The numbering is, to the best of my knowledge, for historical reasons. It refers to a physical location [though BA's new location for its lounge retains its old "40" designation, so it doesn't necessarily mean an immutable physical location!] and usually corresponds to the numbering system used on all maps to indicate ALL facilities, not just the lounges (I believe that there is at least one other shop or other facility that is listed on maps using a number that is also used for the lounges).

The names of lounges can, and do, change - just as the name and nature of the shops, etc, changes - what is listed as "Menzies" and "Servisair" on the old map below is now called "Aspire".

"KLM Crown Lounge" may still be called the same, but who's to say it won't oneday be known as "Le Salon - Air France" or "Etihad Premium Lounge" or something else?

The numbering is something that is permanent, like an "address".

I notice that, when travelling with airlines from AMS that use Aspire, the checkin agents usually refer to the lounge number, even writing it on the boarding pass.

Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I notice that, when travelling with airlines from AMS that use Aspire, the checkin agents usually refer to the lounge number, even writing it on the boarding pass.
I get the same from the KLM check-in agents on those rare occasions that they tell me where the lounge is ^
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If people are unhappy with "lounge 26", then how do they cope with "Gate B28" etc? Perhaps "the 17:00 KLM Berlin gate" would be more beneficial
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
If people are unhappy with "lounge 26", then how do they cope with "Gate B28" etc? Perhaps "the 17:00 KLM Berlin gate" would be more beneficial
My point precisely. You have a lot of obvious screen/boards explaining that 17h00 KLM to Berlin will depart from B28. I don't remember seeing any obvious screen/board saying that KLM lounge is 25/52 (something like what Irishguy posted).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If people are unhappy with "lounge 26", then how do they cope with "Gate B28"
Most likely because gates are numbered in a logical way that most people can easily comprehend.

There may well be a reason why Schiphol has a lounge 52, but many passengers will probably ask themselves what happened to the other 51.

Johan
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by PaulRO
[ and all those who are questioning AMS ability to sluice you through efficiently ].

May I suggest that you consider travelling through another transfer point than AMS?
AMS is one terminal.
AMS is one level.
AMS has the world's clearest signage.
AMS signs show you walking distance (in time, for average legs)
AMS has immigration (and ex-) controls where required by law.
AMS has, for those cases, special lanes for people who can show that they believe they have a tight connection.
AMS has cleaning teams trained in mopping up the mess of pax whose knickers get in a twist or moisture incident. despite these above measures.
AMS has a very clear limit to pax volumes and flights (I live nearby, and I am a co-funder of the whole shebangle).
AMS will become increasingly discerning in who transits here.
YOU might find that we have decreasing patience with all these queries.
YOU may be much happier elsewhere.
Tranquilo amigo. Taking it a bit personally no? It's an airport, no-one questioned your paternal heritage. It's become less pleasant to transfer through than it used to be, this is a forum about flying, people will comment. If the airport shares your attitude it's where the problem lies...

I normally find the Dutch an ready going live and let live lot, not sure what happened at AMS.

Last edited by nallison; Jan 24, 2017 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Edited for double posting

Last edited by nallison; Jan 24, 2017 at 9:15 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Enthilza
My point precisely. You have a lot of obvious screen/boards explaining that 17h00 KLM to Berlin will depart from B28. I don't remember seeing any obvious screen/board saying that KLM lounge is 25/52 (something like what Irishguy posted).
I posted a picture of just such a sign on this very page.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I transit Schipol 5/6 times per year. It's a fine airport, easy to get around and I like it.

My only gripe is the craziness around passport control coming in/out of the Schengen area. Adding more passport officers at peak times cannot be that hard. An earlier poster called passport control a shitshow and I think that is an apt description.

I had a 70 minute connection last friday, my incoming flight arrived early but the passport area was a mess, including the short connection line. By the time I arrived at the gate for my US-bound flight boarding was more than halfway over.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodway
Adding more passport officers at peak times cannot be that hard.
Schiphol has asked for another 500 officers, the government has promised 135 in time for the summer high season.

They should just scrap exit checks and focus their resources on incoming pax.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.