Search

How generous is KLM with compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
On Facebook, I wrote:
What about a request for EC261/2004 compensation? Is that also handled by DL?
KL response:
As mentioned in our previous file, Delta Airlines handles the file. We are not able to state the outcome or the applicable compensation. We kindly ask for your patience in this matter, until your file has been handled or contact them for further inquiries.
So I resubmitted my claim for EC261 compensation to DL yesterday. What a weird way to run an airline!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
For EU261 matters, the operating carrier is the one to call on - so this is just either ignorance on their part, but - more likely - smoke screening.

Look at what I wrote 2 posts back - send a registered letter to KLM and keep pressure on them - otherwise, no go...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
On Facebook, I wrote:

KL response:

So I resubmitted my claim for EC261 compensation to DL yesterday. What a weird way to run an airline!
Did you send KLM a letter, or did you make a request via their website? When you file via the website you get an immediate response with a file reference as far as I have experienced. KLM and Delta have a JV agreement and they also handle eachothers complaints. Delayed flight claims for EU passengers are almost fully handeled by AF/KL and claims for US and probably also Canadian residents are handeled by DL.
I know they are still struggling with a backlog due to the AF pilot and cabin crew strikes and the broken baggage systems at CDG and Schiphol, but usually they do handle EU 261 requests according to the latest ECJ ruling.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I sent an email via website to both KL and DL and I do have file numbers for both. Just no response!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just to close the loop on this, I submitted an EC261 claim to DL on Sept 21 but got no auto-response/case number, so I resubmitted on Oct 2nd. Still no response.

I decided to send a message to DL via Facebook yesterday asking about the proper procedure to submit an EC261 claim. Got a prompt reply asking for my email address so they could follow up.

Today, I got an email from AFJK Customer Care ([email protected]) confirming that I was eligible for EC261 and there is a cheque for C$870.18 in the mail for me!

So it does appear that DL handles NA Customer Service issues for KL.

Thank you all for the help/feeback!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Well done. Persistance pays off!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:26 am

Congrats!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
OK, I finally got a reply to my EC261 case. Me and my wife both were delayed about 4 hours and change. No reply from AF/KL but I sent a registered mail letter to their HQ and now they're talking.

Dear Mr De With,

Thank you for your letter in which you ask for compensation due to the delay of flight KL 605 from Amsterdam to San Francisco on the 6th of September 2016 for yourself and Mrs Von Edler. Unfortunately there is no record of your previous claim. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies and a compensation for the encountered inconveniences.

Compensation
You are entitled to compensation. When an Intercontinental flight is delayed with more than 3 hours but less than 4 hours upon arrival we are allowed to reduce the compensation with 50%. Your flight had an arrival delay of 3 hours and 55 minutes.

I would like to offer you an amount of EUR 300,- per person or a KLM EMD Voucher of EUR 400,- per person.
With the taxi time and required extra minutes for getting off the plane it was easily over 4 hours. Do I have a case here or should I just take what I have?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by caliform
OK, I finally got a reply to my EC261 case. Me and my wife both were delayed about 4 hours and change. No reply from AF/KL but I sent a registered mail letter to their HQ and now they're talking.

With the taxi time and required extra minutes for getting off the plane it was easily over 4 hours. Do I have a case here or should I just take what I have?
The important timing is when doors open, do you have the exact timing for that?
According to FR24, the airplane landed at 03:29 PM, so with 6 minutes short of 4 hours, everything seems possible.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Ditto
The important timing is when doors open, do you have the exact timing for that?
According to FR24, the airplane landed at 03:29 PM, so with 6 minutes short of 4 hours, everything seems possible.
I did take some videos during taxiing back to the gate. Is there a canonical source I can use for door-open / gate time for arrival?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by caliform
I did take some videos during taxiing back to the gate. Is there a canonical source I can use for door-open / gate time for arrival?
Flightstats say Actual Gate Arrival is 03:30PM, there doesn't seem to be any source reporting door-opening times, of course if your videos shows otherwise and can prove it was more than 4 hours then it is a different story.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

As an update: KLM was pretty steadfast in offering just EUR 300 per person, and then I got an email on a different email address where I'd previously sent in the complaint by email (vs. certified letter) and they said the check for 600 EUR was in the mail, no negotiation.

Cashed the checks today - 600 euro per person, not bad.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Flying Blue
Prompt service from KLM

My wife and I had delayed flights from Manchester to Muscat via Amsterdam 2 weeks ago. 6 hours delay out of Manchester. Missed the connecting KLM flight. Rerouted on Etihad and arrived 6/7 hours late into MCT.

On my return, I filled out the claim form online on the Flying Blue website. Got an email replay next day confirming that we were eligible for 600 euro compensation each. Did we want flight voucher or cash?

Got an email today stating that the cash 1035GBP was being transferred to my account on 2nd February to my account. - precisely 1 week after I submitted my claim.

Compliments to KLM. What prompt and efficient service. Makes you want to fly with them again. I wonder how prompt other airlines are?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
My experience with KLM is totally different. The agent I hired to run the case for me battled with them for 3 years before I could cash in. It was a broken fuel pump that caused a missed connection and a 7 hour delay on an IC itinerary.

AF was much faster in accepting my claim when they delayed me for a full 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.