Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do KLM charge for food on short-haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Not even offering water or coffee for free is ridiculous as flag carrier. And that press release is cringe worthy.
I don't believe in these days many would chose a specific carrier over another just because they provide free snacks, considering the price difference and all things equal. But I certainly do not believe anyone would choose BA over Easy just because the former offers 'premium' BOB.
What is a flag carrier?

Ok yes, historically speaking I know what a flag carrier is, but is the term really valid in 2016? I was a regular customer on U2 AMS-LGW for many years, then I tried BA, hideous experience, even with a free drink and worthless snack, so back to U2, I find them a far better British airline for short haul point to point in Y.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
KLM reconfirmed it will not introduce BOB for the moment as a matter in fact it will reintroduce a small hot meal on its longest flights from end of october.
Some destinations like cPH/TXL already receive a more substantial service since a while

On short flights there have been some issues with the cake relatedly but these should now have been solved according a recent staff bulletin
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
No... But BA will do from January 11th !
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That's why I bumped the thread...see above

I guess we can now consider Virgin Atlantic to be the sole full service British carrier.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's why I bumped the thread...see above

I guess we can now consider Virgin Atlantic to be the sole full service British carrier.
Just wait for BA to do the same to the longhaul economy product in the same way EI does ...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by splflyer
KLM reconfirmed it will not introduce BOB for the moment
So that means we'll have it about a year from now then.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt
Just wait for BA to do the same to the longhaul economy product in the same way EI does ...
You mean a complimentary meal but with the option to pre-order a better meal and the option to purchase additional snacks on the longer flights?

It would indeed be a step up from BA's new offer.

Chocs away! British Airways angers passengers after cutting second meal on long-haul flights and replacing it with tiny chocolate bars

BA seem intent on p***ing away their reputation. Everything they've done this year has made bad headlines!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I dunno. I think it might re-inforce the Dutchness of the brand if they were to wheel a, say, Febo Automaat down the aisle and allow the customers to select and pay as they wished....

Does any other country have these vending machines full of sorry looking kroketten en bamiballen that have been waiting for a buyer for ten hours or longer?

Febo should market their Automaten as a whiz-bang diet: walk in, take one look, lose your appetite for a week, if not longer.

Johan
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel

Does any other country have these vending machines full of sorry looking kroketten en bamiballen that have been waiting for a buyer for ten hours or longer?

Febo should market their Automaten as a whiz-bang diet: walk in, take one look, lose your appetite for a week, if not longer.

Johan
No, it's a Dutch thing, it died out in most other countries.

And in all honesty, most Febo shops it doesn't sit that long.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:06 am

I like the KLM sw

Happy Birthday KLM! 97
Last month out of the 5 klm sandwiches 1 was dry, 2 were good 2 were ok. All were with Dutch cheese. AF lunch is ok, the macaroons though.. nice.
I prefer at least a sandwich over chips on a short haul evening flight.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Not even offering water or coffee for free is ridiculous as flag carrier. And that press release is cringe worthy.
I don't believe in these days many would chose a specific carrier over another just because they provide free snacks, considering the price difference and all things equal. But I certainly do not believe anyone would choose BA over Easy just because the former offers 'premium' BOB.
You are right. And the 90 pages + on the BA forum relating to this subject would suggest that this is not BA management's most popular ever decision
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:53 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by splflyer
KLM reconfirmed it will not introduce BOB for the moment as a matter in fact it will reintroduce a small hot meal on its longest flights from end of october.
Some destinations like cPH/TXL already receive a more substantial service since a while

On short flights there have been some issues with the cake relatedly but these should now have been solved according a recent staff bulletin
I flew AMS-LIS last night and instead of the hot roll, a pasta dish was served. As it happens with the usual Y/CL pasta dishes, it was only edible, but honestly I was sick of the rolls and prefer it. Anyhow, to my surprise the pasta plastic bowl wasn't served on a tray or inside a paper container. A napkin with plastic cutlery (spoon and fork only, no knife) was provided before the bowl was handed to pax, with instructions therein so as to open it and lay it on the table. The (hot) bowl was handed to pax, who were expected to place it on the napkin. The usual sweet was served with coffee/tea.

Has anyone else experienced this service?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Hi all, does anyone know definitively at what times the different services are in economy? I'm interested specifically in the shortest flights, e.g. Heathrow. When can you expect a sandwich rather than the dreaded sweet\savoury, is it only breakfast? Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nallison
Hi all, does anyone know definitively at what times the different services are in economy? I'm interested specifically in the shortest flights, e.g. Heathrow. When can you expect a sandwich rather than the dreaded sweet\savoury, is it only breakfast? Thanks
I took a 2:40 PM CPH-AMS flight last month and got an egg wrap.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by CMK10
I took a 2:40 PM CPH-AMS flight last month and got an egg wrap.
Thanks for the data point, I guess that flight is a little longer than LHR so we'll see...

I wish airlines would be more specific about what you'll be served on short haul, makes it hard to know what to eat in the airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.