Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do KLM charge for food on short-haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Do KLM charge for food on short-haul flights?

Just wondering if KLM charged for all food on short-haul flights or if some sort of meal was provided and snacks were extra? I know in the past it was all complimentary but it has been a few years since I've gone with KLM! Has the offering actually improved in that time?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I have a hard time digesting the "food on short-haul flights" fragment. (pun intended) Food on short-haul flights has mostly gone the way of the dodo bird.

That being said, KL does offer some snacks (depending on the length of the flight) and they are free of charge. I wouldn't count on that if I was hungry (it's best to be prepared), but the snacks are there and they're included in the ticket price.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nabildar
Just wondering if KLM charged for all food on short-haul flights or if some sort of meal was provided and snacks were extra? I know in the past it was all complimentary but it has been a few years since I've gone with KLM! Has the offering actually improved in that time?
don't expect a "meal". On short flights, outside of established "meal times", you're likely only to be offered a 25g pack of something either sweet or savoury. Even at "meal times", the most you're likely to be offered on a short flight is a (sometimes unappealing) small sandwich.

If you're hungry, consider eating on the ground between flights (though food at Schiphol can be rather expensive) if you can't wait til you arrive at your final destination. You can also bring food purchased at Schiphol on board with you - just be careful with buying liquids. Depending on your destination (all non-Schengen flights - which includes the UK, for example) there will be a security check either at, or just prior to, your gate for the shorthaul flight. Any liquids that don't comply with the EU security rules will be confiscated - but you can ask the shop selling you your bottle of water, etc, to seal it in a clear plastic bag which should remain sealed until you have cleared security.

Drinks on board are free (even beer/wine) but the serving sizes for soft drinks, juices, and water are tiny, so you may wish to also bring your own drinks, to supplement that which you will be given onboard, if you are bringing your own food.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Having more than one drink (as indeed it are small 20cl or so cans) has never been a problem for me.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It has been for me, they've been utterly mean about it on my last few flights. I hate that attitude, because it doesn't cost them so much if you have a couple of those minuscule tins.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
On a recent flight a guy near me ordered two beers and was told only one at a time. When they pushed the cart back he was handed the second beer. On another flight(1 hour) I was asked if I wanted another beer. On other flights the purser has welcomed me by name when taking the drink order. Maybe there is slightly better service in EC ?
Expect a sweet biscuit or a bag of cheese puffs or maybe a sandwich if the right time of day.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
It has been for me, they've been utterly mean about it on my last few flights. I hate that attitude, because it doesn't cost them so much if you have a couple of those minuscule tins.
You save them money on fuel on the return flight by taking the liquid off board!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad
On a recent flight a guy near me ordered two beers and was told only one at a time. When they pushed the cart back he was handed the second beer. On another flight(1 hour) I was asked if I wanted another beer. On other flights the purser has welcomed me by name when taking the drink order. Maybe there is slightly better service in EC ?
Expect a sweet biscuit or a bag of cheese puffs or maybe a sandwich if the right time of day.
Well, for alcoholic drinks there is, IIRC, a rule of one at a time, for obvious reasons.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Flying blue
10 to 15 years ago, KLM use to serve some very nice sandwiches on short flights during approx. meal times.

No, there is no option to buy food. Maybe an upgrade to business class if you think a £5 meal is worth the extra £300
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
The meal times is every flight prior to 0900 am and between 17:00 to 19:00.

SB
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by strikerbird
The meal times is every flight prior to 0900 am and between 17:00 to 19:00.

SB
KL also serves sandwiches on flights departing from AMS after 2000, afaik
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Flying blue
Originally Posted by ok986
KL also serves sandwiches on flights departing from AMS after 2000, afaik
I only remember "sweet or savoury snack" on the later flights out of Amsterdam, including the one last week to UK at 21:30
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the menu I got the other day, meal times in shorthaul J are as follows:

Breakfast: 5h00 - 9h59 a.m.

Lunch: 10h00 a.m. - 2h59 p.m.

Dinner: 3h00 p.m. - 4h59 a.m.

I find dinner at one minute to five in the morning an interesting concept!

Johan
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:53 am

Just to add a bit of photographic evidence to the discussion - here's a picture of the Chicken-Egg Sandwich on my Amsterdam to Manchester flight last week. There is one more of those sandwiches in the box.

Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was that sandwich edible?

I was handed one of those boxes on an AMS-BCN flight last month, but returned it unopened after a brief visual inspection. I was not inclined to take one for the team. It would appear you had the courage to do so.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.