Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can KLM just cancel flight and rebook me a day later?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

I booked a flight from Europe to the U.S. at my local travel agency. Today I saw that KLM has canceled my flight on January 1 2015 and booked me onto another flight on January 2 2015. Can they just do this? I don't want to lose one whole vacation day. My local travel agency was closed today, so I couldn't go there yet to complain. What are the customer's rights in such a case? The first leg of this trip is done by KLM and the second leg by Delta Airlines.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

This far out, yes they can. You may want to look into options by calling them, also you may be eligible. For EU261 compensation, but further details are needed.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
You also probably could get rebooked for a day earlier than originally planned, adding a vacation day.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This far out, yes they can. You may want to look into options by calling them, also you may be eligible. For EU261 compensation, but further details are needed.
I believe for EU compensation it would have to be 2 weeks or less notice.

Seems like its a typical holiday schedule reducation so rebook a different day or get a refund. I believe OP can change the start and end date and even select much more convenient flights without extra charge
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Hawk Circle
You also probably could get rebooked for a day earlier than originally planned, adding a vacation day.
Though in this particular circumstance - travelling on New Year's Eve, rather than New Year's Day, thereby missing New Year celebrations with family and friends at home; plus having to pay for an extra night's hotel stay (which on New Year's Eve tends to be much higher than normal, particularly dependant on the destination - New York would be crazily expensive now, for instance) makes this less attractive than might normally be the case.

Maeve - I would advise you to get your travel agent to re-route you on the same day. I suspect you might be travelling from Dublin, and whether you are travelling on a Delta or KLM flight (whatever the number - the former would be a direct Dublin-USA flight, the latter would have you routed via Amsterdam on an Aer Lingus flight to connect to KLM there) there will be many options for you to get to your destination either via a different Delta gateway in the US, or via Amsterdam (or even possibly via CDG if they can rebook you onto Air France). Even if you are not travelling from Dublin, the same principle applies. Ask for a re-routing on the same day. It will probably make your travel time much longer and you may miss out on the first afternoon of your vacation. But your Travel Agent really should have no difficulty in getting you booked on an alternate routing on the same day. (Hopefully it's not one of those websites with minimal, if any, customer support, or who refuse to deal with you unless you took a paid "customer service" option at the time of booking)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonElite

I believe for EU compensation it would have to be 2 weeks or less notice.

Seems like its \a typical holiday schedule reducation so rebook a different day or get a refund. I believe OP can change the start and end date and even select much more convenient flights without extra charge
My mistake (too much wine on today's flight). You are absolutely correct.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Yes, KL can cancel the flight. At 14+ days there is no EC 261/2004 compensation. But, KL must reroute you. The auto-rebook simply selects the most logical alternative. If that does not work for you, just tell your local TA what you are looking for and let them handle the mess.

Do some research to figure out what is available so that you are making a specific "ask".
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. They were very helpful. The flight actually starts in Munich, with KLM to Amsterdam, then on to Los Angeles with KLM and then on to Honolulu with Delta. I will try to research another flight option on January 1 because I can't reschedule to a day earlier. And a day later would shorten my vacation even more.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by maeve808
Thanks all for your replies. They were very helpful. The flight actually starts in Munich, with KLM to Amsterdam, then on to Los Angeles with KLM and then on to Honolulu with Delta. I will try to research another flight option on January 1 because I can't reschedule to a day earlier. And a day later would shorten my vacation even more.
Rebooking within SkyTeam, you can do Air France MUC-CDG-LAX on 1 January, arriving at 110pm and connecting to a DL nonstop LAX-HNL, probably the same DL flight you are already booked on.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by maeve808
That's a complicated itinerary, but you should be able to find something via Paris, Milan or Atlanta. You can also get a full refund, but before you accept that see if there are better arrangements available using UA/LH/LX. UA and LH each have non-stop flights from MUC to several US cities, and UA can certainly get you to Hawaii.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Do some research to figure out what is available so that you are making a specific "ask".
This is an important point. You will get a lot more of what you want if you approach the situation with alternatives that work for you.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The good DL aircraft to Hawaii, the A330 rather than a ratty old domestic configured thing, is the ATL-HNL NONSTOP. Even in coach, it's a good ride with good AVOD. Try to connect into ATL on your TATL flight (from AMS, CDG or elsewhere--I think there's a DL nonstop MUC-ATL but it might be seasonal or not every day of the week) and then definitely avoid all DL flights to Hawaii that stop on the west coast (including the "direct" flight from ATL) unless HNL is not your destination. This will be much better than your original ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since this post appears to specifically concern a KLM flight, it's been moved to,the dedicated airline forum where it is more likely to be seen by those with knowledge of the subject.

Thanks all.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The good DL aircraft to Hawaii, the A330 rather than a ratty old domestic configured thing, is the ATL-HNL NONSTOP. Even in coach, it's a good ride with good AVOD. Try to connect into ATL on your TATL flight (from AMS, CDG or elsewhere--I think there's a DL nonstop MUC-ATL but it might be seasonal or not every day of the week) and then definitely avoid all DL flights to Hawaii that stop on the west coast (including the "direct" flight from ATL) unless HNL is not your destination. This will be much better than your original ticket.
I flew SLC-HNL in coach earlier this year, it's on a 767 with AVOD and not that bad either. First class is another story and by all means I'd try to get on the ATL-HNL with the flat beds.

To the OP:
Quickly looking it up, it seems that your fastest option would be:
AF 1123 7.15 MUC 8.55 CDG
AF 84 10.30 CDG 12.55 SFO
DL 1151 15.00 SFO 18.24 HNL

There are seats available on those flights, so I'd just call and ask.

Last edited by Oxymore; Aug 15, 2014 at 2:24 am
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I join others in suggesting that whilst KL can indeed do that, you will be able to ask the TA (you need to go through them) for alternative itineraries and should do your "homework" beforehand. KL will consider any itinerary on KL, AF, or DL (but not AZ or other Skyteam partners unless that is the only alterntive) and only in the class of travel originally booked (so if booked in economy you obviously need economy seats available) but usually on other buckets (so if you are booked in V and they have T it is usually ok).

In those cases, it is always a bit of a pain to have to go through TAs who are often not interested in making their own life difficult by asking non-standard replacement itineraries, but unfortunately KL won't touch the ticket directly unless you booked through them directly as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.