Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have no idea what's going on this afternoon, but I was just passing through Schiphol on the way home and the queue for Schengen security stretched all the way to the little tunnel to Departures 3.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
It took me less than 2 minutes through the priority line on Monday evening.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only took me a couple of minutes the other week as well, but that was due to luck and speed, as I just managed to get in ahead of an avalanche of non-priority pax that a traffic cop agent unleashed on the priorty side.

Johan
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
The times I went through the new setup (So far only non-Schengen, Schengen) went very smooth, and I certainly don't miss my Privium subscription with Sky Priority. Only downside is that getting there sort of feels unintuitive and disorienting. I guess that will get better once the works on the new setup and flow have completed.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I have used the 'new' centralised security several times the past few months and must say every experience has been positive so far with very short waits and efficient processing (granted, I only use it when originating from AMS and have not transferred at AMS; and my most recent flight was an early morning service to CUR). I find how the trays are processed quite efficient as well. Especially when bags needing secondary screening automatically are diverted, allowing everyone else to get on with it. I find it much better than the decentralised security that had one languishing at the gate or worrying about getting through security, especially on USA-bound services. And I also find it supremely better than anything in the USA, for example (I recently endured MIA when pre-TSA was not working; what a SNAFU that was).

It has, however, contributed to the duplo-esque hodge podge that Schiphol seems to be becoming: another pier here, another mezzanine there, corrugated tunnel here...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The days when Schiphol was a seemless, single-terminal airport are long gone.

Johan
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

My experience is that security in Departures 2 (haven't tried 3 yet) seems to be efficient, yet passport control after that is a bottleneck. Last time I had to wait longer to leave the country than I had to wait in Boston to enter the country.

I just cannot understand why they seem to refuse to put up tensa barriers to allow people to queue in an orderly manner, but then again this is the Netherlands, where not waiting your turn in an orderly fashion is a popular pastime.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
My experiences: Departures seems ok as long as you have SP and/or Privium and not flying to the USA on a US airline.
When flying to the USA on a US airline: crap, inefficient

Arrivals from 'safe' countries: ok.
Arrivals from the F gates...long walks, detours, cardboard walls, construction going on everywhere and only one booth open at passport control. Result long lines that are 'blocking' the Privium lines at times.

Transfers (non) Schengen: Still see sometimes long lines t passport control.

KMAR still seems to be understaffed to me or they might get comission for every sold Privium abbo

Last edited by Grouchy; Oct 7, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KMar is understaffed due to duties elsewhere in the country.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Arrived at 1030 this morning. Gate E24 was occupied so moved to F5. Decided to exit into the NL as the layover was long. No wait at the F pier immigration point.

Security at the European departure hall seemed rather backed up but we had SkyPriority. Still quite a circus with the bag area one woman was hogging all three tray points! My lane just had about every other bag go through secondary screening o this was backing up......

Immigration queue to leave Schengen below the D pier lounge was rather long too....
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
KMar is understaffed due to duties elsewhere in the country.
How about ensuring that the e-gates are operational and open at all times?

Johan
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Totally agree!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:58 am
Original Poster

When I got back from LHR yesterday evening I was the first to walk up to the immigration desks and found it deserted. There weren't even KMar there. It was only when they realized that there were more people coming that they came out of their break room and started staffing the booths. My German ID card was closely scrutinized. I guess it was a slow night.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by johan rebel
And that they function well. I used the e-passport gates last Sunday. After staring at the screen for a minute or so the machine told me to "ask assistance". 5 seconds later it decided that I am I, and let me pass.
My friend, using another machine, was told by the KMar who was overlooking the machines that he was good to go, however his passport didn't get ejected by the machine until 20 seconds later.
The machines at LTN were not much better - my friend's passport was rejected and he was told to join the normal queue.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
I use the secret passage all the time, that goes via parking lot. I love the bridge. I never have to wait and its also personal service there. Sadly, it isn't open in the weekends.

SB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.