Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And yet they were trumpeting in the press last week that no-one would have to wait more than 10 minutes; and that the experience would be so quick and enjoyable that they fully expected passengers to ask if they could go through security a second time.

See upthread!!!
You can have as much as 10 lanes, but it you don't staff them...
I also think the amount of KMar checkpoints is low for the peak hours. 8 for non-EU passport holders and families.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You've misinterpreted Aviatrix's post.

She was talking about Schiphol; specifically the "bus gates" in the D corridor.

The reference to ARN was merely to note that she was travelling from ARN, via AMS, to NWI.
My bad. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And yet they were trumpeting in the press last week that no-one would have to wait more than 10 minutes; and that the experience would be so quick and enjoyable that they fully expected passengers to ask if they could go through security a second time.

See upthread!!!
What a surprise

And no fast track for J pax because "oh it won't be necessary"

Honestly, where do they find these decision makers?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Honestly, where do they find these decision makers?
In aviation management colleges.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Just flew through AMS from ARN. Went out of the E concourse. Very (pleasantly) surprised that I didn't go through security after the passport check. Just straight to the gate, through the gate and onto the plane. It was nice passing the idle US govt nudie boxes.
I also had a good experience yesterday flying EDI-AMS-PEK on KLM/China Southern. I just walked to the gate, past the many passengers waiting outside the gate area for the security check to open, and into the quite empty gate area itself.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:44 am

So basically transfer PAX enjoy the new setup but PAX originating in AMS are SOL.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
One could also use the Departures 1 (Shengen) security check, and from there take the transfer-passport check right? May very well be faster if wait times are so high for security at Departures 2/3.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have heard that the boarding pass scanners at the entrance block access if your flight does not depart from that departure lounge (Schengen vs non-Schengen)

There is a user on Twitter reporting that it took 40 minutes today for SkyPriorty passengers to get from the escalator behind the SkyPriority checkin area through passport control in Departures 2.

If this is the new standard, then connecting via other hubs in Schengen becomes a lot more attractive.

Edit: Photos added from Twitter users. Loads of complaints this morning.

Last edited by mfkne; Jun 6, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
One could also use the Departures 1 (Shengen) security check, and from there take the transfer-passport check right? May very well be faster if wait times are so high for security at Departures 2/3.
Maybe.

I looked down on that checkpoint from the mezzanine yesterday afternoon, and was not at all surprised to see that all the automatic biometric passports checkpoints were closed, as they always seem to be whenever I come past. There were long lines to the few manual checkpoints that were open, which also seems to be normal.

For those who still have Privium, there is of course a separate lane, so that might be reliably faster.

Johan
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:52 am

Reports today were also about queues at the Privium lanes. Some prominent people were complaining on Twitter, so that drew attention.
The excuse of Schiphol is just pathetic. If the staff 'needs to get used to the new proces', then why not open all available lanes to ease the infamiliarity and then evaluate if/when lanes can be closed to suit the passenger flow better. The other way round only agonises people when they see unmanned lanes and horrendous queues.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
That's a horrendous queue!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two days ago I sailed through security at CPH in a minute, despite being randomly selected for a pat-down.

CPH, a midget compared to AMS, has I think 17 checkpoints, with a priority one at either end. I scanned my BP, walked right up to the belt (a distance of all of 5 meters), put my stuff in trays, got a pat-down, grabbed my belongings and headed off. Only minor downside is that one needs to negotiate a duty free maze to get airside from security.

Why the heck can't Schiphol get it right?

Johan
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Now they've completely lost it:

This again via Twitter. It looks like it could be the queue for Departures 1, but could also be for Departures 2.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
lol @ the left sign

ooh and twitter is a nice source how bad it is;

Privium:
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Oh my goodness! WTH... is it as bad as for Sky Priority passengers? I heading to London via AMS next week and due to a long layover I wanted to get lunch near the central train. But now I am sort of not inclined to leave the airport. If I understand the new security concept, I am allowed to use both security filters in departure hall 1 and departure hall2&3 for my flight AMS-LHR. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.