Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol to introduce centralised security for non-Schengen from 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: LH FTL, KL Platinum, AB Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
Privium not surpised if you cancel

I just cancelled my Privium membership as result of these changes. If same happens at Departures 2 and 3 there is no benefit of Privium over BC and Elite passengers. (As Skyteam Elite Plus added value of Privium = 0). On arrival one could argue that border control would be quicker, but with the frequency that the equipment is out of order that becomes a very minute benefit as well.

Just called Privium to cancel. They were not suprised at all. I assume the majority of calls they get nowadays is about cancellations.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Consequence of no separation at security also means no separate SkyPriority lane at immigration. That really sucks!
There, of course, still are separate Privium turnstyles.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Of course I challenged them that Priority/Privium PAX are annoyed that they don't have a dedicated lane any more. However, they were convinced that the new setup is faster for everyone, including Privium PAX. According to them, only the perception of waiting is different as you don't enter an empty line any more.
So how non-dedicated is the line? Is it like for Schengen departures now (dedicated entrance for Privium + premium passengers) or is it literally one entrance for everyone?

Interesting bit of news BTW from http://www.arabnews.com/news/735916:

Ali Bondagjy, a senior Saudi Arabian Airlines executive, has been appointed by SkyTeam as its alliance operations manager at organization’s headquarters in the Netherlands.
It's good he's based in NL, because with his responsibilities he can start right off with KLM et al at Schiphol:

As operations manager, Bondagjy will supervise whether the member airlines follow the alliance’s conditions and organize meetings to check quality standards.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:17 am

There will be a separate entrance for Privium/Prio (electronic BP check IIRC). After that, security is free for all. Basically the same as Departures 1; priority entrance but no priority check.
After security, the immigration booths are again for everyone, with a separate turnstyle for Privium.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
According to them, only the perception of waiting is different as you don't enter an empty line any more.

"Don't believe your own bull$hit!".
They obviously are believing their own bull$hit.

It is all about perception? Yeah, right!

In the old setup you could take the elevator straight up from the Privium ClubLounge to the dedicated Schengen checkpoint. You did not even need to scan your Privium card, as that had already been taken care of upon entering the lounge. Fast and efficient, in anybody's perception.

Johan
Old May 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Privium really has to re invent itself, as they hardly have added value at the moment. Lounge is nice with some good food, but for me of no value as I tend to arrive last minute. Dedicated close parking, maybe only on days when P1 and P2 are full, otherwise the 1 minute additional walk is not relevant.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troje
Privium really has to re invent itself.
A bit too late for that, with the new security infrastructure now in place.

How they hit upon the idea of installing all these bodyscanners is also beyond me. Surefire way of slowing down security for everyone.

Johan
Old May 29, 2015, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by johan rebel
A bit too late for that, with the new security infrastructure now in place.

How they hit upon the idea of installing all these bodyscanners is also beyond me. Surefire way of slowing down security for everyone.

Johan
For the strip search machines at AMS -- which do indeed slow down the sceeening process -- you can thank the U.S. and the Dutch government eager to jump to the calls of Uncle Sam.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My sincerest thanks to both, then!

Johan
Old May 30, 2015, 7:12 am

The new route can be seen here .

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; May 30, 2015 at 7:18 am
Old May 30, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Very interesting, thanks. So Privium customers have to read their card three times?
Old May 30, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
So Privium customers have to read their card three times?
If you are traveling in J or entitled to priorty because of your Elite status, showing your boarding card will be faster.

At Schengen security I nowadays only use my Privium card if there is a line at the priority checkpoint, i.e. rarely.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
YouTube video of the new process.

Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigertanaka
YouTube video of the new process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmm1pNssf6Q
For the briefest of instants I thought the narrator to be Sir Patrick Stewart
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
So, looking at (for) the positive aspects, does this now mean that transit passengers arriving from a 'clean' airport (such as UK or USA) will not have any further security checks? If so, that's good for folks like me! ^

Flying, say, GLA-AMS-PEK, there will be no 'interference' at all - just straight from gate-to-gate (or gate-to-lounge-to-gate); or, for routes into the Schengen (say, LHR-AMS-MUC), there will just be passport control, but no security bottleneck/free-for-all immediately afterwards. Is this correct?

And does this also mean that I can stock up on cheap Scotch whisky, at the airside shop in GLA, as presents for my friends & colleagues in China?

-- Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.