Buying a Return, Only Using Outbound Leg

Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Buying a Return, Only Using Outbound Leg

Does anyone have experience of buying a return KLM ticket, but only using the outbound leg?

I need to fly one-way EDI-AMS. A return ticket is about 35% the cost of a one-way ticket. Does anyone know if KLM tend to invoice travellers for the difference in price if the return segment is not used, or do they only do this for repeat offenders?

In the past I've been able to successfully fly on the return leg of a ticket where I didn't use the outbound flight (on a KL operated by VG), so my impression is that they're not so efficient at picking these things up.

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:52 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by markle
Does anyone have experience of buying a return KLM ticket, but only using the outbound leg?

I need to fly one-way EDI-AMS. A return ticket is about 35% the cost of a one-way ticket. Does anyone know if KLM tend to invoice travellers for the difference in price if the return segment is not used, or do they only do this for repeat offenders?
This shouldn't be a problem. I haven't heard of anyone ever being invoiced for the difference.

The usual rules for risk minimization apply however:
  • Buy the ticket directly with the carrier, not an Online Travel Agent or even worse an independent Travel Agency. At least in the US the airlines charged the difference not to the end customer but to the TA.
  • For further risk minimization, do not put in your FB number. I would not bother about it, but it's your call.
  • Do not buy the ticket through a company contract with the airline.

In the past I've been able to successfully fly on the return leg of a ticket where I didn't use the outbound flight (on a KL operated by VG), so my impression is that they're not so efficient at picking these things up.
I would be very surprised if this is still possible.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:17 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)

As far as I know, this is not possible now.
They are getting quite strict. If you are travelling from Antwerp to anywhere via Amsterdam and the first leg is by train, you still to pick your train ticket in Antwerp otherwise they will not let you on the plane in Amsterdam.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: DL FO
So, it would be the same for Lyon-Paris by TGV with AF. Several times I hesitated buying my ticket from Lyon, since they are 50-100€ cheaper. Apparently, I did the right choice not to buy them.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Isn't this two entirely different things:
a) not taking the inbound flight
b) not taking the first leg of the ticket?

Not taking the first leg of the ticket does definitely not work. However,
I discarded the return flights 3 times in the past 5 years (once even on advice of the KL ticket desk in AMS), always with my FB number in the booking, and I never had any problem.

And yet, I would do it only in emergency situations, you never know if you might get into trouble (i.e. are charged for a one-way flight in the end).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I find that the airlines really cannot impose charges against you (or your TA) if you don't make the return flight. Especially on non-changeable tickets. Because, well, STUFF happens and there are many reasons why you legitimately cannot make that flight and that you cannot change it.

I've had many situations when my plans change and I cannot change my ticket so have to forfeit the return leg. If I can change it even for a fee, I would rather. But then in most cases when change fees allow changes, they usually cost more than the ticket itself. So why bother?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Although it's against the rules, airlines rarely enforce the rule and I know of quite some examples where my colleagues have also not used the return flights in order to cut costs for their departmental travel budget.

It does lead to no-shows for the airline if you do not cancel and that in turn makes airlines overbook their flights again.
But I think these full fare return fare policies are really old fashioned pricing mechanisms.
One should be able to book a oneway at a reasonable price and until this is in place, people will always try ways to circumvent the airlines policies.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ixs
I would be very surprised if this is still possible.
Incredibly this was in Dec 2009.

I didn't expect it to work, but thought I'd try checking in online for the return flight... and it worked. I called CS to confirm if I would be allowed to fly - their answer?
"No"
"But why have I been issued a valid boarding pass then?"
"I don't know Sir"

I decided to try anyway... and I was able to board the flight with no difficulty at all.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetfan
But I think these full fare return fare policies are really old fashioned pricing mechanisms.
One should be able to book a oneway at a reasonable price and until this is in place, people will always try ways to circumvent the airlines policies.
Completely agree. The smart move from the airline would be to charge one-way tickets at higher than 'half' the return fare, but lower than the return fare.

Charging almost 3x the return fare for a oneway is utterly stupid.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:39 am
ixs

Programs: Many
Incredibly this was in Dec 2009.

I didn't expect it to work, but thought I'd try checking in online for the return flight... and it worked. I called CS to confirm if I would be allowed to fly - their answer?
"No"
"But why have I been issued a valid boarding pass then?"
"I don't know Sir"

I decided to try anyway... and I was able to board the flight with no difficulty at all.
Interesting. How much time was between the missed outbound and the taken inbound leg?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ixs
Interesting. How much time was between the missed outbound and the taken inbound leg?
Four days. Both were flights operated by Cityjet (KL ticket), so I did wonder if it was a specific loophole caused by a gap in the information sharing between Cityjet and KLM.

I also had hand-luggage only, so there was no opportunity for the checkin clerk to say anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.