Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

New JB Policy? Can't move into exit row / extra legroom seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New JB Policy? Can't move into exit row / extra legroom seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Travelsonic
Now to the meat of the matter, I am wondering - if it is such a problem, why not make it possible to pay on board to upgrade yourself to those seats if they are unoccupied - or any of the extra legroom seats for that matter - if they are so dead set on making money from those seats after the plane is off the ground. I will admit I don't know *how* it could be done, but it would seem possible.
You should take some time and read the posts or do some research first. JetBlue does charge on board to upgrade.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travelsonic
Now to the meat of the matter, I am wondering - if it is such a problem, why not make it possible to pay on board to upgrade yourself to those seats if they are unoccupied - or any of the extra legroom seats for that matter - if they are so dead set on making money from those seats after the plane is off the ground. I will admit I don't know *how* it could be done, but it would seem possible.
As delighted as I am to see someone else out there who thinks there's a difference between my moving into an unoccupied seat in my same cabin and my hitting a grandmother over the head to steal her social security check :-) I do want to point out that paying on board is possible. That's what the FA asked when she approached me was to swipe my credit card for $25. For some reason JB arbitrarily decided that the "upgrade" was worth $25 on this flight even though it had been $10 the night before. I happened to value the seat at far less than $25 so I declined the credit card swipe.

Meanwhile, I'm traveling later this month to California from DC and I'm taking United instead of JB outbound, where I bought an Economy Plus seat, and on the return I selected AA over a slightly-more-attractive JB flight because AA gives me an exit row seat and laptop power.

The policy is certainly JB's choice to have, but it's not revenue neutral. As with all policies it gets factored into customers' purchase decisions, and in this case the manner (arbitrary) in which it was applied had a big impact on my satisfaction with the policy.

--J
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jbsjbs
As delighted as I am to see someone else out there who thinks there's a difference between my moving into an unoccupied seat in my same cabin and my hitting a grandmother over the head to steal her social security check :-)
If I were a coffee drinker, it would be all over my keyboard.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Igotmybigboypantson
Yes it was the right call. It is a product that they charge for and if you don't pay for it I don't see why you feel entitled to the seat for free. If you paid to play 9 holes and the back 9 at a golf course is empty do you think you should be allowed to play it for free? What about an empty luxury suite at a hotel when you paid for a standard room?

I wouldn't pay the $25 either for a 90 minute flight but I wouldn't feel entitled to help myself either. Would you have paid $10? That is the normal fee for a BOSIAD flight, I guess you happened to book the one flight in each direction (IADBOS 304 & BOSIAD 307) that is $25.
^^

So it would be ok for you to take the seat because "full fare passengers" should not be offended? I find that attitude offensive.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 98103
^^

So it would be ok for you to take the seat because "full fare passengers" should not be offended? I find that attitude offensive.
I don't think I understand your post . . . are you referring to "Igotmybigboypantson" who you quote, or to me? I don't recall saying that I think full fare passengers should not be offended, though in general it's not very good economics to annoy the people who spend the most for your product. Not even saying that this policy does that, just that in general I try and keep my most profitable customers happy. Seems logical.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:42 pm

Location: BOS. Postings are my personal observations and opinions only and do not reflect the official position of JetBlue Airways.
Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Hertz PC, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Ambassador
Totally agree. I forwarded the signage suggestion to JB management.
As a JetBlue pilot, my sincere thanks for forwarding the suggestion to management. I think the idea of enforcing the EML cabin in a manner similar to UA's E+ is a good one; our management, however, has not consistently communicated the intent or goals to either our crewmembers or customers.

Come to think of it, several other things here happen that way. Thanks for your business and feedback and hopefully we'll see you back when our product meets your needs!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aewanabe
As a JetBlue pilot, my sincere thanks for forwarding the suggestion to management. I think the idea of enforcing the EML cabin in a manner similar to UA's E+ is a good one; our management, however, has not consistently communicated the intent or goals to either our crewmembers or customers.

Come to think of it, several other things here happen that way. Thanks for your business and feedback and hopefully we'll see you back when our product meets your needs!
What a gracious message. If it's any consolation, I think most of us work for companies who don't always clearly communicate what's going on or why.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:09 pm

As delighted as I am to see someone else out there who thinks there's a difference between my moving into an unoccupied seat in my same cabin and my hitting a grandmother over the head to steal her social security check :-) I do want to point out that paying on board is possible.
Everybody who said I should read up here / on the JB website is right. I missed that factoid before my post and it serves me right. I've been neglecting my passion for aviation/airline ops knowledge lately it seems.

The arbitrary nature of a) enforcing the policy and b) how much they charge, IF I am correctly seeing that as a problem, but I guess I'm preaching to the choir.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:12 pm

Location: BOS. Postings are my personal observations and opinions only and do not reflect the official position of JetBlue Airways.
Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Hertz PC, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Ambassador
Thanks jbsjbs... it's a little consolation. I often feel like upper management has some truly great ideas for running and marketing the airline, but they seem to be lost in translation by our middle management. As a result, execution ends up being flawed.

That seems to be true both for us as crewmembers and for our Customers like you. Inconsistency in application and communication of policies leads to far more aggravation than the actual policy itself. For example, the change in EML policy was communicated to us as a change in the cashless cabin PDA functionality, without any real emphasis on the idea of protecting or promoting the EML product. And I'm at complete loss to explain the difference in fees by flight number. At any rate thanks again for the feedback and your business. I'm told that upper management is able to occasionally act on feedback here at Flyertalk; hopefully that will continue to be true.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, Marriott Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by Aewanabe
Thanks jbsjbs... it's a little consolation. I often feel like upper management has some truly great ideas for running and marketing the airline, but they seem to be lost in translation by our middle management. As a result, execution ends up being flawed.

That seems to be true both for us as crewmembers and for our Customers like you. Inconsistency in application and communication of policies leads to far more aggravation than the actual policy itself. For example, the change in EML policy was communicated to us as a change in the cashless cabin PDA functionality, without any real emphasis on the idea of protecting or promoting the EML product. And I'm at complete loss to explain the difference in fees by flight number. At any rate thanks again for the feedback and your business. I'm told that upper management is able to occasionally act on feedback here at Flyertalk; hopefully that will continue to be true.
Thanks for your perspective (even though this is not my thread). I always appreciate hearing from the airline professionals (pilots, FA, GA) and getting the other side of the story. When traveling ( and occasionally aggravated at something) I don't get the other side of the story to appreciate that there are other perspectives other than mine at the time. It also makes the airline feel a bit more personal. The UA pilot and FA threads have been great at explaining a whole host of circumstances that arise while traveling. Please continue to give your views on the issues (and encourage your peers to as well).

Best regards
Old Sep 4, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Thanks all for chiming on this, especially if you have communicated your concerns with the company.

I believe you will see signs in the future. Robin Hayes has communicated with us in BOS that we will be seeing new upgrades to our product such as signage in our cabin (presumably along overhead bins) to separate the EML cabin. There are other products upgrades/introductions that Robin spoke to us about that may come online with the new TB program.. Stay tuned and thanks all!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
What is going to happen if you have a flight that few people are willing to pay for EML and everyone is crammed in the back but due to weight and balance issues, the flight crew asks passengers to please move forward to the EML section? I was on a JFK-IAD A320 flight earlier this year where this scenario happened. Will B6 refund $25 to those who paid to sit up front? If they have the capability to charge for onboard upgrades, they should have the ability to refund if operational reasons require people moving up for free.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by RxCapt
What is going to happen if you have a flight that few people are willing to pay for EML and everyone is crammed in the back but due to weight and balance issues, the flight crew asks passengers to please move forward to the EML section? I was on a JFK-IAD A320 flight earlier this year where this scenario happened. Will B6 refund $25 to those who paid to sit up front? If they have the capability to charge for onboard upgrades, they should have the ability to refund if operational reasons require people moving up for free.
This would seem no different than an op-up into first. Airlines don't refund the cash, miles, upgrade instruments, etc. that some people voluntarily use to confirm a better seat, just because someone else has a lucky day.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:21 am

Ha I can confirm enforcement today! Just got off the 815 BOS - MCO flight. The girl sitting middle nxt to me didn't have TV so I told her she could have my seat and hopped back to an empty row 10. I enjoyed a nap but when I woke up a very pretty and very nice FA shook her head at me and said 'sorry sir you gotta go back to ur seat'. I happily obliged... Then again I was flying non-rev so I have ZERO complaints!

I LOVE jetBlue!!!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I flew Virgin America to Vegas last Saturday. They have a HUGE upcharge for their version of EML seats.

The first row in the main cabin (which is one of their EML rows) was empty. Three guys traveling together were sitting in the row behind the empty one. The guy in the middle jumped into the empty row when they closed the door. The FA told him he could stay but that he would not get the perks associated with that seat (i.e, free food and drinks).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.