Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Inflight Crewmember punched on flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Crewmember punched on flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
ConciergeMike, please also remember that it doesn't matter what it is - the FAA mandates that all airlines include something in the pre-departure announcements along the lines of "It is federal law to comply with all instructional signs, posted placards, and most importantly, crewmember instructions." In this case, I side with the FA 100%. Not only do they make the announcement about 100 times in addition to the lighted no smoking signs above your seat and throughout the cabin, but this is a disturbance to the other pax - ie. second-hand smoke.
I'm not saying that I'm disputing any of the above. I side with the FA also, but my question revolved around the method more than anything else. I just wonder if opening the situation with something verbal rather than physical (FA testified that he never touched Szele, I know...by physical I mean the act of the cigarette's removal) would have altered the situation somewhat. And I further agree that second-hand smoke is a disturbance most anywhere, especially so in a place where it is not allowed. My focus remains on the beginning of the incident and that's it. FWIW, when she wriggled out of those flexcuffs, I would preferred to read an affidavit of the passengers rising as one and stopping her in true good old New York fashion, with a proper asskicking.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Long Distance
The real question is why do they allow matches and lighters?
Even better!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Here's a Q that should probably be posted in T/S/S: Why are cigarettes allowed in the passenger cabin in the first place?
Because they are not a security risk. Smokers shouldn't be forced to check their bag just to carry cigs. I would also imagine that they would be pretty easy to smuggle through in carry on luggage.

We have already tried the lighter and match ban, and found it pretty much unenforceable. At this point, matches and lighters are allowed in carry-on, but not in checked baggage, although there is no real enforcement.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
The problem with the ban was that lighters and matches could sneek through the checkpoint in the pockets of customers. Lighters and matches would not set off the metal detector and customers started to figure this out rather quickly and word spread.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by djk7

We have already tried the lighter and match ban,
Lighters were banned but passengers could still take up to four books of matched on board.

Source: Washington Post

Back to the topic, if a crew member is being physically assaulted by a passenger, is the crew member allowed to hit back? Or can they only try to "restrain" the passenger?

What if another passenger had intervened and decked the woman? Would the other passenger have been taken off the flight and/or charged as well?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
Lighters were banned but passengers could still take up to four books of matched on board.

Source: Washington Post

Back to the topic, if a crew member is being physically assaulted by a passenger, is the crew member allowed to hit back? Or can they only try to "restrain" the passenger?

What if another passenger had intervened and decked the woman? Would the other passenger have been taken off the flight and/or charged as well?
Yes, she will be charged as inference of the crew. She could be very tougher time in the prison for 20 years. She supposed not to do smoke during the flight. Its should be waited when the plane is landed by destinations cities. Then she can allows smoke by outside of the terminal.

I think TSA should considering banned the lighter & matches. Because it was too many people were trying to smoke on the plane. I think the policy will eventually changed soon as possible.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:36 pm

Well she's being held on $10,000 bail according to The Rocky Mountain Times.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Will able she getting out of jails? She won't cause a problems while she is out of jails on her bailed. She need go to court for that what she done something wrong while she flew on B6 from last week. I'm sure she will payable fined for her inference of the crew. It's against the laws but, she does not allowed fly onboard the aircraft.

I think you're absolutely right about lighters should being banned through security checkpoint. Because lighter & matches could be very extremely dangerous for flying on the commercial jets. I thinks TSA will have issued bans the lighters & matches beyond of security screening.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:16 pm
VIB

Wink

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
See? Flight attendants are indeed more than glorified waitresses, as some folks on this board would have you believe. Do you think a person assaulting a Waffle House waitress would be held on federal charges? I don't think so.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:52 pm

She has been released after posting the $10,000 bail set for her. However the judge has forbid her from travel on ANY commercial flight. So it is going to be a long train ride or drive from DEN to NYC! Not to mention she has no place to stay while in DEN unless family members flew out to meet her.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Ohhh, Christina's at it again....

http://cbs4denver.com/crime/Punch.ar....2.819131.html
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by JAX2BOS

Testing positive for cocaine...

Who'd believe it?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:19 pm

See kids, this is what happes when you don't say "NO" to drugs!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Update

It's been some time...There was talk about 6 months to 20 years in prison, and it seems all she gets is 5 years probation, not allowed to fly commercially during that time, and about $8,000 to be paid to JetBlue. Is it me, or does this sound a little weak?

story: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_11638074
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:28 pm

That's the government's case. I'm sure that there will be civil assult charges as well from the flight attendant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.