Wiki Posts
Search

B6 to join Star Alliance ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

B6 to join Star Alliance ?

So, what is the buzz? With LH buying into Jet Blue, will JetBlue become part of Star Alliance, and earn real frequent flyer miles?

I am hoping.

John
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
In the earnings call Dave said that there are no current plans to join any alliance. I see a large codeshare partnership on the horizon with LH, but as far as entering Star, I don't see that happening for a few years if at all.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It would be strange for a code-sharing agreement to materialize without comparable reciprocity in mileage earning. It could happen but it would be rare. I suppose B6 could assign more points to the longer flights and allow earning on the code-share flights, and LH could figure out how to credit them to M&M appropriately, but it would probably be pretty confusing from a marketing perspective.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Hmmm

This could be quite random, but a guy in a sports blazer boarded my flight from JFK to RSW wearing a Swiss/Star Alliance pin. I said I liked his pin and he mentioned that he was with Swiss marketing. FYI: Swiss has an executive on our board and Swiss is wholly owned by LH...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by JAX2BOS
This could be quite random, but a guy in a sports blazer boarded my flight from JFK to RSW wearing a Swiss/Star Alliance pin. I said I liked his pin and he mentioned that he was with Swiss marketing. FYI: Swiss has an executive on our board and Swiss is wholly owned by LH...
Did he pay for his ticket?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
As sbm12 pointed out, the marketing end of making *A happen would stink on several levels for the existing carriers in *A because of the incompatibles of points to miles. I don't think the TrueBlue loyalists want their system to go away, but OTOH, TrueBlue as it stands now has been commented on by some as being a block in B6's road to success.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by j3823x
Did he pay for his ticket?
I would have no way of knowing.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:19 pm
Suspended

was gonna start a thread but this is a better place.

My question isnt if B6 will join *A, but if CO and UA merge (call it whatever you want) then LH really wont need B6 as CO flys everywhere out of EWR.

The B6 thing was due to UA not having any real presence in NY. So if CO and UA get married then Im sure that wil mean CO jumps from ST to *A. Then since LH already has completed the purchase of the special B6 stk and they said it was simply an investment, then maybe thats how it will stay.

after all LH already has a few flights into EWR on a daily basis and if CO and UA gets together they can probably shift some more flights that go into JFK over to EWR and code share with CO out of EWR. This way LH can still offer something other then a coach seat for the domestic segment,thats if it isnt served by an RJ (and a big if at that).

LH can still offer connections with B6 for those who want them but CO will be a better fit,IMO.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Better fit is one thing, but more feed always translates into more dollars. LH has invested in a large operation out of JFK that cannot be easily shifted to EWR, and also while the catchment areas of JFK and EWR overlap, they are also substantially different and complementary. Thus simply because CO were to join *A (which might never happen or might not happen for a long time) does not entail LH limiting or reducing the scope of its cooperation with B6.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:15 pm

This would be a major major undertaking, as JetBlue is on a completely different system from every other carrier, does not participate in interline agreements with anybody, does not participate in the traditional Bank Settlement for airline tickets and distributes 100% of its tickets sales through its website and call center, does not have baggage agreements , and does not pop up on 3rd party websites (I don't believe).
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

JetBlue is searchable on ITA, so their fares are in the GDS systems. Furthermore, they have a baggage interline agreement coming online soon with EI. Sure it is just one carrier and not even all that big of one, but they are adding that sort of thing as well.

I agree that it is a big undertaking to integrate into an alliance, and the few things you noted are just some of the reasons it won't happen in the near future, IMO.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 1, 2008 at 7:38 am Reason: removed the comment about expedia, etc.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by sbm12
They can be booked by corporate TAs, but not in the other online travel sites (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.).
Not true - they started showing up on Travelocity last year, and I'm pretty sure on Expedia and Orbitz fairly recently. However, you can't buy a ticket with both B6 and another airline, as you can do with much of the other airlines (eg. a DL leg and UA leg on one ticket).
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
I can't see a domestic airline joining an international alliance.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by Max The Distance
I can't see a domestic airline joining an international alliance.
B6 flies international, CUN, SXM, AUA, BDA, and many other places I probaly missed. Just to provide an example. Your idea of a "domestic" (not domestic-only) airline not joining an international alliance is false, AS codeshares with many airlines like AA/DL/BA/Any airline into SEA not US/UA. AS would be part of an alliance but achieves the same result with multitudinous airline partners (alliance of AS allied airlines).
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Most *A carriers are full service with premium cabins and airport lounges. I don't see B6 joining because of those factors. I agree with the CO/UA idea being a good marriage in LH's perspective.

That may change as my first B6 flight is in April. We shall see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.