Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Blue to Portland, OR (PDX)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Smile Jet Blue to Portland, OR (PDX)

Just booked a flight for the first week of September.

Surprised there's only one flight out and whats worse its arrives at 11pm.

What would you guys recommend to do or see in Portland on a very short visit?

thanks,
--Russ
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:10 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
Just booked a flight for the first week of September.

Surprised there's only one flight out and whats worse its arrives at 11pm.

What would you guys recommend to do or see in Portland on a very short visit?

thanks,
--Russ
Most of B6's cities started out this way (BUR and LGB from JFK are the only two that come to mind that didn't). JFK to ONT and TUS also have identical service setups. For the longest time PHX and SEA were in that boat but gained the year round day time flight in more recent times.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I coulda swore when I checked a few months back there was a morning flight and an evening flight

I could be wrong...

Funny as I was booking the trip I punched in Portland, ME by mistake... almost freaked out to see the rate, couldn't beleive my eyes. It was too good to be true, of course... it wans't true, lol I crack myself up!

--Russ
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Jersey, reminds me of the good old (true) story about the guy who wanted to get to Oakland, California but instead ended up in Auckland, NZ

PDX has always, and remains for now at 1x daily. From what I hear the route does generally well, but I don't think it warrants adding a second flight, as the traffic is not nearly as heavy like it is with SEA.

I've never been there (skipped over OR on my SEA-SFO flight as part of a 1-month western trip 6 years ago), but would recommend visiting Mt. Hood. I'm not exactly sure how far it is from the PDX-area, but it's worth the drive (if within 2 hours), in my opinion. The scenery is supposed to be amazing, and I believe (don't quote me on this for sure) that it's the talles mountain in the continental U.S.

How long will you be going for? Also, what time of year?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
and I believe (don't quote me on this for sure) that it's the talles mountain in the continental U.S.
Actually, that would be Mt. Whitney in CA.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by hobo13
Actually, that would be Mt. Whitney in CA.
You're right, I learn something new every day

After some quick Googling, I found that McKinley in Alaska is the tallest in the U.S.

In the continental U.S., Whitney is about 14,500 ft. and Hood is 11,249 ft...still a pretty nice-size mountain

Definitely check it out if it's not that far and you have the time.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

Definitely check it out if it's not that far and you have the time.
From Portland, head east on US Highway 26 to Government Camp, then take the spur road to Timberline Lodge, which takes you halfway up the side of the mountain. (They offer year-round skiiing, if that interests you). From there, take Highway 35 up to Hood River and then head back west to Portland on I-84 (or skip over to the Historic Columbia River Highway).

This loop will take all day depending on how many places you stop.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
PDX has always, and remains for now at 1x daily. From what I hear the route does generally well, but I don't think it warrants adding a second flight, as the traffic is not nearly as heavy like it is with SEA.
PDX has historically been a tough market to build. There's not as much O/D opportunity there as the local Chamber of Commerce might like to believe. DL had a minihub going at PDX for some years in the 1990s including a NRT flight but couldn't make it pay and shut it down. It's funny because there is no other major metro area for hundreds of miles in any direction, but it's a hard place for the airlines to turn a dollar.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

don't laugh... but I'm going for less than a day.

--Russ
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:01 pm

don't laugh... but I'm going for less than a day.

--Russ
Will you have a rental car? There's plenty you can do in less than a day. If you don't have a rental, you can easily get downtown on the Max train Red Line (approx $2 each way). However, you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676597
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Oh look at that... a one day in Portland thread... thanks!

yup, I'll be picking up a car and driving east... far, far, far... east!

--Russ
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:04 pm

Just take MAX into dwntwn Portland and walk around near Pioneer Square. Take a walk up to NW23rd street and check out the shops and restaurants around there.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:59 pm

Oh look at that... a one day in Portland thread... thanks!

yup, I'll be picking up a car and driving east... far, far, far... east!

--Russ
If by "east" you mean east along I-84 to Idaho and points beyond, then the easy and obvious quickie sightseeing choice is Multnomah Falls, since you don't even have to get off the interstate. It has its own exit and you park in the median and walk under the highway to get to the falls. And it's free. And the drive through the Gorge along I-84 is super in and of itself.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
If by "east" you mean east along I-84 to Idaho and points beyond, then the easy and obvious quickie sightseeing choice is Multnomah Falls, since you don't even have to get off the interstate. It has its own exit and you park in the median and walk under the highway to get to the falls. And it's free. And the drive through the Gorge along I-84 is super in and of itself.
this is excellent information!

what else you got...?

--Russ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.