Wiki Posts
Search

Test for Jetblue's JFK Ops

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Jetblue
Test for Jetblue's JFK Ops

Well, it's time to see how they are operational plan will change for the snow that is supposed to come into NYC tonight. They are saying anywhere from 3-6 inches of snow, followed by sleet, which should make the airport a mess. I'm curious to see what their response will be.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
I think, just like any company recovering from a major malfunctions, we will overreact on this one because we don't want a repeat preformance. It will be a while before we can find the happy medium. So far flights to and from IAD, PIT and CMH have been cancelled, at least to BOS, I dont know about JFK.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:47 am

I would just like my flight to make it to JFK before the weather. We just went mechanical in Charlotte. No clue when we'll get out...but i just hope it is before weather.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by gj83
I would just like my flight to make it to JFK before the weather. We just went mechanical in Charlotte. No clue when we'll get out...but i just hope it is before weather.
Was it this flight:

2/25/07 Sunday
Flight 1084
CLT JFK
Scheduled Deaprture 0940 (940a)
Mechanical. Have to wait 2 hours for the right parts. Ferry flight launched to operate this flight. Ferry flight will arrive in CLT at 2pm local and new estimated departure time is 230p local - total delay of 4 hours, 50 minutes.
All customers will receive one-way vouchers:

(copy and paste from another thread posted by JennyD)
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkaterJasp
Was it this flight:

2/25/07 Sunday
Flight 1084
Yup. Everyone stayed quite civil in CLT. It seemed like most people were going to JFK as their destination. Those of us connecting there were just going to places in NY (SYR for me, ROC for the guy in front of me) so it would have been feasible to rent a car and drive home, but I managed to get a seat on the 10:40 flight into SYR tonight.

I've never seen such civil passengers during irregular ops.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Well, here you go for tomorrow (Monday)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork

Deja Blue: With more snow coming, JetBlue cancels 68 JFK flights
Email this story
Printer friendly format
February 25, 2007, 9:02 PM EST
NEW YORK -- JetBlue canceled 68 flights scheduled into and out of Kennedy airport on Monday because of the snow that was expected to fall, a spokeswoman said.

The JetBlue Airways Corp. cancellations, from among its more than 175 scheduled flights at the Queens airport, were to make sure crews and planes are in the right places so the company can quickly resume operations after the snow storm, spokeswoman Alison Eshelman said Sunday.

Up to 7 inches of snow were expected to fall in the city from Sunday night into Monday, the National Weather Service said.

Earlier this month JetBlue was heavily criticized after bad weather stranded passengers in planes at John F. Kennedy International Airport, its main hub, for up to 10 1/2 hours.

The company, which had hoped to ride out the bad weather without canceling flights, later admitted it took too long to call airport authorities for help in getting the passengers off the grounded planes. It couldn't resume normal operations for days because flight crews weren't where they were supposed to be.

More than 1,000 cancellations were caused by the Feb. 14 winter blast, and more than 100,000 passengers were affected.

Passengers whose Monday flights at Kennedy were canceled were being notified by e-mail and by telephone. They can rebook through Thursday without paying extra or can request refunds or credits for future travel, JetBlue said.

The company also canceled flights into and out of Chicago and the Washington, D.C., area over the weekend. No flights at LaGuardia Airport, where the company has smaller operations, had been canceled.

JetBlue executives have been busy apologizing for the low-fare carrier's Valentine's Day meltdown and subsequent problems getting schedules back on track. They have introduced a customers' bill of rights, compensating passengers for delays and cancellations, and have pledged to learn from their mistakes.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Local newscaster here in Los Angeles just said "Looks like jetBlue has learned its lesson" from its mistakes of a week and a half ago in describing the pre-emptive cancellations.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:27 am

From the website:
Due to winter storm warnings and inclement weather, customers booked SUNDAY, FEB. 25 to/from Richmond, VA; Washington, D.C.; Pittsburgh, PA; and Columbus, OH may rebook without fee or fare difference through Thursday, March 1.

Yeah, thanks, JetBlue. I love how they phrase this as if they are doing me a favor. Looks like I'll be getting another voucher out of this one, though quite frankly, it doesn't do me an ounce of good if I can't fly CMH-JFK and back without getting cancelled and paying hundreds of dollars to get home as planned. At least flights out on different metal are cheap on Mondays.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:59 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Well J6 decided not to take the test they have cancelled 40% of flights. They might as well become a charter company. Many charter companies are known for good service but lousy ability to take care of customers in an emergency.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by ewj
Well J6 decided not to take the test they have cancelled 40% of flights. They might as well become a charter company. Many charter companies are known for good service but lousy ability to take care of customers in an emergency.
Um, if they operate (give or take a few) 550 flights a day, and they cancelled 68 flights, that actually equals 12%, not 40%. But, then again, if they didn't cancel the flights, it would be "why aren't they cancelling flights? Haven't they learned their lesson? I am never flying them again!" Can't win.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by prhs1989
Um, if they operate (give or take a few) 550 flights a day, and they cancelled 68 flights, that actually equals 12%, not 40%. But, then again, if they didn't cancel the flights, it would be "why aren't they cancelling flights? Haven't they learned their lesson? I am never flying them again!" Can't win.
Precisely, the choice is either cancel flights or have them sit on the tarmac hoping for the go ahead from ATC.

To put in perspective, prhs, since 6:00 PM of 2/25, CO has cancelled 41 of its 115 departures out of EWR and has held 12 flights on the tarmac 3 hrs or longer, including flight 518 to TPA which was held over 6 hrs.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I won't criticize JetBlue for canceling the flights. In fact, I applaud them for doing so. That's what I have been saying they should have done a couple of weeks ago, as well as on February 12, 2006. That's also what this commentary suggests.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Precisely, the choice is either cancel flights or have them sit on the tarmac hoping for the go ahead from ATC.

To put in perspective, prhs, since 6:00 PM of 2/25, CO has cancelled 41 of its 115 departures out of EWR and has held 12 flights on the tarmac 3 hrs or longer, including flight 518 to TPA which was held over 6 hrs.
Are you sure they were "held [on the tarmac] over 6 hrs."? Continental.com shows the flight returned to the gate at EWR and finally arrived TPA 6 hours late. However, I don't see where they were held on the tarmac for over 6 hours.

Having said that, I don't think there would be nearly as much criticism of JetBlue's performance a couple of weeks ago had the issue just been that flights were spending a few hours on the tarmac (due to weather or ATC) and then departing for their destinations. That's happened to me at least a dozen times in my life. The issue for those pax (and for me last year) was 8-10 hours on the tarmac, followed by a canceled flight.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
I won't criticize JetBlue for canceling the flights. In fact, I applaud them for doing so. That's what I have been saying they should have done a couple of weeks ago, as well as on February 12, 2006. That's also what this commentary suggests.

Are you sure they were "held [on the tarmac] over 6 hrs."? Continental.com shows the flight returned to the gate at EWR and finally arrived TPA 6 hours late. However, I don't see where they were held on the tarmac for over 6 hours.

Having said that, I don't think there would be nearly as much criticism of JetBlue's performance a couple of weeks ago had the issue just been that flights were spending a few hours on the tarmac (due to weather or ATC) and then departing for their destinations. That's happened to me at least a dozen times in my life. The issue for those pax (and for me last year) was 8-10 hours on the tarmac, followed by a canceled flight.
Yes, you are right.

One clarification: I did not write that CO 518 was held "on the tarmac" for 6 hours, and, as you write, part of its delay was indeed at the gate, where, however, passengers were not allowed to deplane, so I'm not sure there was a huge effective difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.