Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

When did LGB-OAK cheapest fare go from $39 to $54

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I just noticed that the cheapest fare in the norcal-socal market is now $54. I was wondering how long the $39 insanity could last. Does anybody here know when this jump occurred?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I just noticed that the cheapest fare in the norcal-socal market is now $54. I was wondering how long the $39 insanity could last. Does anybody here know when this jump occurred?

That's just the way their teaser fares work. When they start flying to a new city, they use an introductory rate. It was like that with Miami, Dominican Republic, and I think eventually, West Palm, others...

Just a couple months ago I got round trip for $100 to DR, now its like $190 and its not even peak time anymore....

Yeah, insane, ie enjoy it while it lasts!
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:31 pm

I don't think $39 is insane

$39 is expensive!

Hahaha. Well, I remember the good old days when WN had fares from OAK-ONT/LAX/BUR for $29 each way. After tax, roundtrip only cost $75. Then you fly 4 (double credit), get one voucher for free (value at $300). Essentially, it's free. Now that's a good deal! You know, now that I think about it.....it was only 2 years ago

BRING THAT BACK! Hahaha
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: Jetblue
Originally Posted by guynyc
That's just the way their teaser fares work. When they start flying to a new city, they use an introductory rate. It was like that with Miami, Dominican Republic, and I think eventually, West Palm, others...

Just a couple months ago I got round trip for $100 to DR, now its like $190 and its not even peak time anymore....

Yeah, insane, ie enjoy it while it lasts!
To answer the original question, it went up to $54 because $39 fares could no longer sustain profits at this fuel level. That is same reason that they took their $299 cap to $349.

GUYNYC. Those fares are not teaser fares. They have restrictions, which is common among all airlines. If you fly nonpeak, and on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday, you will find the $54 fares. Like all airlines, they do it to stimulate traffic on the slower travel days.

Secondly, they don't fly to Miami. However, they do use introductory fares for the reason stated above. To entice people to fly them, and, more so, to have the WALMART effect. They want to have the recognition that they are in the market and that they will always have the lowest fare, even though, sometimes, this may not be the case.

Thirdly, Jetblue uses a bucket system when selling seats. When you saw the 199 fare, the plane was likely nearing capacity, and, therefore, they began to sell the higher fare seats. Where as, when you bought the 100 fare, it was either a sale or you were one of the first to buy tickets for that specific flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.