Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Valuing points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2024, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Valuing points

We recently had to take a JB flight for a medical reason, and we used 50,000 points to book the flight.
Turns out, we're getting reimbursed for our costs. But how do I get reimbursed for the miles - is there a way to put a monetary value on 50,000 JB points?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:24 pm

Typically they consider points to be worth 1 cent to 1.5 cents each depending on how you use them.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:47 am

What was the cash fare for the same flight?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjbiv
What was the cash fare for the same flight?
If I knew the cost of that flight I'd submit that. BUT how does one learn what the cost of a ticket was for a specific flight being purchased on a specific day? Is there some kind of database that would show that?

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: JetBlue
I've seen 1.7 cents many times.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:34 am

There is going to be a difference of the value upon redemption vs. the replacement cost.

I had 1.3 cents in my head and Frequent Miler is pegging at 1.33: https://frequentmiler.com/reasonable...#Airline_Miles

The replacement cost is going to be higher, and if you intend to submit for that you could start the process of buying points (but not actually go through with it) and screenshot the cost.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Depending on the source, TrueBlue points are generally valued at ___. Here are several specific examples:
  • NerdWallet: 1.5 cpp
  • TPG: 1.3 cpp
  • MoneyGeek: 1.45 cpp
  • OMAAT: 1.5 cpp
So take of this what you will. I would be conservative in the estimate you provide; you don't want them to ask for receipts, since they'll be more than happy to give you the $6 per person in taxes you paid and call it a day. What you are proposing to do is risky at best.

-J.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:05 am

kind of a side question, but can i use points and/or travel bank credit to help pay to check in a bag? thank you
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
This really is a challenge. For me, personally, I think points are worth more than the travel websites value them at for one reason: refundability. I can book a flight with points and cancel it any time before departure and get 100% of the points back IN MY OWN ACCOUNT that does not expire (not a travel bank tied to an individual that expires in one year). The taxes and fees portion are another matter, sometimes they go back to the credit card, sometimes they go to a travel bank... one never knows. So far all the travel bank refunds for points purchases have gone to my own travel bank regardless of the name on the ticket, which is better than the alternative.

The travel websites don't take into account the 10% rebate if you carry a JetBlue credit card either.

I have no idea what the entity that is going to reimburse you will use to value your points, but I think cdubz has a great idea to propose the cost of replacement of those points.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by michael1023
kind of a side question, but can i use points and/or travel bank credit to help pay to check in a bag? thank you
Travel Bank can be used if you purchase checked luggage as part of the initial booking process.

Points cannot be used for checked luggage.

-J.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Travel Bank can be used if you purchase checked luggage as part of the initial booking process.

Points cannot be used for checked luggage.

-J.
can i use points to upgrade/choose new seats/EMS seats? I tried earlier and it didnt give the option. I think i am out of luck :/
Old Feb 14, 2024, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by michael1023
can i use points to upgrade/choose new seats/EMS seats? I tried earlier and it didnt give the option. I think i am out of luck :/
I don't know the answer. I encourage you to ask in the flame-free Q&A thread, where someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to assist you: Flame-Free Q&A Thread on JetBlue : Ask your newbie questions here!

As far as I know, points can only be used during the initial booking process. Then again, I haven't flown JetBlue on cash or points since 2022, so I wouldn't really know.

-J.
michael1023 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.