Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 Now Charging for Preferred Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 1:22 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

The snarky part of me thinks, well, they finally realized there's absolutely nothing distinctive about this airline to distinguish themselves from the US3 (well, aside from the fact that they can't match their operational reliability), so they might as well copy them... B6 started charging for "preferred" seats earlier this week. Seems to apply to window and aisle seats near the front of the plane. Applies to Blue and Blue Extra fares alike.

If it weren't for the fact that the A320 conversion was a total dumpster fire that took years to do, I'd think the next thing on the chopping block for them would be their generous coach leg room.

Here's an example from LGA-BOS:

Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I wonder if this change might indirectly improve operational reliability by improving weight and balance? Or maybe somebody at B6 with similar weak knowledge of the matter thinks so?

I've been on plenty of B6 flights where the back of the bus was pretty sparse with a packed front Core section.

For Mosaic's anyway, it means that in the unlikely event EMS ever fills up, at least you'll get a seat near the front. For everyone else, its like a $5 lottery ticket to improve your chances of having an empty middle seat next to you.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:41 am

Programs: JetBlue
Unbelievable.
dw and MnM24 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:01 am

They may have clipped a bit of the spirit playbook:
We give you the freedom to purchase only the things you really want during your trip. So, if you want to guarantee that Big Front Seat with extra leg room or stake your claim to that 5A window seat, go for it! Seat assignments start at just $5 per seat and vary by route and location in the aircraft. Or save more by letting us assign you a random seat assignment at check-in for free.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:22 am
dw
Original Poster

I checked a longer flight (LAX-JFK) and they were only charging $8 for that one, so at least it’s way below what the majors charge for “preferred” seats. Although I suspect that they’re just dipping their toes into this for the time being, and if there are a lot of takers, fully expect for the prices to rise over time.

Can any Mosaics check to confirm that the fee is waived for them?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 8:40 am

I'm a Mosaic 1. I spot checked one flight (B6 2432, LGA-BOS departing 09:15 on Feb 28) and indeed the fee was waived. The seats are still indicated as Core (Preferred), but upon selecting them the fee is $0.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Lol. Part of me is surprised it took them this long to implement this. The tech has been there since they started charging for EMS. The other part of me is sad to see yet another customer-unfriendly practice.

-J.
MnM24 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:14 am
dw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Lol. Part of me is surprised it took them this long to implement this. The tech has been there since they started charging for EMS. The other part of me is sad to see yet another customer-unfriendly practice.

-J.
Yes, and even awhile back (maybe starting last year or 2022?) it started indicating $0 when selecting a Core seat, so this has probably been in the works for awhile.
MnM24 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
becoming more and more like a legacy airline
infamousdx and MnM24 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:41 pm
dw
Original Poster

I suppose the one upside is that many of these seats are likely to go unassigned until day of departure, which does save them for Mosaics who can’t get EMS
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Let's be honest, B6 is only doing this for a few rows so I don't know why people are overly upset when these rows don't have more legroom.

Personally, I think it is laughable and shows how unskilled and moronic B6's analysts are when there are far more favorable seats like 25A of the single-class the A321neos that have unlimited leg room and they still aren't charging more for them. They should beg Santa for a brain next Christmas. lol
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:28 pm
dw
Original Poster

Well that didn’t last long

Just made a date change to a LGA-BOS flight I have booked and noticed that the preferred seats they were charging $5 for last week… are now priced at $15.

On a E190 where there are no middles, and where even if you’re sitting in the back it’s pretty quick to deplane… I don’t understand why anyone would pay that.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:24 pm

is it possible when i check in for my possible flight this saturday morning at the jetblue kiosk, if i want an EMS seat, the price will go down from the current and insane price of 50 per seat? thank you
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by michael1023
is it possible when i check in for my possible flight this saturday morning at the jetblue kiosk, if i want an EMS seat, the price will go down from the current and insane price of 50 per seat? thank you
EMS seats are not the same as preferred seats. This may be a better question for the Flame-Free Q&A thread

At the risk of going off topic: to answer your question, anything is possible. It depends on the date, route, time of day, and how many seats are already sold, among other factors which the public does not get to know. So maybe it will go down... but in my experience, I wouldn't count on it.

-J.
michael1023 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by dw
The snarky part of me thinks, well, they finally realized there's absolutely nothing distinctive about this airline to distinguish themselves from the US3 (well, aside from the fact that they can't match their operational reliability)
I don't know, the ability to fly non-Boeing MAX planes and free, fast wifi is pretty cool. I flew JetBlue for the first time to and from London last month, and I liked it so much that for a trip I'm taking in March to Dublin, I opted for JetBlue instead of United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.