Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 Now Charging for Preferred Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 Now Charging for Preferred Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oreocookies
I don't know, the ability to fly non-Boeing MAX planes and free, fast wifi is pretty cool. I flew JetBlue for the first time to and from London last month, and I liked it so much that for a trip I'm taking in March to Dublin, I opted for JetBlue instead of United.
If you haven't flown JetBlue much, just be prepared for operational issues. They are much less reliable than United, and when things go wrong, because they have no hubs and fewer flights, you can be delayed for days. If you really need to get somewhere on a certain date, I'd go with one of the legacy airlines.
dw, moondog, jfunk138 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
If you haven't flown JetBlue much, just be prepared for operational issues. They are much less reliable than United, and when things go wrong, because they have no hubs and fewer flights, you can be delayed for days. If you really need to get somewhere on a certain date, I'd go with one of the legacy airlines.
B6's Boston airport agents are the worst... super rude and unhelpful; they consistently uphold a "don't care attitude" during irregular operations.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:27 am

Programs: JetBlue
Originally Posted by oreocookies
I don't know, the ability to fly non-Boeing MAX planes and free, fast wifi is pretty cool. I flew JetBlue for the first time to and from London last month, and I liked it so much that for a trip I'm taking in March to Dublin, I opted for JetBlue instead of United.
At this point in time I don't want to set foot on ANY Boeing plane Max or not. These profit versus quality issues have been brewing for a long long time. Not sure if Boeing can actually turn the company around back to a solid engineering first company.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
B6's Boston airport agents are the worst... super rude and unhelpful; they consistently uphold a "don't care attitude" during irregular operations.
I don't know, the counter folks at Montego Bay for JetBlue were about as bad at customer service as any company, airline or not, that I have ever encountered.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:48 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
$15 for the rows in front of the Exit Row (except the last one) for SAN/JFK last week. How silly. So we took the row behind the Exit Row and didn't pay an extra $60 for our r/t.
michael1023 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:18 am

I booked a flight about eight months ago. Yesterday got an email that there was a schedule change and I needed to confirm or change. I confirmed and it told me to check my seats as they may have changed. I checked and they didn't change BUT I noticed that the even more space seats which were $40 ten months ago are now $71 and the preferred seats which were free ten months ago are now $20. So on a round trip for two even more space is going to cost and extra $284. Bet there are going to be a lot of empty even more space seats going forward.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Jimval26
I booked a flight about eight months ago. Yesterday got an email that there was a schedule change and I needed to confirm or change. I confirmed and it told me to check my seats as they may have changed. I checked and they didn't change BUT I noticed that the even more space seats which were $40 ten months ago are now $71 and the preferred seats which were free ten months ago are now $20. So on a round trip for two even more space is going to cost and extra $284. Bet there are going to be a lot of empty even more space seats going forward.
It's not like they'll lose money if they go out empty. So this really isn't a problem for them.

-J.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
It's not like they'll lose money if they go out empty. So this really isn't a problem for them.

-J.
I think they will. I have booked them for $40. Will not book them for $71. That price crossed the red line.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I think they will. I have booked them for $40. Will not book them for $71. That price crossed the red line.
They won't. People will book Blue Basic and those seats will fill up. People looking for cheap fares don't always care about seat selection and that usually isn't enough to sway them from one airline to another. If it were the case, they wouldn't have kept it going for several years now, and it's been quite successful for them. At the end of the day, whatever it takes to get seats filled above break-even will win out.

-J.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
They won't. People will book Blue Basic and those seats will fill up. People looking for cheap fares don't always care about seat selection and that usually isn't enough to sway them from one airline to another. If it were the case, they wouldn't have kept it going for several years now, and it's been quite successful for them. At the end of the day, whatever it takes to get seats filled above break-even will win out.

-J.
If your theory is correct then they should just call them first class and charge $250 extra for each EMS.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

If your theory is correct then they should just call them first class and charge $250 extra for each EMS.
​​​​​​Maybe they could. But without exaggerating, they don't, and they seem to do pretty decently. Either they make money on it or they don't, but they don't lose money, and in every book that matters, this is considered a win. Sucks for us but as a business it works. FWIW just about every airline does something similar to this.

-J.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
But in my case, the substantially higher cost of EMS seats (that I won't pay as the value is not there) and the new charge for the other seats upfront have turned jetBlue from my preferred airline (as I fly out of JFK) to just another airline.

To me, it is just the continuation of the erosion of what made us fall in love with jetBlue. Remember when they were a "low-cost airline". Remember when they offered great service, etc, etc.
dw and Jimval26 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:23 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Long Distance
But in my case, the substantially higher cost of EMS seats (that I won't pay as the value is not there) and the new charge for the other seats upfront have turned jetBlue from my preferred airline (as I fly out of JFK) to just another airline.

To me, it is just the continuation of the erosion of what made us fall in love with jetBlue. Remember when they were a "low-cost airline". Remember when they offered great service, etc, etc.
Wow, just checked in for my LGA-BOS tomorrow and see that they are charging $15 for the "preferred seats" on the E190 and up to $57 for EMS, which is a record high for what I've seen on this route.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:41 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We are flying SAN/BOS/SAN in November. East bound (red eye) EMS is $135. Westbound (day time) is $189. Happy to get the extra legroom for sleeping going east, but that westbound price is CRAZY
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We are flying SAN/BOS/SAN in November. East bound (red eye) EMS is $135. Westbound (day time) is $189. Happy to get the extra legroom for sleeping going east, but that westbound price is CRAZY
Seeing the $135 for a SAN-JFK flight next month, which is insane in itself. LAX-JFK used to be $50

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.