Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes is Resigning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM

It looks like according to CNBC, JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes is going to be resigning. Not sure how much of a difference it makes though, as he will remain on board of directors and serve a strategic advisor.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/08/jetb...take-helm.html
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:47 pm

Funny, I got the news alert about this story on my phone right as I waiting to board a B6 flight today - what are the odds?

Interesting timing for the move - I wonder if the old 'want to spend more time with my family' reason is the full story or not.
vegasbased likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:40 am
soy

Programs: various
He is being let go, evidenced by the fact that he is also leaving the board so will likely only be a strategic advisor for a short time. Looks more like 'gardening leave' to me.
This is long overdue, their performance under his watch has been abysmal. However replacing him with current COO does not bode well. Operations have arguably been the worst aspect of B6 for the past several years. Much more radical change is needed at B6 management
vegasbased likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L

-J.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: JetBlue
Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
Please explain. Is that because of the old guy leaving or because of the new person coming in, or both?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: Free agent
The spiral continues.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by soy
He is being let go, evidenced by the fact that he is also leaving the board so will likely only be a strategic advisor for a short time. Looks more like 'gardening leave' to me.
This is long overdue, their performance under his watch has been abysmal. However replacing him with current COO does not bode well. Operations have arguably been the worst aspect of B6 for the past several years. Much more radical change is needed at B6 management
Maybe B6 wants to have a Smisek II... we all know how poorly he performed at UA. lol
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The only one in the C-suite (that matters in day to day operations, not including side things like JetBlue Ventures, or the chief tech officer which came from southwest.... you can make your own jokes there about the IT at both airlines) with any sort of airline experience is leaving? This oughta be fun and popcorn worthy.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by fly747first
Maybe B6 wants to have a Smisek II... we all know how poorly he performed at UA. lol
Forget about him! He was resigns from UA a long time ago. He won't be working for airlines anymore. That's from the past! Move on!
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by N830MH
Forget about him! He was resigns from UA a long time ago. He won't be working for airlines anymore. That's from the past! Move on!
Underachieving CEOs often plague many airlines... take Parker... he didn't have enough at America Pest that he had to destroy US Airways and then massacre AA with his lousy policies.

p.s. Your use of exclamation points is a bit excessive.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Joanna Geraghty became COO in 2018. Since then JetBlue has declined in service and reliability. The WSJ ranked them 5 out of 9 in terms of operational performance in 2018, and they have declined ever since -- ranking dead last for the last three years in a row.

Why is the Chief Operations Officer being rewarded with a promotion after consistent poor performance?

-J.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:21 pm

Joanna delivered the operation the company had the resources to run. Poor results aren't always indicative of a poor leader (I don't have a personal opinion or knowledge of her specifically). Sometimes a poor outcome is what the leader is asked to deliver (in the form of being asked to optimize a different factor, like cost or revenue). If the board didn't like the results she was delivering, she would have been gone a long time ago and definitely not promoted.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjbiv
Joanna delivered the operation the company had the resources to run. Poor results aren't always indicative of a poor leader (I don't have a personal opinion or knowledge of her specifically). Sometimes a poor outcome is what the leader is asked to deliver (in the form of being asked to optimize a different factor, like cost or revenue). If the board didn't like the results she was delivering, she would have been gone a long time ago and definitely not promoted.
One of the few things I agree with our former president on is a quote (well, a tweet) about leadership:

-J.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
One of the few things I agree with our former president on is a quote (well, a tweet) about leadership:

-J.
Agreed. My point is just that she may be doing exactly what she has been asked to do by the board. Or she could be incompetent and the board is asleep at the wheel. I suppose we wouldn't know unless we were privy to board discussions.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And in an unexpected turn of events, Marty St. George (yes, the same!) has been named President of JetBlue: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ent-of-JetBlue

JetBlue today announced the appointment of Marty St. George to be the company’s next president, effective February 26, 2024. He will report to Joanna Geraghty, JetBlue’s current president and incoming chief executive officer.
-J.
cdubz and octr202 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.