Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Missing outbound flight of a reward ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist

If I booked a roundtrip award ticket and don't show up for the outbound, will the return get cancelled? I know it would on a revenue ticket. Does it work the same if ticket is booked with miles? Given the current storm situation on the east coast we are trying to find an alternative way to get to Houston tomorrow (and not risk Jet Blue cancelling our flight). But we would still need that return leg on tuesday (which is currenty sold out).
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
That's correct. An award ticket is still a revenue booking (as opposed to nonrevenue) and the CoC applies. If you skip any portion, the remainder of the ticket will be canceled.

If you can find an alternate flight, you should just cancel the outbound flight on its own. That way you get the value of it back. I'm sure a phone call or chat session could accomplish this relatively quickly (not including extensive hold times ).

-J.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
That's correct. An award ticket is still a revenue booking (as opposed to nonrevenue) and the CoC applies. If you skip any portion, the remainder of the ticket will be canceled.

If you can find an alternate flight, you should just cancel the outbound flight on its own. That way you get the value of it back. I'm sure a phone call or chat session could accomplish this relatively quickly (not including extensive hold times ).

-J.
Thank you for that info. Now a weather related question. Flight is from JFK to IAH at 1:45pm, which looks to be at least an hour two before the storm is to hit NYC. Weather in Houston is fine. But, the storm area (south and southwest of NYC, and thus in the flight path) is in between. Do they normally fly above or around it? And given the circumstances is there a good chance that the flight might be cancelled? I understand that no one knows for sure. Our thoughts right now is to jump on the 10am flight to San Antonio and drive the 3 hours to Houston. Not risk having the flight be cancelled last minute.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I'll offer my experience, which is probably not worth much.

1. Weather, once an aircraft is above 10,000 feet, is seldom a problem.
2. My experience with JetBlue is that if they are expecting a big disaster at BOS or JFK will start to hold planes elsewhere and cancel flights, sometimes before the first flake flies. My guess is, you will know within 4 hours of scheduled departure if your flight is going or not. They would much rather have that aircraft sitting in Houston where it won't freeze than in JFK, where they will have to clean it off on Sunday night.
3. Based on reports I've heard about the weather, this is NOT a close the airport type of storm, and Saturday's are low volume travel days. This storm may not have a huge impact on airport operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.