Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue Blue Fare Change Flight/Cancellation Policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Let's say you book a flight for December 22 right and it's December 8 now. Let say your flight is on December 22 at 2pm. If you book a Jetblue blue ticket right now... when is the last day and time to cancel to get travelbank credit? I know you have 24 hour courtesy cancel so you can cancel anytime within 24 hours and get the money back to your credit card. But after 24 hours, when is the latest that you can cancel it for travelbank credit or change the flight date and time? I assume it's December 15 at 2pm? Or is it December 14 at 2pm? So as long as you cancel your flight before this date and time, you will get travelbank credited that can be used up to 1 year? That travelbank will be allowed to be 1 year from December 15 or 14 or December 8?

So if you want to cancel or change the flight on say December 19, you can't do that right since it has to be done more than 7 days from departure? Well you can cancel it or change it but there will be a $100 fee? So say your ticket cost $250, then you lose $100 but you get to keep $150 in travel bank or not? Also the confusing thing here is the luggage as well? Say you book a jetblue flight for $250 and with luggage it's $280. Well it would show $250 and $30 separately in your credit card billing statement. So here... if you cancel it say 3 days before your flight departure, it would cost you $100 but you still have $150 or $180 in travelbank credit?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:54 am

blue ticket can be canceled right before the "scheduled departure" for full refund back to travelbank. I wouldn't chance it though, and if you know you are going to cancel, cancel it one day before the flight to allow to website problems, long telephone hold delays, IT glitches, etc. All of which are far too common with this airline.

Hard to understand the your second paragraph, but the policy is here:

https://www.jetblue.com/help/changes...ns-and-standby
  • If you cancelled your flight before the scheduled departure time, and are no longer travelling, all extras (seats, bags, priority security, etc.) will be automatically refunded to your original form of payment.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You asked a lot here so I am breaking it down by question.

Originally Posted by jerry90210
Let's say you book a flight for December 22 right and it's December 8 now. Let say your flight is on December 22 at 2pm. If you book a Jetblue blue ticket right now... when is the last day and time to cancel to get travelbank credit?
You can cancel until the flight starts boarding. I generally use one hour before departure as rule of thumb. You will have to cancel check-in (which you can do on the app or line in a matter of seconds) and then cancel the ticket (which can also be done online, but I don't recall if it can be done through the app; if you call or use chat, there is a $25 fee). Make sure you leave enough time.

I know you have 24 hour courtesy cancel so you can cancel anytime within 24 hours and get the money back to your credit card. But after 24 hours, when is the latest that you can cancel it for travelbank credit or change the flight date and time? I assume it's December 15 at 2pm? Or is it December 14 at 2pm?
See above. You already asked this a different way, but it's the same question.

So as long as you cancel your flight before this date and time, you will get travelbank credited that can be used up to 1 year? That travelbank will be allowed to be 1 year from December 15 or 14 or December 8?
Travel Bank will be good for one year from date of purchase.

So if you want to cancel or change the flight on say December 19, you can't do that right since it has to be done more than 7 days from departure?
As long as you are on a Blue or higher fare, you can cancel up to an hour-ish before departure and get a Travel Bank. The 7 days before departure rule is only for the 24-hour cash refund. You can still get a Travel Bank credit.

Well you can cancel it or change it but there will be a $100 fee? So say your ticket cost $250, then you lose $100 but you get to keep $150 in travel bank or not?
JetBlue does not have change fees for Blue and higher fares. Where are you getting this information from? Per this page (the very first result when I googled "jetblue change fees"):
There are no change or cancellation fees on most of our fares, except Blue Basic.
Also the confusing thing here is the luggage as well? Say you book a jetblue flight for $250 and with luggage it's $280. Well it would show $250 and $30 separately in your credit card billing statement.
I don't know the specifics but one way or another you would get the money back in the form of a Travel Bank. I'm not sure if it would be a single $280 TB or a $250 TB and a $30 TB. It shouldn't really make a difference.

So here... if you cancel it say 3 days before your flight departure, it would cost you $100 but you still have $150 or $180 in travelbank credit?
Again there are no change fees. AFAIK the $100 fee is made up, unless you are talking about the nonrefundable DR tax or something similar to wherever you're flying if applicable. That is not a fee, it is a tax or duty required by a foreign government, and has nothing to do with JetBlue. In that case it would be deducted from the Travel Bank ($280 - 100 = $180, or if it is in fact broken up with the bags then it would be from the TB for the airfare, so $250 - 100 = $150).

-J.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You asked a lot here so I am breaking it down by question.

You can cancel until the flight starts boarding. I generally use one hour before departure as rule of thumb. You will have to cancel check-in (which you can do on the app or line in a matter of seconds) and then cancel the ticket (which can also be done online, but I don't recall if it can be done through the app; if you call or use chat, there is a $25 fee). Make sure you leave enough time.

See above. You already asked this a different way, but it's the same question.

As long as you are on a Blue or higher fare, you can cancel up to an hour-ish before departure and get a Travel Bank. The 7 days before departure rule is only for the 24-hour cash refund. You can still get a Travel Bank credit.

JetBlue does not have change fees for Blue and higher fares. Where are you getting this information from? Per this page (the very first result when I googled "jetblue change fees"):

I don't know the specifics but one way or another you would get the money back in the form of a Travel Bank. I'm not sure if it would be a single $280 TB or a $250 TB and a $30 TB. It shouldn't really make a difference.

Again there are no change fees. AFAIK the $100 fee is made up, unless you are talking about the nonrefundable DR tax or something similar to wherever you're flying if applicable. That is not a fee, it is a tax or duty required by a foreign government, and has nothing to do with JetBlue. In that case it would be deducted from the Travel Bank ($280 - 100 = $180, or if it is in fact broken up with the bags then it would be from the TB for the airfare, so $250 - 100 = $150).

-J.

Thanks for the response. Okay so the you won't get a refund back if you cancel or change the flight it it departures in less than 7 days is only for a credit card refund to your original payment? If so, okay that makes sense.

I am surprised that if you purchased a jetblue blue ticket, you could actually cancel it on the day of the departure before it starts boarding and you get the travelbank. So wouldn't that mean if you are going to be late and can't make it on time for check in, let say it's 2.5 hours from your departure and you have to show up 2 hours before your international flight or say it's 1.5 hours from your domestic flight and it's 1 hour before your domestic flight and you not going to make it to check in with checked luggage, you could cancel it on the phone and get travel bank? If so, that is amazing. You say the cutoff time is an hour before departure but it's before it departs but say you have to get there in 30 minutes but you can't, well you cancel it and you getting travel bank seems nice. Is jetblue more lenient with this than the other airlines like delta and american even if you book main cabin there? Getting to cancel on the day of departure and until the flight starts boarding seems to be a lot.

You mention about first cancelling your check in first. I am confused by this. I never check in on the app, I check in when I get there. So this wouldn't apply to me right? It doesn't make sense to check in at home or a hotel first right before you get to the airport unless you have no checked bags? If you have checked bags, you should always check in there at the airport? Reason is because in case you are going to be late or can't make it for your flight, well you didn't check in yet on the phone so just cancel it and get travelbank?

Also wouldn't this mean if you find a jetblue ticket as a good price and you going to buy jetblue blue, you could just purchase it to lock it up at that price? So even to the day before or the day of departure if you don't want to fly, you could then cancel it for travel bank ticket? Or say few days later after you book a jetblue blue flight and notice a lower price around the days you were to going to fly but you don't need to fly that exact day, say you want whatever is the lowest if it's possible, well now you can cancel and rebook or change it and you use the travel bank and you now have an additional travelbank? Or if you just want to change the day well you can do that? Does delta or american allow the same? This seems like you have lot of options when booking a jetblue blue ticket since you cancel and still get travelbank.

Was jetblue always lenient with this when booking jetblue blue? So all those restrictions you get is with jetblue basic and the basic cabin when it comes to delta and american right?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
There's a lot here as well so I'm going to unpack it point by point.

Thanks for the response. Okay so the you won't get a refund back if you cancel or change the flight it it departures in less than 7 days is only for a credit card refund to your original payment? If so, okay that makes sense.
Per the page I linked in my prior post, specifically in the section titled "Cancellations within 24 hours":
If your travel was booked seven days or more prior to the scheduled departure date, you have 24 hours from the time the booking was made to cancel your reservation without being charged a cancellation fee. The entire booking must be cancelled to qualify (not applicable for JetBlue Vacations reservations).
That is the only caveat of booking less than seven days in advance. You can still always get a Travel Bank for the value of the ticket up until an hour or so before departure.

I am surprised that if you purchased a jetblue blue ticket, you could actually cancel it on the day of the departure before it starts boarding and you get the travelbank. So wouldn't that mean if you are going to be late and can't make it on time for check in, let say it's 2.5 hours from your departure and you have to show up 2 hours before your international flight or say it's 1.5 hours from your domestic flight and it's 1 hour before your domestic flight and you not going to make it to check in with checked luggage, you could cancel it on the phone and get travel bank? If so, that is amazing. You say the cutoff time is an hour before departure but it's before it departs but say you have to get there in 30 minutes but you can't, well you cancel it and you getting travel bank seems nice. Is jetblue more lenient with this than the other airlines like delta and american even if you book main cabin there? Getting to cancel on the day of departure and until the flight starts boarding seems to be a lot.
IME this is the case with most airlines. I have canceled AS and DL tickets (as well at JB) very close-in to departure, sometimes even after I've gotten to the airport and gone through security. Once I had an emergency at home and had to leave; another time, I had a WN ticket booked as well and ended up taking them since it was cheaper and (surprisingly) on time (though I later regretted that decision and got to my destination nearly three hours late, in the middle of the night).

You mention about first cancelling your check in first. I am confused by this. I never check in on the app, I check in when I get there. So this wouldn't apply to me right? It doesn't make sense to check in at home or a hotel first right before you get to the airport unless you have no checked bags? If you have checked bags, you should always check in there at the airport? Reason is because in case you are going to be late or can't make it for your flight, well you didn't check in yet on the phone so just cancel it and get travelbank?
Correct. If you never checked in, then you can go straight to canceling the ticket. I always check in online or with the app at T-24, it's just a habit for me. But if you have checked luggage it doesn't really make a difference.

Also wouldn't this mean if you find a jetblue ticket as a good price and you going to buy jetblue blue, you could just purchase it to lock it up at that price? So even to the day before or the day of departure if you don't want to fly, you could then cancel it for travel bank ticket? Or say few days later after you book a jetblue blue flight and notice a lower price around the days you were to going to fly but you don't need to fly that exact day, say you want whatever is the lowest if it's possible, well now you can cancel and rebook or change it and you use the travel bank and you now have an additional travelbank? Or if you just want to change the day well you can do that? Does delta or american allow the same? This seems like you have lot of options when booking a jetblue blue ticket since you cancel and still get travelbank.
This is correct, and is the case with most major airlines in the USA (as long as you aren't on a basic economy ticket). I very often buy tickets to "lock in the price" as you essentially put it, and if I see the price go down (I often set alerts with Google Flights) I will cancel for a Travel Bank or similar credit, and rebook with said credit.

Was jetblue always lenient with this when booking jetblue blue?
IIRC Blue fares have always permitted this.

So all those restrictions you get is with jetblue basic and the basic cabin when it comes to delta and american right?
Yes.

-J.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

There's a lot here as well so I'm going to unpack it point by point.

Per the page I linked in my prior post, specifically in the section titled "Cancellations within 24 hours":

That is the only caveat of booking less than seven days in advance. You can still always get a Travel Bank for the value of the ticket up until an hour or so before departure.

IME this is the case with most airlines. I have canceled AS and DL tickets (as well at JB) very close-in to departure, sometimes even after I've gotten to the airport and gone through security. Once I had an emergency at home and had to leave; another time, I had a WN ticket booked as well and ended up taking them since it was cheaper and (surprisingly) on time (though I later regretted that decision and got to my destination nearly three hours late, in the middle of the night).

Correct. If you never checked in, then you can go straight to canceling the ticket. I always check in online or with the app at T-24, it's just a habit for me. But if you have checked luggage it doesn't really make a difference.

This is correct, and is the case with most major airlines in the USA (as long as you aren't on a basic economy ticket). I very often buy tickets to "lock in the price" as you essentially put it, and if I see the price go down (I often set alerts with Google Flights) I will cancel for a Travel Bank or similar credit, and rebook with said credit.

IIRC Blue fares have always permitted this.

Yes.

-J.

Wow thank you very much for explaining all this very clearly for me. I am very surprised that even american and delta allows this as well as long as it isn't basic economy with them.

So you are also saying if you book a jetblue blue flight say right now and the departure is 2 days from now even. You can cancel it anytime now until that day you board and that still gives you the travelbank? So no caring about more than 7 days or booking less than 7 days, you will get travelbank regardless as long as booking with jetblue blue?

What do you mean you had a WN ticket booked as well? You are saying you could have 2 airline tickets with 2 different airlines booked for the same day and similar time and then cancel one of them on that day when you get to the airport? But if you do that, you obviously have to cancel at least one of them? Why would anyone do this? In case the earlier one gets cancelled, then you go on the other one? But you will get travelbank and you make sure you use that travelbank later on?

Okay so checking in before you go the airport isn't good idea if you have a checked bag. That is why I never understood why someone would do that. Like what if you don't make it to the airport in time, then checking in already doesn't make any sense at all especially if you can still cancel it. But cancelling the check in and then cancelling the flight for travelbank isn't that big of a hassle right? By hassle I mean the first part of unchecking in. The only reason for you to check in whether the day before or the day of your flight before you get to the airport is if you are sure you will get there on time, but most importantly you have zero checked luggage right? With checked luggage, checking in before you get to airport does nothing at all? It doesn't save you time etc? Also the thing is when you check in at the counter, they always give you a boarding ticket. Now if you check in before you get to airport and have no checked luggage, do you print your boarding ticket at home? Or you just print it out at the kiosk at the airport? Then again you checking in at home before you get to the airport is so you don't have to check in at the airport right? But if you check in at the airport, do you need to wait in line to check in with the agent to get that physical boarding pass? Or can you actually print that boarding pass on the kiosk?

For me, I always have checked luggage so I first have to use the kiosk first and then wait in line and check in with the person in the counter. I did recall once or twice only having to check in at the kiosk and print the boarding pass and then dropping off my checked luggage at those machines where lot of people drop it off. But is there a reason sometimes I don't need to check in at the counter with an actual person compared to the times I don't? I'm trying to remember and I think it has to do with the terminals? Or if someone just rather have a check in person do everything for them if they are confused with the kiosk? But you always have to use the kiosk first to print something before you go on the physical line and wait right?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow thank you very much for explaining all this very clearly for me. I am very surprised that even american and delta allows this as well as long as it isn't basic economy with them.

So you are also saying if you book a jetblue blue flight say right now and the departure is 2 days from now even. You can cancel it anytime now until that day you board and that still gives you the travelbank? So no caring about more than 7 days or booking less than 7 days, you will get travelbank regardless as long as booking with jetblue blue?
Yes, as already stated upthread. The only difference 7 days makes is for the 24-hour cash refund. Otherwise it does not matter.

What do you mean you had a WN ticket booked as well? You are saying you could have 2 airline tickets with 2 different airlines booked for the same day and similar time and then cancel one of them on that day when you get to the airport? But if you do that, you obviously have to cancel at least one of them? Why would anyone do this? In case the earlier one gets cancelled, then you go on the other one? But you will get travelbank and you make sure you use that travelbank later on?
Yes. I had my reasons that day. I often don't know where I'm going until I'm at the airport so it isn't uncommon for me to have multiple tickets booked. The most I ever had was four (BTV, LAX, SAV, SJU) and I ended up going to LAX; luckily that day it was all on a single airline, which made things very easy for me However this isn't the case for most people and I was just using it as an example, so I won't go any further down this off-topic rabbit hole.

Okay so checking in before you go the airport isn't good idea if you have a checked bag. That is why I never understood why someone would do that. Like what if you don't make it to the airport in time, then checking in already doesn't make any sense at all especially if you can still cancel it.
I never said that. If you are standing by for an upgrade then time of check-in is often considered. But again this is off-topic.

But cancelling the check in and then cancelling the flight for travelbank isn't that big of a hassle right? By hassle I mean the first part of unchecking in. The only reason for you to check in whether the day before or the day of your flight before you get to the airport is if you are sure you will get there on time, but most importantly you have zero checked luggage right?
Continuing from above, if you are standing by for an upgrade, it is better to check in sooner. I don't believe this is the case at JetBlue so, once again, it is not relevant here.

With checked luggage, checking in before you get to airport does nothing at all? It doesn't save you time etc?
With some airlines, you can print baggage tags at home, so it would in theory save you from that extra step. Again, not relevant to JetBlue.

Also the thing is when you check in at the counter, they always give you a boarding ticket. Now if you check in before you get to airport and have no checked luggage, do you print your boarding ticket at home? Or you just print it out at the kiosk at the airport? Then again you checking in at home before you get to the airport is so you don't have to check in at the airport right? But if you check in at the airport, do you need to wait in line to check in with the agent to get that physical boarding pass? Or can you actually print that boarding pass on the kiosk?
This is TravelBuzz territory and not for this forum. All of this is up to you, and none of us can tell you what to do. You must do whatever you prefer.

I stopped there since my above comment addresses the remainder of your post. I sincerely hope this helps.

-J.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Yes, as already stated upthread. The only difference 7 days makes is for the 24-hour cash refund. Otherwise it does not matter.

Yes. I had my reasons that day. I often don't know where I'm going until I'm at the airport so it isn't uncommon for me to have multiple tickets booked. The most I ever had was four (BTV, LAX, SAV, SJU) and I ended up going to LAX; luckily that day it was all on a single airline, which made things very easy for me However this isn't the case for most people and I was just using it as an example, so I won't go any further down this off-topic rabbit hole.

I never said that. If you are standing by for an upgrade then time of check-in is often considered. But again this is off-topic.

Continuing from above, if you are standing by for an upgrade, it is better to check in sooner. I don't believe this is the case at JetBlue so, once again, it is not relevant here.

With some airlines, you can print baggage tags at home, so it would in theory save you from that extra step. Again, not relevant to JetBlue.

This is TravelBuzz territory and not for this forum. All of this is up to you, and none of us can tell you what to do. You must do whatever you prefer.

I stopped there since my above comment addresses the remainder of your post. I sincerely hope this helps.

-J.

Thanks for the answers.

Okay one other thing since you mentioned this and I asked this question in another thread but didn't get a replay. You said you use google flights app. Do you use that on your phone?

So with this app, let say you know where you are traveling from and to and let say it will be within a 2 week time frame and it could be any day. Thus you want to get the lowest price possible if you can. Thus you don't care if what day it is but as long as it's within a 2 week time frame that you choose. I normally check orbtiz for each day during that 2 week time frame and have to manually check each day when checking the prices. I do this a few times a day to see if there is any price changes. So if there is a good low price, I would want to lock up the price as you put it if booking with jetblue blue or the main cabin with the other carriers. So many days, the price would stay the same or go up or lower. The only way is I manually check the prices and this takes time because I have to click on each day, then the next and do it for the next 2 weeks. Would google flights be able to give me notification on my phone anytime there is a price change on those flights I choose and it's the same 2 destinations to and from and picking a 2 week time frame? Like I get a notification each time of any price change regardless Like okay for this date in your 2 week filter, the cost has went from say $300 to $250. Or it could be from $300 to $305. Can this app do that?

I am getting tired of using orbitz for checking prices but it's a lot faster than checking manually on jetblue, delta and american since orbitz gives you a completely summary. I would of course book the flight directly on jetblue or delta or american like most people though. So is google flights the app I want here? Also could you filter it to where it's only nonstop flights? Or you have to manually pick the flights you want notifications for?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the answers.

Okay one other thing since you mentioned this and I asked this question in another thread but didn't get a replay. You said you use google flights app. Do you use that on your phone?

So with this app, let say you know where you are traveling from and to and let say it will be within a 2 week time frame and it could be any day. Thus you want to get the lowest price possible if you can. Thus you don't care if what day it is but as long as it's within a 2 week time frame that you choose. I normally check orbtiz for each day during that 2 week time frame and have to manually check each day when checking the prices. I do this a few times a day to see if there is any price changes. So if there is a good low price, I would want to lock up the price as you put it if booking with jetblue blue or the main cabin with the other carriers. So many days, the price would stay the same or go up or lower. The only way is I manually check the prices and this takes time because I have to click on each day, then the next and do it for the next 2 weeks. Would google flights be able to give me notification on my phone anytime there is a price change on those flights I choose and it's the same 2 destinations to and from and picking a 2 week time frame? Like I get a notification each time of any price change regardless Like okay for this date in your 2 week filter, the cost has went from say $300 to $250. Or it could be from $300 to $305. Can this app do that?

I am getting tired of using orbitz for checking prices but it's a lot faster than checking manually on jetblue, delta and american since orbitz gives you a completely summary. I would of course book the flight directly on jetblue or delta or american like most people though. So is google flights the app I want here? Also could you filter it to where it's only nonstop flights? Or you have to manually pick the flights you want notifications for?
I use the website. It is pretty similar in Chrome whether on a computer or a phone. You can save a search so it alerts you when the price changes and you can access it with a single click. If you don't want to do even that, you can just bookmark it and it will work. It will alert for any price change I think over 5%. It alerted me when a $620 ticket dropped down to $580 a few months ago, and I canceled and rebooked using the credit from the canceled ticket. This was not on JetBlue.

This would be a great question for the TravelBuzz Travel Tools forum.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Dec 8, 2023 at 3:12 pm
Old Dec 8, 2023, 5:53 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
A reminder that this is the JetBlue forum, and this thread is specifically discussion flight change/cancellation policy. Please direct questions/discussion about booking engines or other travel sites to the Travel Tools forum. Thank you! /Moderator
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Okay two last questions to add to this.

You say Travel Bank will be good for one year from date of purchase. So you purchased a jetblue blue ticket on December 8 like I mentioned in my original post. The flight is departing on December 22. Say you cancel it on December 21. Now you have that travel bank in your account. So you have to use all your travel bank by December 8 of next year right? So let's say you use a good portion of the travel bank on say December 22 for an upcoming trip on December 27 . Let's say you still have a travel bank balance still of a smaller balance. Let's say you don't plan to book a flight until later in the year and plan to do this around November or December of the next year and December 8 is when your travel bank expires. Now when you book the trip in November or December of next year or even earlier... does the date of departure have to be on December 8 or earlier? I assume not right? It's that you must book the remaining of your travel bank on December 8? So if you book a flight next year on December 7 or 8 even if the upcoming trip is June of the following year, that is fine?

If your original jetblue blue ticket price is $250 + $30 checked bag fee because you choose to pay this online when booking and balance is $280, is your jetblue blue balance $250 or $280? I know you said you weren't sure about this and most people wouldn't be concerned about it if you they always fly with a checked bag. But I know some people sometimes add a check on bag and other times they don't. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:27 am

I posted the answer to the second question in the 2nd post in this thread:

https://www.jetblue.com/help/changes...ns-and-standby
  • If you cancelled your flight before the scheduled departure time, and are no longer travelling, all extras (seats, bags, priority security, etc.) will be automatically refunded to your original form of payment.
so your fare ($250) goes to travelbank. Bag fee should be refunded to cc if that is how you paid for the bag fee.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay two last questions to add to this.
There are more than two questions here

You say Travel Bank will be good for one year from date of purchase. So you purchased a jetblue blue ticket on December 8 like I mentioned in my original post. The flight is departing on December 22. Say you cancel it on December 21. Now you have that travel bank in your account. So you have to use all your travel bank by December 8 of next year right?
(Bolding for emphasis)

Yes, repeating myself from upthread and repeating what you said, it is good for one year from date of purchase, a.k.a. December 8th:
...does the date of departure have to be on December 8 or earlier? I assume not right? It's that you must book the remaining of your travel bank on December 8? So if you book a flight next year on December 7 or 8 even if the upcoming trip is June of the following year, that is fine?
Correct. This is widely, widely discussed on the forum with multiple threads. You need to spend the funds by December 8th, but it could be for future travel beyond that. If you cancel after December 8th, then you will forfeit the expired portion of the funds. Please search the forum for more information on this before posting another question.

-J.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

There are more than two questions here

(Bolding for emphasis)

Yes, repeating myself from upthread and repeating what you said, it is good for one year from date of purchase, a.k.a. December 8th:

Correct. This is widely, widely discussed on the forum with multiple threads. You need to spend the funds by December 8th, but it could be for future travel beyond that. If you cancel after December 8th, then you will forfeit the expired portion of the funds. Please search the forum for more information on this before posting another question.

-J.

Thanks for answering these questions. So just to confirm this situation.

You booked a flight on December 8 for December 22 departure. Say it cost $250 and you added a bag of $30 so $280 total. Now on December 21, you cancel the flight. Does the $280 automatically show up in your jetblue travel bank or not? Note... I previously had a travel bank balance before this a while back and used it up so my travel bank has been zero for quite a while. So now say after you cancel the flight on December 21 for your December 22 flight, let's say you want to book a flight on January 3 with that travel bank and say it's for $200 and add a bag of $30 for $230 total. So now you would have about $50 in travel bank correct?

And say now it's January 2. Could you cancel your January 3 flight and now get back the travel bank so you essentially still have $250 or $280 travel bank depending on if the 1 checked bag is added or not? So you could literally cancel and book again with your travel bank multiple times and there are no penalties to it at all? So you could essentially use your jetblue time bank and book another flight and cancel and repeat that if you choose to where it doesn't affect you at all assuming the flight you book doesn't cost more than your jetblue travel bank balance? I just want to know if you could cancel and rebook and rebook again with your travel bank but it seems with this policy, there isn't a limit if it's a jetblue blue ticket? It's just you have to use it 1 year from that day?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You booked a flight on December 8 for December 22 departure. Say it cost $250 and you added a bag of $30 so $280 total. Now on December 21, you cancel the flight. Does the $280 automatically show up in your jetblue travel bank or not? Note... I previously had a travel bank balance before this a while back and used it up so my travel bank has been zero for quite a while. So now say after you cancel the flight on December 21 for your December 22 flight, let's say you want to book a flight on January 3 with that travel bank and say it's for $200 and add a bag of $30 for $230 total. So now you would have about $50 in travel bank correct?
Yes. You have a year from the date of purchase.

And say now it's January 2. Could you cancel your January 3 flight and now get back the travel bank so you essentially still have $250 or $280 travel bank depending on if the 1 checked bag is added or not? So you could literally cancel and book again with your travel bank multiple times and there are no penalties to it at all? So you could essentially use your jetblue time bank and book another flight and cancel and repeat that if you choose to where it doesn't affect you at all assuming the flight you book doesn't cost more than your jetblue travel bank balance? I just want to know if you could cancel and rebook and rebook again with your travel bank but it seems with this policy, there isn't a limit if it's a jetblue blue ticket? It's just you have to use it 1 year from that day?
Yes... I have canceled and rebooked using TB dozens of times. As long as it is used and has a $0 balance by the expiry date which is one year from the original purchase, you can use as you see fit. Once you go past the expiration date, if you cancel again then the TB will be unusable.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.