Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue Cancellation Policy Due to Positive Covid Test?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi. I'm an American. I flew to Mexico not long ago and going to fly back to the US soon. The thing was when I first got to Mexico, I didn't feel good. After a week or so, I went and got a covid test and was tested positive. As of right now, I am still coughing. I also will be planning to leave soon as well as my trip here wasn't going to be that long.

My question is... if I get tested positive for covid the day before I fly, how soon can I take another covid test? I heard if you get tested positive, you need to quarantine for 5 days? I do have a place that I could stay at so I won't need to book a hotel in case this happens. I had heard someone mentioned they went and got another covid test at few other locations on the same day or next day and one of the test showed as negative. So its possible its a false positive? So is it possible if you get a positive covid test... then you go to another location the same day and if that test show as negative... then you are good to leave tomorrow? I am asking this because I have to leave by a certain date because I only got a certain amount of days here such that I would not want to overstay. But are there lot of cases where people overstay due to this? Every since the US changed the covid test from three days to one day, it seems like a huge issue when traveling.

The other issue I have is this. I normally book a flight with delta or jetblue or american a week or more before my flight and always book the economy ticket because it is the cheapest. I will most likely book either delta or jetblue. I know jetblue I can't now because I have a carry on so you have to pay more no matter what. So if I book Jetblue Blue... I could cancel my flight and get ecredit or rebook right? I cannot book Jetblue Basic since I do have a carry on. Do I need to buy insurance? The thing is I never paid for insurance whenever booking a flight. But would this be recommended? I could imagine how much people have a flight to go back to the US soon and the day before you take the covid test, you get tested positive. Now if you bought an economy ticket, then you lose the full value of it now right? I know back then airlines were much more lenient. Also when I book tickets, I always book a one way each time and never roundtrip.

Does anyone have advice on this for me? Normally I wouldn't really think about these issues but because I got tested positive for covid about a week ago after I arrived, this has me concerned when I leave. Thus concern is when I get tested the day before I leave.

Now if I get tested positive for covid the day before I leave, could I take a test say two or three days later and if negative, then I could leave the next day? I also heard about the you could get a note from a doctor to excuse you from it. Can someone explain to me how that works? So if you get tested positive the day before you leave, how soon can you see a doctor where they declare you okay to fly? But you still need to wait at least 5 days to see that doctor? Could you actually see a doctor that day you tested positive for covid? I still have the copy of the positive covid test from earlier this month when I went and got the test. I assume the doctor note thing relates to if someone keeps getting tested positive every 5 days or so for multiple times and then the doctor if they see if you have no issues, give you a note that you are okay to fly? Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, TrueBlue
if I get tested positive for covid the day before I fly, how soon can I take another covid test?
First and foremost, if you tested positive for COVID and are experiencing symptoms, you should absolutely not travel. The CDC guidance states: "Stay home for 5 days. If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house."

If you are still experiencing symptoms on Day 5, your quarantine is NOT over and you should not travel until symptoms subside.

I also heard about the you could get a note from a doctor to excuse you from it. Can someone explain to me how that works?
If you did have COVID, it's likely tests for a while will show up as positive - which is why you need to hold on to the Positive Test. You need to see a doctor in Mexico to get "a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel." If you can't find a doctor, you will need a negative test. But tests are unlikely to "turn" negative in the month after you have COVID.

Do I need to buy insurance?
Some Travel insurances cover a positive COVID test - I recommend you read their Terms and Conditions VERY carefully. I imagine if they do cover inability to travel due to a positive COVID test, your test will have to be dated after the flight was booked.

So if I book Jetblue Blue... I could cancel my flight and get ecredit or rebook right?
As for JetBlue fares, you will not be allowed to take a carry-on with a Blue Basic fare. You will need to book a Blue Fare (or you can book a Blue Basic Fare with a checked bag or a Blue Basic with Even More Space seat). Blue fares also allow for free cancellation. Any cancellations will refund the fare into JetBlue TravelBank (which will have to be spent on JetBlue Travel in the future). Because JetBlue Blue fares allow free cancellation, there's no real reason to buy insurance IMO.

According to the guidance, technically, yes, you can travel if you get a negative test. In your situation, it does sound irresponsible to travel given your positive test and experience of symptoms.

Last edited by marathonerNYC; Jan 21, 2022 at 1:59 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi. Well I got tested positive earlier this month. I did not go and see a doctor. I am basically staying inside in the meantime. So you are saying if I go and see a doctor right now here in Mexico, they could write me a letter to say I recovered if I am indeed recovered? Or does that always require two visits? The thing is I will be leaving soon... didn't book the ticket yet. My concern is of course getting tested positive the day before I leave. So is it possible to visit a doctor soon and they could clear me so to speak? But the test results of my positive covid test would been earlier this month though. So would there be any issue on this?

Now if they were to clear me if I visit them the next few days, you saying I don't need to take a covid test the day before I leave then?

If I purchase a jetbliue blue fare... is that good enough to cancel and rebook my flight then? So there is no point of buying travel insurance then right? What is the price difference between booking a Blue Basic fare with a checked bag vs Blue Basic? The thing is I have a carry on and a checked bag. So wouldn't I hace to purchase a blue fare regardless? Well the thing is I am returning back to the US. I am not like going back to Mexico now with my symptoms. But I get what you mean here.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jerry90210
Hi. Well I got tested positive earlier this month. I did not go and see a doctor. I am basically staying inside in the meantime. So you are saying if I go and see a doctor right now here in Mexico, they could write me a letter to say I recovered if I am indeed recovered? Or does that always require two visits? The thing is I will be leaving soon... didn't book the ticket yet. My concern is of course getting tested positive the day before I leave. So is it possible to visit a doctor soon and they could clear me so to speak? But the test results of my positive covid test would been earlier this month though. So would there be any issue on this?

Now if they were to clear me if I visit them the next few days, you saying I don't need to take a covid test the day before I leave then?

If I purchase a jetbliue blue fare... is that good enough to cancel and rebook my flight then? So there is no point of buying travel insurance then right? What is the price difference between booking a Blue Basic fare with a checked bag vs Blue Basic? The thing is I have a carry on and a checked bag. So wouldn't I hace to purchase a blue fare regardless? Well the thing is I am returning back to the US. I am not like going back to Mexico now with my symptoms. But I get what you mean here.
As a general principle, you can't buy insurance to cover an event that has already occurred. You can't buy travel insurance to cover COVID-19 after you have tested positive.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, TrueBlue
Exactly. A Positive COVID test + Doctor's note clearing you to fly is valid for 90 days after the original positive test. Glad to hear your positive test was from a while ago.

If I purchase a jetbliue blue fare... is that good enough to cancel and rebook my flight then?
Exactly. No point in buying Travel Insurance.

I am returning back to the US. I am not like going back to Mexico now
Yep, the testing requirement to come back can be waived by the doctors note + positive test
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Well my positive covid test was from over a week ago so it isn't that far off. But by the time I plan to leave, it would be few weeks old.

So you are saying go and see a doctor soon but first ask if they are able to write you a note right? Do you know what type of doctor could write you this type of note? Would you recommend this as oppose to just taking the covid test the day before my flight?

Now let say I get tested positive the day before my flight. What should I do if that is the case? Go to a few other clinics and test until I get a negative one? Someone in another thread mentioned that in Mexico, its possible to get tested negative if you go to several clinics. Could I actually go to a doctor that same day and have him check me and write me a note on the same day? Thus even though I am positive for covid, he could write me a note so I could fly the next day? This is of course if he see I have no symptoms. I could imagine having the doctors note and positive test from few weeks ago... would be no issue. But having the doctors note and positive test on the same day before my flight, that would still work or not? Do you know if that doctor would need to perform a covid test and many test before they can write you the note? Because I'm wondering how expensive that could be if I choose this route.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:30 am

Highly-sensitive PCR tests can continue to detect the virus for up to 90 days, meaning you may test positive well beyond the period of time you need to isolate. This is why individuals who test positive can be granted a 90-day exemption from testing with medical documentation. The Doctor needs to know the date of your first positive test and see that you don't have symptoms or symptoms that are minor ie. cough but not a productive cough. Mexico may or may not have different requirements for a medical professional to give you documentation.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Okay want to confirm a few things. I got my positive test around two weeks ago or so. I have been better since then. So if I go and get a proof of recovery letter right now... do I need to fly back to the US within three days or so? Or is this note good for like the next two months? I will be flying back soon to the US though.

Also, it did not matter I took an antigen test that was positive right? I heard PCR test can still detect positive for up to 90 days... but antigen there is lesser chance right? But because I had a positive antigen test from two weeks ago... then there is no issue here?

Someone had mentioned if you get a proof of recovery note from a doctor... you could essentially use that to fly back to the US multiple times if you choose assuming you do a lot of travel? I obviously am not doing that. But that person seem to suggest if you get that recovery letter, if you travel from Mexico to another country that requires the antigen test, you could literally use that same letter multiples times assuming you are traveling to other countries for the next two months? Again I am not doing that but the way that person phrased it sound like this proof of recovery with the positive covid test could be used multiple times?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by jerry90210
Okay want to confirm a few things. I got my positive test around two weeks ago or so. I have been better since then. So if I go and get a proof of recovery letter right now... do I need to fly back to the US within three days or so? Or is this note good for like the next two months? I will be flying back soon to the US though.

In your first post you said you are still coughing, so I would not assume you are better enough to fly.
GW McLintock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.