Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

If JetBlue changes the time of a flight, or cancels it, can we get a refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AS of APR 3:
Both US Department of Transportation and European Commission affirms that a refund must be provided for airline-cancelled flights upon passenger request.
ENFORCEMENT NOTICE REGARDING REFUNDS BY CARRIERS GIVEN THE UNPRECEDENTED IMPACT OF THE COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY ON AIR TRAVEL

US DOT position from 2011 concerning cancelled flights and refunds (page 23129)
We reject some carriers’ and carrier associations’ assertions that carriers are not required to refund a passenger’s fare when a flight is cancelled if the carrier can accommodate the passenger with other transportation options after the cancellation. We find it to be manifestly unfair for a carrier to fail to provide the transportation contracted for and then to refuse to provide a refund if the passenger finds the offered rerouting unacceptable (e.g., greatly delayed or otherwise inconvenient) and he or she no longer wishes to travel. Since at least the time of an Industry Letter of July 15, 1996 the Department’s Aviation Enforcement Office has advised carriers that refusing to refund a non-refundable fare when a flight is canceled and the passenger wishes to cancel is a violation of 49 U.S.C. 41712 (unfair or deceptive practices) and would subject a carrier to enforcement action.

If you believe B6 is not refunding "in good faith" and/or outright violating their policy (old schedule change policy prior to COVID-19 was refund allow for changes >2 hours)/rules above, your options are (in no particular order or combination):
  • Make an attempt to reach out to B6 again and escalate to supervisor and/or put in a refund request on B6 page.
  • File complaint with US DoT.
  • File a chargeback with your credit card issuer under "Services not provided" after an attempt (note date/time etc) of resolving with B6 has been made. Under VISA rules (Table 11-95), a chargeback has to be initiated within 120 days from the date the service is expected to be delivered. Mastercard should provide similar timeframes. Need confirmation on AMEX/Discover.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

I have a flight booked for mid-April that I no longer can or want to take because of the coronavirus pandemic. JetBlue emailed us saying that our flight had been moved from 9am to 5am. Would that allow us to demand a refund? Even in non-pandemic circumstances, a four-hour time change could be unworkable for people. Even though JetBlue is letting everyone cancel upcoming flights, it still expects them to be use the credit by October, and I do not have high hopes this pandemic will be under control and I will be taking this trip in October.

So 1) can I ask for an actual refund back on my credit card? 2) If so, how should I do that? I don't want to screw the process up and then be denied - I never fly JetBlue so I am not familiar with how they do things.

edit: Other people are using this thread now but my situation was resolved by contacting JetBlue on Twitter and telling them I specifically would like a refund and only a refund.
RWPrincess likes this.

Last edited by oreocookies; Apr 7, 2020 at 11:55 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:44 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You can ask for a refund but they may resist giving it to you. You would need to call them to do that. As per reports on this forum, results have been mixed on success with this approach. Their default position right now is to typically to offer a travel bank credit that would be good for one year but there are a number of people reporting that they've has success getting a refund to their credit card.

One approach you might consider is to just hold off. There's a decent chance that JetBlue may just cancel your flight outright, and then it might be easier to make the case for a refund. Just don't accept the schedule change and wait it out. There's not a lot of downside to doing so.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I had a flight moved up by 2 hours and CS rep said it wasn't within the T&C to give a refund but would give a credit. I did a Twitter contact emphasizing the move up vs a delay and the agent agreed and issued the full refund.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I had a flight moved up by 2 hours and CS rep said it wasn't within the T&C to give a refund but would give a credit. I did a Twitter contact emphasizing the move up vs a delay and the agent agreed and issued the full refund.
I'm verified on Twitter, so that's a good data point - maybe if I run into trouble raising a stink publicly will yield better results, thanks! Did you cancel your flight first, or call to cancel?

Last edited by oreocookies; Mar 27, 2020 at 12:30 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I called first and left the reservation as is waiting for another change or a cancellation. A day or two later I did a direct message to B6 via Twitter and they responded within a day and it was taken care of.

Originally Posted by oreocookies
Thank you both.

I'm verified on Twitter, so that's a good data point - maybe if I run into trouble raising a stink publicly will yield better results, thanks! Did you cancel your flight first, or call to cancel?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:17 pm

I have a flight from JFK to LGB for May 7 which was scheduled for 5:52 PM. They canceled the flight and only offer a 6:39AM flight know. When I requested a refund via text, this was the response:

"...But we aren't able to offer refund to the credit card since we are able to offer you a different flight on the same day." But we aren't able to offer refund to the credit card since we are able to offer you a different flight on the same day.But we aren't able to offer refund to the credit card since we are able to offer you a different flight on the same day.But we aren't able to offer refund to the credit card since we are able to offer you a different flight on the same day.But we aren't able to offer refund to the credit card since we are able to offer you a different flight on the same day.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles, Emirates
JetBlue invoked the force major clause for the flight they rescheduled me on and refused to give me a full refund for the flight they cancelled.

given the flight was cancelled by them and not myself I believe I should be receiving a full refund. Furthermore there is no government restriction preventing them from flying them from flying the flight I had booked....so the force majeur clause should not apply
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bado90
JetBlue invoked the force major clause for the flight they rescheduled me on and refused to give me a full refund for the flight they cancelled.

given the flight was cancelled by them and not myself I believe I should be receiving a full refund. Furthermore there is no government restriction preventing them from flying them from flying the flight I had booked....so the force majeur clause should not apply
Ask to speak to supervisor. Or file a claim with your CC company
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:38 am

@yydv With airlines fighting for their survival and not having cash right now, I doubt the supervisor would be much help.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Seems fishy that JetBlue would try to deny a refund. According to the Department of Transportation:

Am I Entitled to a Refund?

When the airline is at fault:

Passengers are often entitled to a refund of the ticket price and associated fees when the airline is at fault.
  • Cancelled Flight – A passenger is entitled to a refund if the airline cancelled a flight, regardless of the reason, and the passenger chooses not to be rebooked on a new flight on that airline.
  • Schedule Change/Significant Delay - A passenger is entitled to a refund if the airline made a significant schedule change and/or significantly delays a flight and the passenger chooses not to travel.
    • In some situations, you may be entitled to a refund, including a refund for all optional fees associated with the purchase of your ticket (such as baggage fees, seat upgrades, etc.).
    • DOT has not specifically defined “significant delay.” Whether you are entitled to a refund depends on many factors – including the length of the delay, the length of the flight, and your particular circumstances. DOT determines whether you are entitled to a refund following a significant delay on a case-by-case basis.
If JetBlue won't offer a refund, I will do a chargeback on my credit card if I have to. They are getting a massive bailout from congress.
yydv likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by bgasser
@yydv With airlines fighting for their survival and not having cash right now, I doubt the supervisor would be much help.
Just because airlines are fighting for survival, doesn’t mean that gives them an automatic pass to use dirty tactics and deny a full refund when customers are eligible for one.

I get that it’s an unprecedented situation, but the way some airlines have been treating customers regarding refunds has been very shady.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:29 pm

Cancelled flight - money back to credit card, not travel bank

Hi all

I'm a UK resident so not too familiar with USA consumer rights; but Jet Blue just cancelled my flight and they are only offering money back to their travel bank. I would like a refund to my credit card. Would this be possible?

Many thanks
Jono
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
By "offering" do you mean that B6 has denied your request for a refund? If so, proceed directly to initiate a chargeback for the ticket price. If you have not requested and been denied a refund, do so immediately. You might try calling in the first instance, but unless you have a commitment for a refund, follow up in writing.

As with most carriers, B6 will go to great lengths to convince you to accept travel credit. Just be clear what you want and base it on the fact that it is B6 which cancelled.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The law (unfair/deceptive practice) requires a refund for cancelled flights.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32250615-post1019.html

The airline strategy is let’s violate the law now so that we survive a liquidity crunch and can negotiate a settlement with DoT later.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:57 am

I posted in another thread, but I used the Chat Us feature in the app for a cancelled flight - they offered travel bank, I said per their CoC I should be eligible for refund, they said thanks for letting them know I wanted a refund and they would process it - depending on my CC may take 7-10 days. Now I haven't seen the money back yet as this was just last week and the purchase was actually Chase UR travel portal and not cash, but I do anticipate my points showing back up at some point in my Ultimate Rewards balance. This was Thursday, so maybe they have gotten stricter/harder, but I only had to mention their own rules and they didn't argue or push any further. The whole chat took about 20 minutes, but most of that was just waiting around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.