Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

How much would JetBlue have to pay YOU to check your carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

Inspired by the $5 Checked Bags from Orlando thread, I'll take my bag onboard, thankyouverymuch, instead of paying you to check it and me have to wait for it at my destination or risk it getting lost.

But let's say the airline offered to pay ME to give up my carryon? Of course every situation is different, you might have an event you have to get to at your destination and can't give up your bag, or you are carrying an organ for transplant or priceless jewels, so ignore those cases. But what if your bag just has clothes (or laundry!) and toiletries and you can wait 15-20 minutes for your bag upon landing. Would you check it for a $5 bill? $10? $20? $50? More?

We know what we are, now we are just negotiating a price
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
If they offered $5 cash I would do it. More than likely it would be a voucher... I suppose I would want $20. If they offered two drink chits I would also definitely consider it.

It also depends on the destination, for me at least. I would do it at LGB, SLC, SYR, any smaller airport where baggage claim is fast and on the way outside. JFK, MCO, PHX, SEA, forget about it.

If it would be pink tagged so I could pick it up on the jet bridge, I would be more inclined. But I've seen a jet bridge with 25 people waiting for pink-tagged bags, and it makes deplaning nearly impossible. That could be dangerous if evacuation became necessary (e.g., if an electrical fire broke out). This is why I am very against this, except for strollers and assistive devices.

-J.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Free agent
Priceless, I pay extra to make sure I get overhead space.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Just like how the opposite could be abused to get a cheap checked bag if one brings a smaller one, wouldn't people who would otherwise have a personal item only abuse this by bringing an empty bag?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I guess that is possible, but would many people carry an extra bag on a vacation just to save/earn $20 or so (x2)?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A bit of a silly discussion.

Offering to gate check bags on full flights is just a way of lessening the blow for people boarding late in the process. But, it's all the same to B6. No need to offer anyone anything.

The $5 checked bag creates efficiencies at the gate and makes it worth it at a station known for people carrying on steamer trunks.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I try to avoid paying for checking bags, but if they want to do all the work and then I just pick up my bag at my destination airport while I sashay though the airport with just a backpack, why not? I love free bag check. You don't have to pay me a thing.

I have the luxury of time. I am not in a hurry.

Plus, who wants to drag a bag around when you can stroll through the airport with just a backpack?

Sometimes I just shake my head at all the people struggling to drag all their stuff behind them and then panic about getting on the plane fast so they can fit it in an overhead. It seems like the bag is controlling their behavior, not the other way around.

I'll sashay on the plane at my leisure bagless and care free.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I try to avoid paying for checking bags, but if they want to do all the work and then I just pick up my bag at my destination airport while I sashay though the airport with just a backpack, why not? I love free bag check. You don't have to pay me a thing.

I have the luxury of time. I am not in a hurry.

Plus, who wants to drag a bag around when you can stroll through the airport with just a backpack?

Sometimes I just shake my head at all the people struggling to drag all their stuff behind them and then panic about getting on the plane fast so they can fit it in an overhead. It seems like the bag is controlling their behavior, not the other way around.

I'll sashay on the plane at my leisure bagless and care free.
Agreed. I don't always get to do it, but nothing better than walking around an airport with only an iPad case in my hand.
bitterproffit and RWPrincess like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I oscillate between MSYtoJFKagain and bitterproffit , depending on the flight.

If I am arriving late at BOS (which I often am), you couldn't pay me to check my bag. BOS baggage claim is usually racing against tectonic plates and losing, and spending the extra half hour at 10pm or 11pm is miserable.

If I'm on a more leisurely itinerary or arriving at an efficient airport, I'm often happy to check my rollaboard; saves me schlepping it, and I can put my backpack overhead and pull out a small tote bag for underseat, leaving me more legroom.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:15 pm

If I have to go through the check-in queue and wait at the baggage claim, then I'd want to be compensated for the time for each, plus something for the inconvenience of not having the bag with me. So about $60 or 6000 points. If it's gate-checked and collected on the jet bridge, maybe half that.

Seth
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:47 am

IF I also have a checked bag, I am delighted to check my carry-on. IF I don't have a checked bag, I would check my carry-on (and wait at the carousel) for $20 but no less.

We do pay for EMS specifically so our carry-ons go in the overhead space above our seats. Folks in row 22 who drop their bags at row 6 are the bane of air travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.