Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Buying Even More Space seats at gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;

When is the latest one can possibly upgrade to even more space seats for a fee? Is the cost cheaper buying online, at check-in, or at gate?

I'm trying to guarantee an open middle seat, but wouldn't pay for extra legroom if it'll end up being occupied.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Employee here - I don’t know about the fees but it’s going to be hard to guarantee an empty middle seat if there are non-revs on the flight.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Free agent
Cost is the same regardless of purchase time. The latest I've seen is on the flight. Someone paid to move to an EMS seat during a flight about a week before Thanksgiving last year (JFK-MSY) right after takeoff. Row only had a window seat taken.

My answer is that you will never be able to guarantee an open middle and you're just playing roulette.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You can purchase EMS onboard. The FAs can charge your CC on their iPad like any onboard purchase.

-J.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You can purchase EMS onboard. The FAs can charge your CC on their iPad like any onboard purchase.

-J.
So in that case if you use the JetBlue Plus credit card, will you pay 50% less than had you purchased EMS before boarding?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by carraher
So in that case if you use the JetBlue Plus credit card, will you pay 50% less than had you purchased EMS before boarding?
The 50% discount is only for eligible onboard food and beverage purchases.

When they first switched to the MC with this benefit, people got EMS with the discount; they caught on pretty quickly.

-J.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
If you want to guarantee an open middle seat, I would wait until boarding is complete and then ask the FA to upgrade to a row with empty seats. However, even that won't be a guarantee because if someone has tv or neighbor issues, there is likelihood someone will be moved mid-flight.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
If you want to guarantee an open middle seat, I would wait until boarding is complete and then ask the FA to upgrade to a row with empty seats. However, even that won't be a guarantee because if someone has tv or neighbor issues, there is likelihood someone will be moved mid-flight.

I think this is a good plan - upgrade if there is an empty row. I got EWR-SXM, and SXM-EWR flight in summer. They want $70+ for extra 3 inches. I think I will pass on it, unless I can get empty row vs one with 3 people full in a row.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:10 am

Tried to look for a discounted EMS seat but flight attendants said there's no more in flight upgrades to EMS. Bummer
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:52 pm

I fly JFK LAX often. Haven't seen a plane that had open middle seats in awhile.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bgasser
I fly JFK LAX often. Haven't seen a plane that had open middle seats in awhile.
I flew JetBlue 4x in September and all flights had open middle seats -- in fact, only one did I have anyone else in my row.

In October I flew Delta 2x and both flights were completely full.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.