Buying Even More Space seats at gate

Old Sep 17, 19, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
Buying Even More Space seats at gate

When is the latest one can possibly upgrade to even more space seats for a fee? Is the cost cheaper buying online, at check-in, or at gate?

I'm trying to guarantee an open middle seat, but wouldn't pay for extra legroom if it'll end up being occupied.
Old Sep 18, 19, 6:56 am

Employee here - I don’t know about the fees but it’s going to be hard to guarantee an empty middle seat if there are non-revs on the flight.
Old Sep 18, 19, 7:06 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Cost is the same regardless of purchase time. The latest I've seen is on the flight. Someone paid to move to an EMS seat during a flight about a week before Thanksgiving last year (JFK-MSY) right after takeoff. Row only had a window seat taken.

My answer is that you will never be able to guarantee an open middle and you're just playing roulette.
Old Sep 18, 19, 8:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
You can purchase EMS onboard. The FAs can charge your CC on their iPad like any onboard purchase.

-J.
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
You can purchase EMS onboard. The FAs can charge your CC on their iPad like any onboard purchase.

-J.
So in that case if you use the JetBlue Plus credit card, will you pay 50% less than had you purchased EMS before boarding?
Old Sep 20, 19, 11:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by carraher View Post
So in that case if you use the JetBlue Plus credit card, will you pay 50% less than had you purchased EMS before boarding?
The 50% discount is only for eligible onboard food and beverage purchases.

When they first switched to the MC with this benefit, people got EMS with the discount; they caught on pretty quickly.

-J.
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
If you want to guarantee an open middle seat, I would wait until boarding is complete and then ask the FA to upgrade to a row with empty seats. However, even that won't be a guarantee because if someone has tv or neighbor issues, there is likelihood someone will be moved mid-flight.

Search this Thread