A321 Mint seat?

Old Apr 4, 19, 2:40 am
Original Poster

A321 Mint seat?

How does the Mint seat compare to the J seats on the legacy carriers? From Private Mint suite: so so experience it does not seem to be as good a seat. I'd be flying with a companion and book the two together rather than the suites.

My main point of comparison is TATL lie flat J. I haven't flown a domestic TCON in quite a while.

EDIT: I'm specifically concerned with the seat, not other aspects of mint, and am concerned about the suggestion in the linked post that the seat will only go into a few positions rather than being adjustable throughout its range.

Last edited by richarddd; Apr 4, 19 at 7:00 am
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:31 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I found the experience to be quite good overall. It’s my #1 for transcon J. The seat itself has a few quirks/shortcomings. The air cushion can go flat. Wasn’t a big deal to me. I found it overall comfortable to watch a few movies and enjoy the food & drink but I wasn’t sleeping either.
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
I found the experience to be quite good overall. Itís my #1 for transcon J. The seat itself has a few quirks/shortcomings. The air cushion can go flat. Wasnít a big deal to me. I found it overall comfortable to watch a few movies and enjoy the food & drink but I wasnít sleeping either.
The air cushion does not sound like a big deal.

The thread I linked in the OP suggests the seat will only go into a few positions rather than being adjustable throughout its range. Is this [still] true?
Old Apr 4, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I honestly can’t remember the full extent of the seat movement but I remember there being presets for full upright and bed but I also remember there was controls for manipulating the seat in between them.
Old Apr 4, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Seat is very mobile and imo very comfortable. For a pair, 3rd row is best, 5th is second best, 1st is the worst.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 11:46 am

Programs: TrueBlue Mosaic, HHonors, Marriott
I have flown mint a dozen or so times, i've never had an issue with getting the seat into the perfect combo of recline/foot rest up/etc. It is very capable of being in a wide range of positions.
Old Apr 5, 19, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
Seat is very mobile and imo very comfortable. For a pair, 3rd row is best, 5th is second best, 1st is the worst.
I disagree I think 1st is best (most legroom and privacy by the window) and 5th is the worst (right in front of toilet / snack bar.)

But, the Mint seat is pretty great. It's mid-pack in terms of adjustability but for any US carrier it's among the best J products out there. The only things I think that are marginally better are the AA reverse herringbone seats and possibly the brand new unicorn United Polaris seats.
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by bkojote View Post
I disagree I think 1st is best (most legroom and privacy by the window) and 5th is the worst (right in front of toilet / snack bar.)

But, the Mint seat is pretty great. It's mid-pack in terms of adjustability but for any US carrier it's among the best J products out there. The only things I think that are marginally better are the AA reverse herringbone seats and possibly the brand new unicorn United Polaris seats.
Yeah but OP is looking for a pair and I think the two worst seats are the aisles in 1.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, CET 7*, MLIFE Platinum
Originally Posted by bkojote View Post

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
Yeah but OP is looking for a pair and I think the two worst seats are the aisles in 1.
I agree with bkojote, that 5th is probably the worst. There is always a lot of people using the toilet there and due to the extra space there, there's always people standing around or going back and forth to the snack bar. If 1, you have only the FA and the people in Mint going to use the toilet there. I'd choose 1 before 5.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
I love the solo seats for space and privacy. But I HATE the inflatable balloon design. It is very uncomfortable for me. I much prefer a traditional padded seat. In both the seated and bed config, I find the balloon design like being on an air mattress. Not good. Also, the mechanical design does not allow you to adjust the recline by itself. You have only one button and it moves the seat forward quite a bit before you get any recline. In my view, it is too aggressive at moving the seat forward (losing leg room) before it allows any recline.

I much prefer the United J seat from a purely comfort standpoint. However, from an overall product standpoint (privacy, food, service, friendliness), I take Mint over UA any day.
east_west likes this.

Last edited by blueman2; Apr 13, 19 at 10:01 pm
Old Apr 6, 19, 2:17 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
Also remember that meal service to row 5 is quite a bit later than rows 1 or 3, about 2 hours into the flight based on recent experiences. For 9pm+ departures, that's a pretty late dinner.
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mosaic
Originally Posted by BbTrumpet View Post
Also remember that meal service to row 5 is quite a bit later than rows 1 or 3, about 2 hours into the flight based on recent experiences. For 9pm+ departures, that's a pretty late dinner.
In my flights, I've never found there to be much of a difference in meal service times between the different rows- unless someone has asked for something early/late (which they accommodate more readily in mint), they're usually within minutes of reach other, not hours apart.
caliform and leonger like this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 8:06 pm

The services are definitely not hours apart between rows, I was just noting that it was two hours into the flight for row 5 meal service. Row 1 was probably 30-40 minutes before that. Noticeable difference (for me, anyway) with a 9:30pm departure. Mid-day I probably wouldn't care as much.
caliform likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 4:42 pm

When only one flight attendant is working the Mint cabin during meal service, it takes a little bit of time to prep each tray of food and then deliver it to each seat. When the second attendant is there to assist though, it speeds up the process a good amount!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 8:50 pm

Agreed, did the same transcon as before last Thursday. Was in row 2 and dinner served right around an hour into the flight. Much quicker than some other recent services.

Search this Thread