Ground Delay compensation

Old May 11, 18, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
Ground Delay compensation

B6 flight 1042 on May 10 from SAV to JFK was ground delayed a total of just over 5 hours. Boarded 6:16pm and we took off at 11:30pm. We were treated very well and everyone on board took the lengthy delay in remarkably good spirits which was pretty cool. The delay was caused by ATC ground stop at JFK. I see in the customer bill of rights that delays compensation is only for controllable events. This obviously was not controllable. HOWEVER, the Bill of Rights also has a section for ground delays which does not appear to have this escape clause. Here is the wording:

Customers who experience an Onboard Ground Delay, except those necessitated by a security event, are entitled to compensation good for future travel on JetBlue:

Delay time: Compensation amount
3-4:59 hours: $100 Credit
5-5:59 hours: $175 Credit
6 +: $250 Credit
Since this was not a security issue, would I be due compensation? I asked B6 and they said no because they only compensate for things they can control. That seems reasonable, but their Bill of Rights does seem to imply they are committed to provide compensation in my case, right? Or what am I missing?

Last edited by blueman2; May 11, 18 at 9:18 pm Reason: Corrected times. Ground time was just over 5 hrs, not 6
Old May 11, 18, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Were you on board the aircraft the full 6 hours? If so, was the door closed such that you could not get off and walk around?
Old May 11, 18, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

On board the full time, except that after about 3 hours we went back to the gate to allow anyone who needed to get off to do so. But frankly, I was pretty comfortable the whole time. After about 2 hours they brought out water and snacks which was nice.

The pilot wanted us on board because the ground stop was randomly lifted every hour or so, and he wanted to be ready to go when it happened. In fact, one time while we were connected to the gate, they released the stop, but we could not make it off the ground in time so lost that window.
Old May 11, 18, 7:31 pm

If the door was open then it doesn't apply. Technicality, perhaps, but that's the rule.
Old May 11, 18, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If the door was open then it doesn't apply. Technicality, perhaps, but that's the rule.
Ah. I guess. But then there should never be more than 2:59 ground delay then. Because the law requires the door to be opened after 3 hours, doesn't it? So why even list compensation for anything more than 2:59? Not disagreeing with you at all. Just sort of thinking out loud.
Old May 13, 18, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
Ah. I guess. But then there should never be more than 2:59 ground delay then. Because the law requires the door to be opened after 3 hours, doesn't it? So why even list compensation for anything more than 2:59? Not disagreeing with you at all. Just sort of thinking out loud.
Correct that they should never have to deliver on this. It was added after the last round of long tarmac delays as a way for JetBlue to say that it was going beyond the DoT requirements and also compensating passengers where the fine is just paid to the government.
blueman2 likes this.