FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ground Delay compensation
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2018, 4:19 pm
blueman2

Programs: UA 2MM
Ground Delay compensation

B6 flight 1042 on May 10 from SAV to JFK was ground delayed a total of just over 5 hours. Boarded 6:16pm and we took off at 11:30pm. We were treated very well and everyone on board took the lengthy delay in remarkably good spirits which was pretty cool. The delay was caused by ATC ground stop at JFK. I see in the customer bill of rights that delays compensation is only for controllable events. This obviously was not controllable. HOWEVER, the Bill of Rights also has a section for ground delays which does not appear to have this escape clause. Here is the wording:

Customers who experience an Onboard Ground Delay, except those necessitated by a security event, are entitled to compensation good for future travel on JetBlue:

Delay time: Compensation amount
3-4:59 hours: $100 Credit
5-5:59 hours: $175 Credit
6 +: $250 Credit
Since this was not a security issue, would I be due compensation? I asked B6 and they said no because they only compensate for things they can control. That seems reasonable, but their Bill of Rights does seem to imply they are committed to provide compensation in my case, right? Or what am I missing?

Last edited by blueman2; May 11, 2018 at 9:18 pm Reason: Corrected times. Ground time was just over 5 hrs, not 6