Refunds

Old Mar 25, 18, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott,SPG
Refunds

I'm rather confused about JetBlue's refund policy. When I look at "non-refundable" fares and then click on "Blue Flex" it says the fare is refundable without a penalty up to departure time. Am I misreading the refund policy?
Old Mar 25, 18, 10:23 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Blue/Blue Plus fares carry a chance/cancellation fee. Blue Flex fares are fully changeable/refundable without a fee. See here for more info.
Old Mar 25, 18, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

What is confusing me is that when I look on their website for a schedule & fare, I'm presented with tabs that say "non-refundable" and "refundable" If I click on Blue Flex fares, the refundable tab shows a MUCH higher fare than if I click on non-refundable. If Blue Flex fares are refundable, why would anyone pay the higher refundable fare?
Old Mar 25, 18, 4:35 pm

I agree that it is confusing. One difference between a refundable class fare and a Blue Flex fare is that with a refundable fare, you can actually no-show for the flight you booked and get a credit of the full amount you paid. Here is what B6 says about all non-refundable fares (including Blue Flex fares):

If you do not change/cancel before scheduled departure and you "no show" all money for reservation is forfeited.
And here is what B6 says about refundable fares:

All customers MUST change/cancel their flight prior to departure in order to receive a refund. If a customer "no shows" for a flight, the money on the reservation will be placed into a JetBlue credit for future travel within one year.
There are other advantages to booking Blue Flex vs. say a regular Blue refundable fare including:

- 2 free checked bags
- 5 bonus TB points vs. 3
- Expedited security

As a Mosaic member, almost none of this matters since you can book a regular Blue fare and pretty much have all the benefits of refundable/Blue Flex other than being able to no-show and still get a credit. In short, Blue Flex gives you 90%+ of the benefits of purchasing a Blue refundable fare, plus the other ancillary benefits above, but you need to cancel if you're not going to make the flight, otherwise, you forfeit the money paid. If you are not Mosaic, it really depends on how much you value each of the benefits provided by each fare class and what the price differential is.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Mar 25, 18, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks !!!
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:20 am

This should be updated. I bought a refundable fare last week, canceled an hour before my flight, and they only give credit. They would not give me my money back. Never read the fine print, never had to, but that's on me. So basically stealing if they won't give you your money back. I'm a million miler on two airlines with 150-200 flights a year, so not a newbie in any way, first ever booking on Jetblue, what a surprise. Never again.
Old Apr 22, 19, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy View Post
This should be updated. I bought a refundable fare last week, canceled an hour before my flight, and they only give credit. They would not give me my money back. Never read the fine print, never had to, but that's on me. So basically stealing if they won't give you your money back. I'm a million miler on two airlines with 150-200 flights a year, so not a newbie in any way, first ever booking on Jetblue, what a surprise. Never again.
Did you purchase a fully refundable fare or a Blue Flex fare? For the former, you should be able to get back the amount you paid in cash. For the latter, only a JetBlue credit for the amount you paid. As per above, they are two distinct things.
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ORD1Kguy View Post
What were the refund terms of the ticket? I am no B6 fan, but they do stick to the terms of the contract.

If you are due a refund and can't get it, do a CC chargeback and file a DOT complaint. But, be certain that the ticket you purchased was refundable.