Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Do extra seats count towards Mosaic qualification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others

Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:48 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

While I can't say for certain, I would think so since it's like making two separate reservations. I would be very surprised if there was some sort of exception handling in jetBlue's system to not earn points on the second reservation, so you should earn points as if you had booked two separate trips.

For those of you confused, you can see jetBlue's instructions for purchasing an extra seat here.

It is actually interesting to me because I am getting close to the end of my Mosaic Challenge period and I am a bit short. I was thinking about tacking on an extra roundtrip with an immediate turn (say JFK-BOS-JFK) when I return to JFK from PHX in a few weeks, but now I'm thinking I should just look to see whether I can purchase an extra seat on my PHX-JFK segment if that will put me over the top. It has the added advantage of not wasting a few hours flying to BOS and back.

Curious to hear other's thoughts on this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:49 pm

Sadly, they do not. It is the base fare that counts towards mosaic status multiplied by 3.

For example, if you spend 500 on a flight, breakdown is $400 for the fare, $50 in taxes, and $50 for an even more space seat, you will receive the qualifying spend on only the $400, netting 1200 points towards qualification.

Edit: at least from experience, and I've held mosaic for 3ish years now.

Edit 2: I can not read.

Last edited by cj_000; Oct 25, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by cj_000
Sadly, they do not. It is the base fare that counts towards mosaic status multiplied by 3.

For example, if you spend 500 on a flight, breakdown is $400 for the fare, $50 in taxes, and $50 for an even more space seat, you will receive the qualifying spend on only the $400, netting 1200 points towards qualification.
You are correct, but in this case, the second seat is not an add-on. You are paying the base fare for both seat 1 and seat 2. See the link I provided above.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You are correct, but in this case, the second seat is not an add-on. You are paying the base fare for both seat 1 and seat 2. See the link I provided above.
Wouldn't you know that I totally misread the question, and read space vs seat!

Your link does make for a very good point, since the base fare is paid twice. I know on other airlines, earrings from extra seats do not necessarily count / count towards qualifying miles (see musicians).

But considering how much of a mess JetBlue backend system is, I do wonder indeed!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing -- I'm about $400 short of re-qualification and it's easier to buy an extra seat than to take an unnecessary trip. I just bought one, let's see what happens...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: TrueBlue Mosaic, HHonors, Marriott
i would think you would have to buy 2 separate tickets under your name, and somehow have them both scanned at the gate. no?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by amonisis
i would think you would have to buy 2 separate tickets under your name, and somehow have them both scanned at the gate. no?
I think that's essentially what this is.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Yes - there are two ticket numbers with my last name, one has EXST for the first name. On the downside, I see a "N/A" under frequent flier where my B6 number is for the other seat.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:32 am

yes, but you can't do it the way they say to, because EXST would not match your TB #. If you book 2 separate seats and get the gate to scan them both, somehow, that would work (i'm assuming).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by amonisis
yes, but you can't do it the way they say to, because EXST would not match your TB #. If you book 2 separate seats and get the gate to scan them both, somehow, that would work (i'm assuming).
But wouldn't that would throw off their head count on departure check?
Extra Seat is not in the head count I believe.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
But wouldn't that would throw off their head count on departure check?
Extra Seat is not in the head count I believe.
yes, which is why i don't think it's possible to have 2 seats on 1 flight count
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:45 pm

I think the crux of the issue here is that the name won't match the TrueBlue number, hence the points won't credit to your TrueBlue account for the second seat. I ended up booking another short flight to put me over the top since I don't think this strategy will ultimately work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.