Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

canceling flight in storm effected area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I don't know jetBlue's policies on this so please help. My family was supposed to go to a wedding in EWR this weekend, but due to the hurricane, they are heeding the state of emergency and will be hunkered down with their hurricanes shutters closed on Saturday morning when their flight is supposed to be. Southwest put out an advisory for the weekend, but only mentioned changing flights and not canceling. In that case (for their return flight), they went ahead and canceled anyway, as the funds go into the "wallet" (which my mom calls it since jetBlue has a wallet system, Southwest does not...) for future use.

My question is if jetBlue has language that when the travel advisory goes into effect, can they be covered for canceling a flight without penalty and for a full refund or does it only cover changes? As of now, the advisory is not in effect, but it would be hard to believe that doesn't change by tomorrow. When that goes into effect, what reprieve would they have. It seems like it would be very unfair to charge a penalty to someone who has to cancel a flight in order to protect life and property, and who cannot reschedule (this wedding isn't getting canceled because two people who aren't family can't make it!), especially within 14 days.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:14 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Have they thought about just calling JetBlue and asking right now? JetBlue’s customer service is very good. While I wouldn’t guarantee it, I’d say there’s a decent chance they’d be willing to credit the funds to the travelers Travel Bank (the “wallet”) for future use. Absolutely no downside to trying. It also gives an opportunity to ask your original question if they won’t credit on the spot.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They ought to check B6's website for the terms of its Florida weather waiver and follow that. If there is not one yet, there will be one very soon.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
They ought to check B6's website for the terms of its Florida weather waiver and follow that. If there is not one yet, there will be one very soon.
Waiver issued. Canceled. Full refund. No issues
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
My situation is a little different. I am scheduled to fly to FL on Friday for a wedding and return on Monday. Right now they only have changes for Saturday and Sunday. Do you think they will extend those days to Friday until Monday? Do you think customer service would give me a refund if I call? Thank you
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
My situation is a little different. I am scheduled to fly to FL on Friday for a wedding and return on Monday. Right now they only have changes for Saturday and Sunday. Do you think they will extend those days to Friday until Monday? Do you think customer service would give me a refund if I call? Thank you
Based on the experience of jco613 above, we suggest you call ASAP and see what they will do for you. You can start by asking for a refund, or failing that, Travel Bank credits which are good for future travel.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:14 pm

I was scheduled to fly BWI-FLL on Saturday morning. Called today and was issued a full refund to my credit card. I am Mosaic, so I don't know if that made a difference.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Very impressed with Jetblue, my parents had travel booked to FL this weekend, obviously not going due to the hurricane and the rep offered to either refund the tickets or change them to a later date. The waiver covers travel until 9/12, but the rep waived the change fee & fare difference to change it to next month - love JetBlue's customer service for a non-status traveler!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:19 am

Flights not canceled

I have a flight to San Juan and the St Thomas scheduled for Saturday. Our resort has already canceled our reservations but JetBlue has only offered the waiver for flights through today. What do you think the likelihood of them extending the waiver to weekend flights will be? I haven't called customer service yet, but seeing the comments here makes me hopefully they'll be helpful.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Jenne4
I have a flight to San Juan and the St Thomas scheduled for Saturday. Our resort has already canceled our reservations but JetBlue has only offered the waiver for flights through today. What do you think the likelihood of them extending the waiver to weekend flights will be? I haven't called customer service yet, but seeing the comments here makes me hopefully they'll be helpful.
Based on comments here you have a decent shot. I would recommend calling ASAP and seeing what they are willing to do for you.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
http://blog.jetblue.com/hurricane-irma/
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I just cancelled a flight Sept 16 MIA to SFO and got a full refund, not just a travel credit. Made reservation Sept 10. They did not have to provide full refund, but I asked anyway if they could, and they very graciously said 'sure'.

I love JetBlue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.