Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Lots of Changes (165 seats per Airbus, and more)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lots of Changes (165 seats per Airbus, and more)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:14 am
Suspended

The more pranging question is: when will these changes be implemented?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:18 am

I'm seriously worried about the survival of B6 in the long term. So they are now no different from legacies but have to compete against not just the legacies but also against WN and ULCC as well?

For example, the BOS-Washington market, I don't know how they'll compete. For BOS-BWI, they already are waving white flag as WN (FL) is walloping them with frequency (and soon will have the only free bag). For BOS-DCA, US can kill them with capacity and frequency if they wish, now especially with merger. And think they may be safe with BOS-IAD? UA says hello, where they can dominate the route by flying B757 or something (and they are!). (Oh, and then there's Amtrak). The only saving grace for B6 was free bag and seat comfort (and TV and snacks) but if some of them are gone, the legacies can eat them alive.

I guess B6 can go the way of F9 and become ULCC.

There are quite a few B6 loyalists in BOS area, and they aren't happy.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by FLIHGH
http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix....dWJzaWQ9NTc%3d

All of the slides from the presentation starting in 4 minutes can be found above.

165 seats per Airbus, while still maintaining the most legroom in coach.

3 fare families...including 0 bag family, 1 bag family, 2 bag family.
162 -> 156 -> 150 -> and now 165 seats on the 320, welcome back to westbound fuel stops in winter on the legacy fleet.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:56 am

I hope the don't cut back on EMS pitch. EMS has better pitch than DL EC, UA E+ and AA MCE. The added space is defiantly a factor in me preferring B6.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
There aren't really any positive differentiators left for them - only some negative.
B6 negatives: thin network map, sparse frequencies, top-heavy with redeyes when you're starting from the west, unfriendly interlining policy in irrops, rarely competitive on price, worthless FF program, weak international partnerships.

Knock down seat pitch and all these factors loom larger.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:21 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Still the Best Free in-flight entertainment

Still Free snacks

Still 90% Free seat reservations

Still no charge for Carry-ons unlike some Ultra LCC

No change mentioned to EMB190 So I'm OK

Its the day of consumers that book, based on the lowest prices on Price Comparison and Mega Sites that are really responsible for B9 following market forces.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:47 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
What seat type is JetBlue using on the A320's today?

Will they be changing them to the slimmer Recaro seats?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Still the Best Free in-flight entertainment

Still Free snacks

Still 90% Free seat reservations

Still no charge for Carry-ons unlike some Ultra LCC

No change mentioned to EMB190 So I'm OK

Its the day of consumers that book, based on the lowest prices on Price Comparison and Mega Sites that are really responsible for B9 following market forces.
I'm a Mosaic member since they added it (translation: One of their better customers who travels a lot on Jet Blue). The reason I travel on jet Blue is the legroom. The free bag is nice, but a lot of these trips are covered by my employer, so if I had to pay for a bag, that wouldn't be a deal breaker. The in flight snacks are OK, but grow old. The in flight TV is nice--better than not having one--but not all that much better than, say, Virgin America.

Take away legroom? Then I might as well fly whatever airline has the best times and prices.

IMHO, this is EXTREMELY near-sighted and will run the brand name into the ground in short order.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
NEWS FLASH: United Airlines Jeff Smisek served as a special consultant to Jet Blue on cost cutting and customer service cuts and devaluation. His special expertise in this area served a critical role in the decision-making process.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The more pranging question is: when will these changes be implemented?
That question is answered in the linked presentation, slide 26. New fares in mid-2015, cabin refresh starting 3Q2016. Those are assumptions in the presentation, leading me to believe that's what they'd like to do, but haven't gotten far enough to actually set a date.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by boss315
NEWS FLASH: United Airlines Jeff Smisek served as a special consultant to Jet Blue on cost cutting and customer service cuts and devaluation. His special expertise in this area served a critical role in the decision-making process.
That's hilarious!!! But, sadly not far from the truth. The email that was sent out to-day could have come right out of ol' Jeff's PR shop.

I have to agree with the frustration echoed here. Trying something different, I started flying to DC and back with JetBlue in May and hit Mosaic in late August. I would buy *NON*-refundable seats, so with a $5K spend requirement to hit Mosaic, that should prove that they're not a 'LCC', or cheap. Then the EMS seats price keeps creeping up. First $20, then $25, and now it's $35. Ok, so I guess there's a demand for it because idiots like myself pay for it, but this can't bode well for the Airbus flyers. EMS seats are only going to go for much higher $ very soon. I think BOS -> FLL is already around $70 o/w. When I called the Mosaic line to make a change to another ticket, I was told that the 15K bonus TrueBlue points for Mosaic were to help off-set extra space purchases. Really? At 3K a pop! So, I used those points to buy flights and didn't opt for EMS seats. Then we have the WINTER25 promo code which went out a few days ago. Awesome, maybe this will get me flying with them again in January. Guess what? Friday and Sunday travel are not included in the offer. In sum, tried the 'low cost' carrier and it turned out not to be so low cost.

Booking a month out:

US B6
Fare $89 $89
Drink $0 $7
EMS $0 $35
$89 $131

So, now I'm back with AA/US for their shuttle flights. Hourly service, complimentary Choice Seats, complimentary drinks (beer or wine) and a lounge to wait in if I get to the airport early. Direct TV is nice, but so is an iPad or a book.

Last edited by CHOPCHOP767; Nov 19, 2014 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:35 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
quite a shame. doesnt relaly make me willing to pay more to fly them... even though I dont check bags, and live in chicago. Hopefully they don't up their pet charge either... that is the main reason I want to fly them next year...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I like the change in bag fees. No reason why I should be subsidizing other passenger's bags when I don't check any.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:05 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I like the change in bag fees. No reason why I should be subsidizing other passenger's bags when I don't check any.
I never check bags either, but let's be frank - when an airline is posting record profits, people aren't really subsidizing each other.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
That's hilarious!!! But, sadly not far from the truth. The email that was sent out to-day could have come right out of ol' Jeff's PR shop.

I have to agree with the frustration echoed here. Trying something different, I started flying to DC and back with JetBlue in May and hit Mosaic in late August. I would buy *NON*-refundable seats, so with a $5K spend requirement to hit Mosaic, that should prove that they're not a 'LCC', or cheap. Then the EMS seats price keeps creeping up. First $20, then $25, and now it's $35. Ok, so I guess there's a demand for it because idiots like myself pay for it, but this can't bode well for the Airbus flyers. EMS seats are only going to go for much higher $ very soon. I think BOS -> FLL is already around $70 o/w. When I called the Mosaic line to make a change to another ticket, I was told that the 15K bonus TrueBlue points for Mosaic were to help off-set extra space purchases. Really? At 3K a pop! So, I used those points to buy flights and didn't opt for EMS seats. Then we have the WINTER25 promo code which went out a few days ago. Awesome, maybe this will get me flying with them again in January. Guess what? Friday and Sunday travel are not included in the offer. In sum, tried the 'low cost' carrier and it turned out not to be so low cost.

Booking a month out:

US B6
Fare $89 $89
Drink $0 $7
EMS $0 $35
$89 $131

So, now I'm back with AA/US for their shuttle flights. Hourly service, complimentary Choice Seats, complimentary drinks (beer or wine) and a lounge to wait in if I get to the airport early. Direct TV is nice, but so is an iPad or a book.
Complimentary choice seats? Since when? I'd still say JetBlue is nicer than US Airways after these changes.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't go further with the changes. They are cutting legroom from 34" (note this is what UA offers in E+) to 33", big deal, it's one inch, most legacies currently offer 30" only. Yes, I don't like the first bag fee, but they've kept the snacks, entertainment, and most of their other differentiation. Personally, when I saw the announcement, I expected no more free anything onboard, 30" slimlines, and fees for checked and carry on bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.