Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Dec/Jan ticket release date + best time to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

I am planning a trip to the Caribbean for this coming Christmas. As most airlines already have tickets available for December and January, I am wondering when JetBlue will release tickets. I gave them a call and they were ambiguous as to when they would come out, as I expected.

Anyone know, from past years possibly, when tickets generally come out?

Also- concerning the best time to buy tickets. I have heard mixed messages. From my understanding it is best to buy tickets that are in high demand (such as to the Caribbean during Christmas) as soon as they are released. I can't see tickets to the Caribbean for Christmas going down in price, as there is a guaranteed demand for them (especially for JetBlue, who releases tickets late).

Am I right in assuming this?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

History of flight schedule releases can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...on-thread.html. Depending on when in January you want to return odds are late March/early April or June for the seats to be available to buy.

As for when to buy, that's harder to say for sure. If you're flying JetBlue enough and you're comfortable taking a credit against future fare drops you can always buy when the seats are released and then watch the fares (use www.yapta.com or similar) and get it adjusted if it drops. But that's only a credit, not a refund. Otherwise it is a bit more of a guessing game.

I would bet that fares will go down from the day they are released at some point, but I have no idea when or by how much.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:28 am

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a USAirways flight to BGI from upstate NY over Xmas/New Years for roughly $1000 per passenger, or whether I should wait for the JetBlue schedule to come out.

The USAirways flight has the benefit of only one connection through CLT where bad weather possibilities are lessened in my mind. Plus, there are other options to get home in case we are stranded

Any advice or ideas? Is $1000 a reasonable price for that time of year?
Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Connections to BGI

Originally Posted by faciar
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a USAirways flight to BGI from upstate NY over Xmas/New Years for roughly $1000 per passenger, or whether I should wait for the JetBlue schedule to come out.

The USAirways flight has the benefit of only one connection through CLT where bad weather possibilities are lessened in my mind. Plus, there are other options to get home in case we are stranded

Any advice or ideas? Is $1000 a reasonable price for that time of year?
Thanks!
If it is a choice of only 1 connection vs 2 connections I would choose the one with 1 connection (go through CLT). US is more likely to get you from BGI to CLT in bad weather but B6 is more likely to have the flights from JFK-Upstate running in snow. A few years ago my family paid 1400 for JFK-PLS round trip so the USair fares are not too bad. I would avoid UA connections through EWR as that has bad luck even in good weather. Don't forget about the cost of luggage in your calculations (B6 is free for the first one ) .
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:23 pm

Yes the luggage fee is a pain on US. But I do get concerned about airport conditions at JFK in the winter. Thinking that CLT may be a safer bet. I have no clue what B6 fares will be when they are released. Right at the holidays-and school vacation- it could be high. (Sigh), it's a game of roulette....
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:28 pm

US flights

Originally Posted by faciar
Yes the luggage fee is a pain on US. But I do get concerned about airport conditions at JFK in the winter. Thinking that CLT may be a safer bet. I have no clue what B6 fares will be when they are released. Right at the holidays-and school vacation- it could be high. (Sigh), it's a game of roulette....
Are the US flights on regular planes or is it a US Air express flight? The express flights get canceled quicker during irrops operations .
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:06 pm

US Air express so yes, cancellation is an issue too. :-(
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:08 pm

I would wait a month since JetBlue should release the schedule in April . The fares will be higher this further out though. Can you book B6 outbound and US Air on the return?
That way in the worst case scenario you would get stuck at CLT (or if you want to get stuck at BGI then book B6). Its playing weather roulette and there is no easy answer .
I think this was a difficult weather winter for NY so next year should be easier.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:57 am

Thanks for your feedback, it really has been helpful. Sadly, the one way return on US is $150 more pp for that one flight compared to booking a RT. So annoying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.