Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Boston, today, jetBlue shutting down operations at 5:00 PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston, today, jetBlue shutting down operations at 5:00 PM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
well in a way thats what you get with low budget low cost low anemities airlines like JetBlue, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, etc....

When there are disruptions expect them to be magnified.
I don't know your source. Other than when the airport conditions dictate, Spirit has been operating on time. The cancellations by DAL out of LGA meant no wait times. The cancellations out of ORD by United made it easy till - 40 temps shut it all down.

The flight from LGA to FLL today went out with 217 passengers. The continuation to SJU went out with 217. The other flights are recorded and you can look them up.

So airlines are flying, just not Blueskies (a name coined by a senior Captain at JetBlue).
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow that is just unacceptable and absurd for an airline to basically give up for a day.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:37 pm

Hey guys, I was involved with this fiasco today and I'm a long term lurker but my experience today made me want to create a post. I flew from PBI to Boston 1/5 at 6 am which ended up leaving close to 11 am bc the crew could not find a second flight attendant. I knew the weather was going to be bad going into Boston but I had post graduate interview I could not miss . After leaving the interview yesterday 1/6, I make it to the airport to learn ALL jet blue flights were cancelled from 5 pm onward. The thermometer in the car read 45 degrees with a light drizzle - no reason to cancel a flight back to FLORIDA!! The weather was fine all day long.

I go to the ticket counter and the jet blue attending said she would do all she could for me, she informed me the next jet blue flight she could schedule me on to West Palm beach wouldn't leave until 1/9!! Three days later!! To top it off they were not placing pax into a hotel, and would only reimburse me for half of my flight if I cancelled!! They even insulted me with a $50 goodwill coupon!! I ended up literally sprinting over US Airways to try and make a flight but I didn't make it on time. Knowing American is affiliated with B6, i went to their terminal and I had a flight booked for tomorrow morning with American, but the ticket counter could not get a jet blue representative to sign off on the ticket. I return to the jet blue counter and informed them I was a student who could not miss a weeks worth of classes and they basically said "sorry." I feel like I should file a legitimate complaint.. People were crying and screaming left and right today in Boston due to frustration. A jet blue employee informed me the cancellations were due to the lack of staff at Boston airport. The weather was fine and No other airline had any cancellations or even serious delays for that matter. This problem makes it a corporate issue. I ended up paying for another flight out of my own pocket to fly back tomorrow morning with another airline. The description I gave was a 5 hour ordeal and really doesn't do today justice, but I had to post something about it.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:55 am

Just went through a security gate at BOS and the FAA asked Jetblue to stop operation for the next 17hrs (at least this is what I think I heard) from yesterday (Jan 6th) 5pm as there were not following regulations and have been scheduling flights which they couldn't supply due to delays/cancellations.

So Jetblue is being asked to put this on their operations on hold as they haven't nicely behaving.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:27 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Do you mean that Delta is actually flying some aircraft? I got the impression from JB that all flights were cancelled...
ONLY JetBlue canceled flights in BOS and the three NYC airports.

Other airlines were operating, many with delays, but at least they didn't just throw their hands up in the air (like they didn't care?) and give up.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:29 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by bobthekitten
Just went through a security gate at BOS and the FAA asked Jetblue to stop operation for the next 17hrs (at least this is what I think I heard) from yesterday (Jan 6th) 5pm as there were not following regulations and have been scheduling flights which they couldn't supply due to delays/cancellations.

So Jetblue is being asked to put this on their operations on hold as they haven't nicely behaving.
Not sure this is correct, I haven't seen it reported anywhere that the FAA told JetBlue to stop flying.

JetBlue is blaming new FAA Pilot Rest rules for some of their problems, but that's malarkey as these rules have been known about for months.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANC
well in a way thats what you get with low budget low cost low anemities airlines like JetBlue,...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Not sure this is correct, I haven't seen it reported anywhere that the FAA told JetBlue to stop flying.

JetBlue is blaming new FAA Pilot Rest rules for some of their problems, but that's malarkey as these rules have been known about for months.
JetBlue has no one to blame but themselves. They should learn from Delta and that is when something doesn't go right, man up and apologize, even if its not there fault (but it obviously is in this case). I mean, all the other airlines also have to comply with the new FAA rules but they didn't shut off the lights and go home for the better part of two days. I wonder how those shiny new A321's will look in the Delta livery?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
You think there will be anyone fueling those planes? You cannot ask of people to risk their lives. If it get's much below 0 (-40 and lower), Jet-A will turn into a clunk of tar.
So all the other airlines are risking thier employees lives.

JetBlue is an airline I don't fly in the winter. This is not the first time they have proven "we don't have a clue how to handle a storm" LOL!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...e-storm-delays
"The travel disruptions probably will evoke memories of JetBlue’s six-day effort to recover from an ice storm on Feb. 14, 2007, said Mann, the consultant. Planes were grounded across the airline’s network, stranding fliers on jets and in terminals for as long as 10 hours."

As you may recall that turned into a disaster where they just stopped flying to selected cities.. Hmm.....

Expecting change? Really?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
So all the other airlines are risking thier employees lives.

JetBlue is an airline I don't fly in the winter. This is not the first time they have proven "we don't have a clue how to handle a storm" LOL!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...e-storm-delays
"The travel disruptions probably will evoke memories of JetBlue’s six-day effort to recover from an ice storm on Feb. 14, 2007, said Mann, the consultant. Planes were grounded across the airline’s network, stranding fliers on jets and in terminals for as long as 10 hours."

As you may recall that turned into a disaster where they just stopped flying to selected cities.. Hmm.....

Expecting change? Really?
its very obvious that jetblue cant play with the big boys. All the other airlines, from legacy to LCC, did not even come close to having to shut down operations that spanned the better part of two days.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
All the symptoms of overexpansion. Take yesterday, at Ft. Lauderdale. They are now the largest carrier at that busy airport, but could not handle the crowds caused by cancellations. Authorities ended up putting customers in a long line, outside, where they stood in the heat for a long time. There will need to be a lot of explaining, once it becomes obvious this wasn't just FAA rules, and weather. On a day to day basis, they are great, but, once again, we see an apparent failure to anticipate problems associated with growth. There are related issues. No WiFi, still an inability to issue a TSA PreCheck BP, months after joining the program, and integration of premium seating on transcon flights, which doesn't mesh with any other service levels in the system. If they can make that work, they will be the first. Seeing a debacle like this won't do much to build business related travel.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA LT GLD
Mobile App problems?

Cannot get a Mobile App BP (TSA Pre-Check) for tomorrow's 9AM flight BOS/STT -- anyone else having this particular non-weather, non-FAA problem?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Another quickie. Let's drop the cut rate airline references. B6 has some of the highest ticket prices. A lot of this is due to having successfully established major presences at some very big airports, like BOS, JFK, SJU, FLL, PBI, MCO. This isn't Allegiant. For many of us, they are a carrier of choice, which is what makes the current situation doubly frustrating.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
I'm not traveling during all this and as my carrier of choice, I'd like to see the CEO stand up and explain what happened. They said they learned from 2007, but clearly not true. 200 planes and they still can't run an operation during IRROPS, wall street will hammer them for this as now this will cost millions.

Not sure what to say other than I feel bad for people who have been stranded but they will take some big hits once this is over.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Friend of ours texted from B6's T5 that it is absolute mayhem inside now with thousands stranded, hoping to get out - only a handful of 100% full B6 flights managed to takeoff this morning @ JFK, 80 to 90% of the scheduled flights shown on the monitors cancelled. Sure enough, flightstats data looked awful - this recovery is going to take days ...

But, news media outlet reporting a short while ago that B6 has (begun) resumed flight ops (very, very slowly & partially) at area airports this (late) morning after yesterday's near melt-down as other carriers UA & AA struggled to maintain their flight ops.

Very true about post comment above, their fare prices USED to be low & reasonable, NOT true these days out of/into its JFK hub.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm Reason: Political commentary removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.