FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Boston, today, jetBlue shutting down operations at 5:00 PM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1538445-boston-today-jetblue-shutting-down-operations-5-00-pm.html)

H3A3H3 Jan 6, 2014 10:22 am

Boston, today, jetBlue shutting down operations at 5:00 PM

The Boston news just reported that jetBlue announced that they are shutting down operations in Boston at 5:00 PM today, and that they hope to resume operations by 3:00 PM tomorrow.

All weekend long, the local media has been reporting passengers stranded for long periods of time in Boston Logan International Airport, Terminal C (home of jetBlue, United, and Cape Air).

The lines for the jetBlue Ticket Counter at Logan on TV looks absolutely ridiculous.

buckeyefanflyer Jan 6, 2014 10:26 am

Why are they doing this, the weather looks OK.

craz Jan 6, 2014 10:46 am

Its not only BOS , its LGA,JFK (Oh My) and EWR as well. 17 hrs shut down to try and recoup, before restarting OPs

Combo of WX,Holiday demand and new pilot rest rules has them running around like chickens w/o any heads

PlateMan Jan 6, 2014 11:06 am

From the B6 blog:

"Beginning at 1 p.m. ET today, we’ll reduce operations at JFK, LaGuardia, Newark, and Boston through 10 a.m. ET Tuesday. At that time, we’ll gradually ramp up again – we intend to be 100% operational by 3 p.m. ET on Tuesday. This plan allows for 17 hours of rest for crews, and time for Tech Ops to service the aircraft."

H3A3H3 Jan 6, 2014 11:11 am

In my opinion, this is another jetBlue meltdown, that can not be entirely attributed to weather.

Again, in my opinion, jetBlue (and many other airlines) have cut their "spare capacity" so thin, that they no longer have an adequate threshold to help the recovery at the start of a meltdown.

My bet, is that the Government will again get involved after this weekend's jetBlue meltdown.

I must admit, first, the Farmer's Almanac, pegged this weather pattern right, and second, even after jetBlue's "adjustment" over the next 24 hours, the horrific weather that is forecasted for this coming week, will continue to create disrupted air travel for the next week or two. It's just not reasonable to expect people and machinery - - en masse - - to operate efficiently, if at all, at -20 degrees F.

sfozrhfco Jan 6, 2014 11:23 am

Yeah, the weather is fine right now...but the temperatures are dropping fast tonight to feel like -1 which would severely disrupt flights for much longer if they planes are left there given that it is supposed to rain right before the freeze comes. Having your whole fleet glued to the ground in ice or getting the fleet out now and resuming a more normal schedule the next day is the far more prudent option.

MGW2000 Jan 6, 2014 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan (Post 22096101)
In my opinion, this is another jetBlue meltdown, that can not be entirely attributed to weather.

I was scheduled to fly FLL-BOS yesterday and cancelled. I looked for availability on B6 out of TPA/PBI/FLL to BOS/EWR/LGA/JFK/PVD and couldn't get a seat until Wednesday morning. I ended up flying MIA-JFK yesterday on AA and driving.

The fact that B6 was having so many crew cancellations on the Sunday after a major storm on Thursday/Friday is disappointing. I understand that the new FAA crew rest regulations are a pain, but B6's operation has been quite the mess.

jkburns1 Jan 6, 2014 11:41 am

So shutting most everything down and giving EVERYONE 17 hours of rest.

Yet at same time they'll be adding an enormous backlog of stranded passengers to the already enormous backlog they are already reeling from?

How is it again this should help them get back to normal? Wouldn't staggering rest for crews and keeping SOME of their BOS/NYC flights going to try and dig out from under the mess they have on their hands make a lot more sense?

I guess I'm confused by the... meh screw it we're such a mess lets all get some sleep and come back again tomorrow and try again logic. I mean it'd be funny if it wasn't so damn crazy.

fastflyer Jan 6, 2014 12:38 pm

I'll wager that the "shutdown" continues until Wednesday morning. They will not resume operations on Tuesday.

CDKing Jan 6, 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 22095925)
Its not only BOS , its LGA,JFK (Oh My) and EWR as well. 17 hrs shut down to try and recoup, before restarting OPs

Combo of WX,Holiday demand and new pilot rest rules has them running around like chickens w/o any heads

Im sure they dont want a repeat of what happened to WN in MDW a few days ago.

craz Jan 6, 2014 1:20 pm

Again, in my opinion, jetBlue (and many other airlines) have cut their "spare capacity" so thin, that they no longer have an adequate threshold to help the recovery at the start of a meltdown.

My bet, is that the Government will again get involved after this weekend's jetBlue meltdown.

I must admit, first, the Farmer's Almanac, pegged this weather pattern right, and second, even after jetBlue's "adjustment" over the next 24 hours, the horrific weather that is forecasted for this coming week, will continue to create disrupted air travel for the next week or two. It's just not reasonable to expect people and machinery - - en masse - - to operate efficiently, if at all, at -20 degrees F.

Even a broken clock will be correct twice a day. Its very easy for me to say buy IBM eventually I ahve to get it right, what % is the FA correct prediction wise? didnt the FA predict a bad hurricane season yet that didnt occur

your prediction about the govt was 100% correct even before anything happened since as of 1/1/14 there are new Govt pilot rest rules, so to an extent part of the trouble can be laid at the Govts feet, but of cause the govt didnt come up with the new rules on 12/30/13 so where was JB till now

I do agree with you 100% about the carriers cutting themselves no slack, so if something goes wrong look out!

ULDB65 Jan 6, 2014 1:27 pm

One of my kids was supposed to fly to BOS on Jet Blue last Friday. Flight was cancelled, and they told her it would be at least a week before they could accommodate her on another flight to BOS, and refunded her low-cost-bought-way-in-advance ticket. This was before they announced yet another shutdown today.

She then spent many hundreds of dollars more to fly Delta on Sunday, and had no issues.

mikeef Jan 6, 2014 2:25 pm

We have a couch available tonight if anyone would otherwise be stuck sleeping at the airport. We live in Brookline, which is accessible via the T, but would probably take you about an hour to get to us.

Mike

ANC Jan 6, 2014 3:00 pm

I always find it hilarious when Airlines shut down operations when it gets a little cold. If my primary airline (AS) did that, their operations would cease to exist :D They wouldnt be able to fly to FAI from October to April

ANC Jan 6, 2014 3:04 pm

It's just not reasonable to expect people and machinery - - en masse - - to operate efficiently, if at all, at -20 degrees F.

bunch of softies :p