Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Boston, today, jetBlue shutting down operations at 5:00 PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by ANC
I always find it hilarious when Airlines shut down operations when it gets a little cold. If my primary airline (AS) did that, their operations would cease to exist They wouldnt be able to fly to FAI from October to April
It really has little to do with the airline and much more to do with the airport. FAI is designed and prepared to deal with extreme cold. BOS/JFK not so much. Do you find it hilarious that Floridians don't have plug-ins for their cars?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It's now 12 below 0 at Chicago ORD and it will get colder and still operating flights. The weather is not bad in any of those cities. People still stranded from last weeks storms.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
I always find it hilarious when Airlines shut down operations when it gets a little cold. If my primary airline (AS) did that, their operations would cease to exist They wouldnt be able to fly to FAI from October to April
Looking now, it is +14 deg F in Fairbanks, and -10 deg F in Chicago.

Heck,the high in Boston tomorrow is expected to be +13 deg F.

I'd say Fairbanks has it pretty easy. :-)

Mike
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
It's now 12 below 0 at Chicago ORD and it will get colder and still operating flights. The weather is not bad in any of those cities. People still stranded from last weeks storms.
You think there will be anyone fueling those planes? You cannot ask of people to risk their lives. If it get's much below 0 (-40 and lower), Jet-A will turn into a clunk of tar.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craz
your prediction about the govt was 100% correct even before anything happened since as of 1/1/14 there are new Govt pilot rest rules, so to an extent part of the trouble can be laid at the Govts feet, but of cause the govt didnt come up with the new rules on 12/30/13 so where was JB till now
The pilot rest rule was finalized more than two years ago. All carriers have had plenty of time to model effects, hire if needed, and schedule accordingly. It wasn't going to matter if the rule were effective 12/1/13, 1/4/14, or 3/1/14 -- this is just more 'The dog ate my homework.'
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:05 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
It really has little to do with the airline and much more to do with the airport. FAI is designed and prepared to deal with extreme cold. BOS/JFK not so much. Do you find it hilarious that Floridians don't have plug-ins for their cars?
No I understand all that. Although comments like

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
You think there will be anyone fueling those planes? You cannot ask of people to risk their lives. .
are very funny
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I was scheduled to fly BOS-SEA on the now-canceled flight this afternoon. This was my rebooking from when that same flight was canceled last Thursday, in the early hours of the snowstorm.

Fortunately, I bought some tickets on DL last Thursday and made it home more or less on time. The extra $240 it cost are feeling more and more worth it.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
In my opinion, this is another jetBlue meltdown, that can not be entirely attributed to weather.

Again, in my opinion, jetBlue (and many other airlines) have cut their "spare capacity" so thin, that they no longer have an adequate threshold to help the recovery at the start of a meltdown.
Are we willing to pay higher fares so that the airlines can have plenty of excess capacity to make it through a once or twice a decade event? Generally, the answer is a resounding "NO"!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The airline business is a 24 hour 7 day a week operation so you need to have enough employees, pilots, flight attendants, maintenance people to support the schedule of flights. You are stranding thousands of people tonight as a result of this decision.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:10 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The airline business is a 24 hour 7 day a week operation so you need to have enough employees, pilots, flight attendants, maintenance people to support the schedule of flights. You are stranding thousands of people tonight as a result of this decision.
well in a way thats what you get with low budget low cost low anemities airlines like JetBlue, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, etc....

When there are disruptions expect them to be magnified.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Cold? not

I hope the latest round of B6 "can't do" isn't blamed on temps! I just walked home a few miles in a light coat and rain jacket and was fine. The temp is going down but is still above freezing, and has been all day.

This latest seems like madness. You've got a large and growing number of distressed customers and you just shut down operations??? Are they that badly disorganized? Ordinarily I prefer to fly B6 but this is making me very wary of flying on them in the winter.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
It was a balmy 56 F in Boston today. Not sure what's going on here. They should have used today to catch up.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by PVDProf
I was scheduled to fly BOS-SEA on the now-canceled flight this afternoon. This was my rebooking from when that same flight was canceled last Thursday, in the early hours of the snowstorm.

Fortunately, I bought some tickets on DL last Thursday and made it home more or less on time. The extra $240 it cost are feeling more and more worth it.

Do you mean that Delta is actually flying some aircraft? I got the impression from JB that all flights were cancelled...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum

9:30 pm it's a brisk 34 and almost down to freezing point yet B6 shut down 4.5 hours ago due to the "deep freeze."
Hmmmm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
B6 shutdown

Originally Posted by jkburns1
9:30 pm it's a brisk 34 and almost down to freezing point yet B6 shut down 4.5 hours ago due to the "deep freeze."
Hmmmm
They did send a flight to Barbados (8020) so that there will be a plane their tomorrow to ensure that the flight tomorrow will get off. I suspect after this week their will be more demand for pilots to help prevent future issues. (Of course this may mean the regional jets may have issues since their pilots will go to the majors. ) I suspect the pilots salaries may go up (at least at non union shops).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.