Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Stranded a Group of Passangers In Barbados, May Not Get Them Home For a Week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Stranded a Group of Passangers In Barbados, May Not Get Them Home For a Week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Scratch that, 2 injured, 1 killed(co-pilot) in a crash at the Aspen, CO airport today.

-Patrick
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Did they change the article? What I read said 190.
Yep. It said 120 before.

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
is this right? JetBlue is losing nearly 41 seats to start service with Mint cabin? What in the world were they thinking? I wonder how long it will be until they remove Mint to add the 41 extra coach seats they could have? I give it a year...
The seat counts are from JetBlue's published seat maps.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Originally Posted by TIGA31328
I agree with an earlier posters comment about JetBlue simply not having a good recovery strategy, and or, even the capability to recover from weather, or even equipment issues. I disagree with the earlier poster that thinks that someone on vacation should be proactively monitoring the news and know what is going on, that's the point of it being a 'Vacation'.

Simply put, JetBlue is going to give you the blues if you rely on them.

-Patrick
Nonsense. Go over to the FT UA forum and see the hundreds of posts of horrendous UA customer service over the last week and it will make Jet Blue's blips seem minor in the bigger scheme of things.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
I'm amused at the fact folks like smb come rushing to the defense of horrendous service. The airlines job is to get people from one place to the next and yes weather causes delays but when it's for days and even a week there is a responsibility and it IS poor service.

There is not 100% utilization so now that it's been recognized it's staffing. Well who's fault is it the staff is so thin that they can't staff a flight to get these stranded customers back?

UPS has a responsibility to get packages transported and did you catch the uproar with UPS and Amazon over poor service when christmas deliveries were a day or two late. This isn't a day or two late it's a week in the case of Barbados.

Simply amazed that the horrendous treatment of customers and poor service by airlines has not only become an acceptable norm here in the US but that some of us who are beaten down by this service and use it frequently come rushing to the defense of the miserable service.

Stranding passengers in Barbados is NOT the customer's fault - what a ridiculous notion that somehow it's on them.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Airlines need airport to be open

Originally Posted by jkburns1
I'm amused at the fact folks like smb come rushing to the defense of horrendous service. The airlines job is to get people from one place to the next and yes weather causes delays but when it's for days and even a week there is a responsibility and it IS poor service.

There is not 100% utilization so now that it's been recognized it's staffing. Well who's fault is it the staff is so thin that they can't staff a flight to get these stranded customers back?

UPS has a responsibility to get packages transported and did you catch the uproar with UPS and Amazon over poor service when christmas deliveries were a day or two late. This isn't a day or two late it's a week in the case of Barbados.

Simply amazed that the horrendous treatment of customers and poor service by airlines has not only become an acceptable norm here in the US but that some of us who are beaten down by this service and use it frequently come rushing to the defense of the miserable service.

Stranding passengers in Barbados is NOT the customer's fault - what a ridiculous notion that somehow it's on them.
Airlines need the airports to be open . JFK was closed for 3 hours yesterday and the ATC I am sure is still backed up. Its not the airlines fault the ATC system is 30 years back level. Today United canceled all of the UAX flights from their hub due to the weather (its too cold for the planes to fly). Also if the fares went up 20$ to give the airlines more slack in recovery, people would be screaming and would not fly.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: HHonors - Gold / Hyatt - Gold / Fairmont - Premier / AA - Executive Platinum / US / UA / DL
Unfortunately for the folks in BGI not only is the flight cancelled again today, but it has already been cancelled for tomorrow as well. Nevertheless, in the defense of JetBlue, as no-one else has ever seen JetBlue put on extra sections after weather related cancellations, I can admit that on multiple occasions I have seen JetBlue add extra sections. In fact, in my opinion, and through my many years of travel experience, I would rate JetBlue, Delta and Air Canada as the top three airlines for adding extra sections or substituting a larger aircraft, as I've seen Air Canada do on multiple occasions.

At the end of the day, in my honest opinion many people on here are really being unrealistic in their expectation that JetBlue should add additional sections now, while weather and airport operations are not normal.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by bmg42000
Airlines need the airports to be open . JFK was closed for 3 hours yesterday and the ATC I am sure is still backed up. Its not the airlines fault the ATC system is 30 years back level. Today United canceled all of the UAX flights from their hub due to the weather (its too cold for the planes to fly). Also if the fares went up 20$ to give the airlines more slack in recovery, people would be screaming and would not fly.

And like I said in my message - weather delays for several hours, even a day - are one thing. Delays for a week is something entirely different. As for the fares, they might scream, but they've gone up a lot more then $20 when you consider the additional fees and decreases in service over the last several years.

So your contention is the ATC is the sole cause of Jetblues' woes in stranding these barbados passengers, nothing could be done to alleviate it by Jetblue and it's also why US domestic airlines service is so hideous in comparison to most foreign carriers?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
This is now a matter of doing the best a pax can do to cope...Jet Fuel froze today at ORD ! Go figure. Will take a few days.....
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:34 pm

People vote with their $$$

Originally Posted by jkburns1
And like I said in my message - weather delays for several hours, even a day - are one thing. Delays for a week is something entirely different. As for the fares, they might scream, but they've gone up a lot more then $20 when you consider the additional fees and decreases in service over the last several years.

So your contention is the ATC is the sole cause of Jetblues' woes in stranding these barbados passengers, nothing could be done to alleviate it by Jetblue and it's also why US domestic airlines service is so hideous in comparison to most foreign carriers?
People constantly vote with their $$$ and go with the lowest cost carrier. Airlines are in business to make money and with the oil prices having gone up in the last few years they need to send out fuller planes . If you are willing to pay extra money so that they can run with 60% load factors (that will back irrorps recovery easier then you may be one of the few. They airline fares are generally a really good deal. I pay a cab 100$ to get to the airport when the airline can fly me cross country for 175$.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If you are willing to pay extra money so that they can run with 60% load factors (that will back irrorps recovery easier then you may be one of the few.
DL's (who has arguably the best IROPs recovery in the industry) load factor was about 83.5%, while B6's was about 84.9%. Load factor ain't why their IROPs recovery capabilities are massively different, chief. And judging by DL's record profits, he wouldn't be one of the "few."
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by sky303
DL's (who has arguably the best IROPs recovery in the industry) load factor was about 83.5%, while B6's was about 84.9%. Load factor ain't why their IROPs recovery capabilities are massively different, chief. And judging by DL's record profits, he wouldn't be one of the "few."
DL and US appear to have the best ops these days, on the LCC side Spirit seems like they are also doing a good job.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
We clearly have two vastly different outlooks on life. If I am in a situation over which I have no control, I have to 2 choices:
- I can freak out and be miserable
- I can accept that I do not control the outcome and make the very best of it

Neither of the above choices changes when I would get home in this scenario, but one would be a hell of a lot more fun than the other.
Freak out? Please show me where I said freak out. JetBlue can't handle things apparently. They shouldn't give the impression that they can. Bottom line is JetBlue can't play with the big
boys... being stuck in Barbados for a week might sound nice but when you figure in $300.00 night for a room, if theres even any rooms available, food, and kids that are missing school, this is a disaster for JetBlue. They have to pull out all the stops to get people home and they're not.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Jan 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
It also happened on DL last month.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101243860
Totally different situation. Very bad example
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sky303
DL's (who has arguably the best IROPs recovery in the industry) load factor was about 83.5%, while B6's was about 84.9%.
According to the COO they were booked to 90% for the past week. That's not going to help the recovery.

Also, extra sections have now been added, including BGI.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:27 am

They did add an extra section (flight 8164) today, for those stuck in Barbados.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.