Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Mosaic: Any way get small number of points without actually flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 am
Original Poster

It looks like my total base points on JetBlue, after an upcoming trip, will be about 14,900, or about 100 short of Mosaic for next year. ($33 spend short).

The question is: Is there ANY way to get those points without flying again? I can't see any way in the rules, but maybe there's something?

I'd even buy a cheap burner ticket for a short hop and toss it, if that would get me there, but my understanding is that if you don't actually fly the route (even if you lose the ticket by not canceling before flying), it's not going to count.

Anything I am missing (besides those miles)?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I'm not aware of any way to do what you're describing.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:36 am

I am going to assume that any points accrued via the Jetblue Badges program wouldn't count towards Mosaic status? Maybe if you spoke with someone at True Blue they'd let you slide since you're so close?

Good luck.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsqrott
I am going to assume that any points accrued via the Jetblue Badges program wouldn't count towards Mosaic status? Maybe if you spoke with someone at True Blue they'd let you slide since you're so close?

Good luck.
Pretty sure the badges don't count, just like any promos on top of the 3xticket_price miles don't count.

It's also my understanding that the Even More Space spend doesn't count, right?

Too bad buying meals on board doesn't count I could buy meals for everyone in my row!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I'd call customer service and ask if they'd hook you up, otherwise I think you're going to have to fly a short mileage run if you want it.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Called customer service. They told me there was no way they could do anything for me, even if I was only ~$130 spend (out of $5000) short and I've been a good customer.

I even offered to pay them the full spend shortfall. Nope. My only option is to fly a roundtrip to nowhere I want to be on Dec 31.

Not really a good way to endear your better paying customers, I'd say...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by KwadGuy
Called customer service. They told me there was no way they could do anything for me, even if I was only ~$130 spend (out of $5000) short and I've been a good customer.

I even offered to pay them the full spend shortfall. Nope. My only option is to fly a roundtrip to nowhere I want to be on Dec 31.

Not really a good way to endear your better paying customers, I'd say...
I'm not surprised with their response. If they let you do it, plenty of other people would be asking. Simply paying for the mosaic service is kind of against the whole frequent flyer concept-- if I had $4000 out of the $5000, would it be fair for me to just pay $1000 for the mosaic status?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLIHGH
I'm not surprised with their response. If they let you do it, plenty of other people would be asking. Simply paying for the mosaic service is kind of against the whole frequent flyer concept-- if I had $4000 out of the $5000, would it be fair for me to just pay $1000 for the mosaic status?
I'd say sure: If someone was foolish enough to pay $1000 (on top of flying $4000 in the year) for Mosaic status...why not?

What does it get you? First boarding, 1 extra bag, speed line and (the only reason I am actually considering a $300 round trip to nowhere to qualify) no fee cancellation of fares. That's not all that amazing a perks package, compared to the competition. Probably not worth $1000 out of pocket to anyone...

I mean, they gave Mosaic free to a bunch of premier status flyers on other airlines earlier this year. It's not like they haven't reached out for valuable customers. I'd say that as someone who qualified for 2013 (> $5K) and someone who is $130 from qualifying for 2014, or more than $10K in two years, I'm probably worth as much, or more, to Jet Blue than one of those people.

But that's just how I see it. Obviously, they don't care that much.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Mosaic challenge

I'd say sure: If someone was foolish enough to pay $1000 (on top of flying $4000 in the year) for Mosaic status...why not?

What does it get you? First boarding, 1 extra bag, speed line and (the only reason I am actually considering a $300 round trip to nowhere to qualify) no fee cancellation of fares. That's not all that amazing a perks package, compared to the competition. Probably not worth $1000 out of pocket to anyone...

I mean, they gave Mosaic free to a bunch of premier status flyers on other airlines earlier this year. It's not like they haven't reached out for valuable customers. I'd say that as someone who qualified for 2013 (> $5K) and someone who is $130 from qualifying for 2014, or more than $10K in two years, I'm probably worth as much, or more, to Jet Blue than one of those people.

The other frequent flyers had to complete a challenge to get mosaic. They did not get it for free.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards

What I am getting at is if they let you have it at $130 short, if somebody was $150 short, should they get it as well? What about $200 short? Where do you draw the line? If I had spent 5000, and knew that I wouldve only had to spend 4850, I'd be pretty upset.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

What I am getting at is if they let you have it at $130 short, if somebody was $150 short, should they get it as well? What about $200 short? Where do you draw the line? If I had spent 5000, and knew that I wouldve only had to spend 4850, I'd be pretty upset.

I think that if I flew more than $5000 last year and I flew $48xx this year and I am willing to throw them another $1xx to make it good for this year, yeah, that should fall under reasonable valuable customer accommodation.

If I flew $300 last year and flew $3800 this year and was asking to be comped to Mosaic...no, I wouldn't have demonstrated myself to be the kind of customer you'd necessarily bend the rules to keep.

I think it's particularly stupid that they are going to make me take a burner round trip flight. That means more fuel, processing, FAA and governmental fees, etc. That they won't just let me write them a check for the same amount is idiocy. It wastes several hours of my time and costs them money and the result will be the same.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

So I took the RT flight. Left at 6am, got back at 10am. Turns out it was the same plane. Interestingly, JetBlue wouldn't let me book it as a RT (had to book two one ways), probably because the layover was too short for their rules. But since it was the same plane, there was no chance of missing the second flight.

When I got back on, a stewardess asked "didn't you just fly out?" I told her "yes" and why. She couldn't believe it. She ran over to the pilot and explained and he just shook his head.

Oh well. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But it's done.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree that just giving it is a slippery slope, but allowing the passenger to pay the difference shouldn't be so hard. I can understand from a systems perspective why it isn't possible and I even understand (slightly) from an operations perspective why it might not be too desirable. But on the balance I think it shouldn't be a huge stumbling block.

Do keep in mind that only recently have most legacy carriers allowed passengers to outright buy status rather than requiring the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.