Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother redeeming points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Question Why bother redeeming points?

Attempting to book a RT from either LGA or JFK-TPA for the 3rd weekend in March. I wanted to redeem true blue points, but the RT total is 76,000 points. The $$$ total is over $800. I don't recall JetBlue's RT to TPA ever being this high. Last time I went, I paid @ $300. Has this become the norm or should I wait for the price to drop?

I didn't even pay that much to go to LAS. Is it because it's considered Spring break time?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:53 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Spring Break is expensive when you wait until just a few weeks beforehand. $$ go ^, so do the points.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

Am I mistaken, or is the cost in points directly related to the cost in dollars?

So while there are never great uses of miles (in terms of value per point sense), there are never bad uses of points.

Luckily for me, I only fly B6 routes that earn AA miles, so please correct me if I am wrong. Fares seem about normal for peak travel time, and booking relativley late.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:42 pm

Except on the rare occasion jetBlue does their 20% off redemption with points days- there is never really a time where points are super valuable or not.

On occasion some fares will work out better with points, you get a fraction more CPM based on certain fare buckets.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by will2288
Am I mistaken, or is the cost in points directly related to the cost in dollars?
You are not mistaken. There is some variability within the system but, generally speaking, the points are worth 1-1.5 cents each.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Using points

Originally Posted by sbm12
You are not mistaken. There is some variability within the system but, generally speaking, the points are worth 1-1.5 cents each.
With B6, you get rewarded with more points when flying on those expensive holiday fares. (as compared to other airlines you just get 1000 miles for a 500 ticket). Just make sure to try to use the points when you can get 1.5 (I have gotten 1.7) cents per points.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Well thankfully, this wasn't a must-do trip so I'm going to scrap the TPA plans and use the points for FLL or MSY later this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.