Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Tires of plane catch fire during landing in Calif

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,

You guys seem to like the slides...

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP445a...YWORDS=jetblue

Bege
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Wow another evacuation down the slides on Jetblue..im glad everyone was ok..At least JetBlue is getting their money`s worth out of the evacuation slides recently..Just wondering how much these accidents take away from the airline`s bottom line? @:-)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Steven Slater could've been well used on that flight...
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, United, AA, Delta, Continental
Anyone grab any beers on the way out?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by toonjie
Anyone grab any beers on the way out?
Probably not, they all saw fire and wished Steven Slater was on the flight, and then jumped out.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The plane is still on the ground at Sacramento. Parking shuttle driver pointed it out to me tonight.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:52 pm

A320s are used all over the world, and I haven't heard of problems with the SMF runway, so maybe it was pilot error (i.e., landing too abruptly)?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by skoenig
A320s are used all over the world, and I haven't heard of problems with the SMF runway, so maybe it was pilot error (i.e., landing too abruptly)?
It I had to guess, my money would be on something anti-skid system-related, and not anything SMF-related or pilot error. Anti-skids don't fail very often, but when they do, multiple (if not all) flat main gear tires are common.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
A silly question, but maybe an employee can answer it. When you "leave all your personal items behind" to evacuate, what happens to them and when can you expect to be reunited with them in cases like this where the aircraft is ultimately going to be OK.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by makfan
A silly question, but maybe an employee can answer it. When you "leave all your personal items behind" to evacuate, what happens to them and when can you expect to be reunited with them in cases like this where the aircraft is ultimately going to be OK.
Depends on the situation. If the plane isn't damaged, you can expect to get them back pretty quickly. If there was a serious accident, then JetBlue (and I believe other airlines have the same procedure) uses an outside business partner that's responsible for sorting and identifying personal items and returning them.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: UA, AA
In an update to this incident, the San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that the plane landed with the parking brake on.

Recorded flight data show the Airbus A320-232's parking brake was engaged during approach at an altitude of 5,100 feet and stayed on throughout the Aug. 26 landing, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a preliminary finding.

The NTSB said the twin-engine jet rapidly decelerated, the four tires on its main landing gear blew out, and a minor tire fire erupted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.