Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jpatokal
As others have said, you're bouncing around the map like crazy and will waste a lot of time backtracking. Visit the places you want to go to in order, Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Himeji -> Hiroshima, and then fly/train it back. Or, better yet, look into an open jaw so you can fly into NRT and out from KIX...
Or the reverse. Before I decided against getting involved in trying to help clean up this itinerary, I was going to suggest just flying into HIJ and then work back east - Hiroshima-Himeji-Kyoto/Osaka/Nara-Tokyo and then leave from there to eliminate the criss-crossing. There are some flights direct from HKG-HIJ and others that connect HKG-NRT-HIJ.

I'm with you. Sapporo in January on a honeymoon seems a bit strange. To each his own, I guess.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi All,

Thanks Guys. I will have a look at the pricing if I flew straight to CTS from HKG.

Also can I ask why is it strange to go to Sapporo in January on a honeymoon? Sorry I'm new to this, so I had to ask

The reason I wanted to go there was that I will not be returning to Japan for a long time due to commitments etc. So I thought may as well drop by if I had some spare time.

edit : Just checked one way fares they are very expensive. Looks like I may need to get a return HKG-NRT-HKG.... So I am just checking which route will be best for me to still visit sapporo...doing plenty of research!

Thanks,
K.

Last edited by k3nnis; Aug 26, 2009 at 11:39 pm
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are cheaper "charter" flights, leaving at awful hours in the middle of the night, that go HKG-HND-HKG. I think ANA has one daily roundtrip and JAL has one, so it isn't really a charter. Haneda is more convenient than Narita. But if money is tight, these flights are worth considering.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks. If memory serves me right is a limo bus from NRT to tokyo town centre, is it like 90mins ride? I can't recall exactly? If it is I am willing to put up with it?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah that's about right, could be a bit shorter depending on where (Tokyo doesn't have a specific place that is "town centre" really), or a bit longer if there is heavy traffic.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by k3nnis
Also can I ask why is it strange to go to Sapporo in January on a honeymoon? Sorry I'm new to this, so I had to ask
That question has already been answered:
You don't need to go as far as Hokkaido for that, Japan's all mountains and there are tons of ski resorts accessible from Tokyo. Nagano (Winter Olympics ring a bell?), Yuzawa (with its own Shinkansen station), etc etc.
Now you owe it to yourself to answer this one:
And why would you want to go to Sapporo? What are you expecting to find there?
Sapporo is a long distance from the rest of the places you're planning to see - so you're likely to feel disappointed unless you have some reason to make that side trip. (And you're going to want a better reason than "to see snow" because there's snow in lots of places that are quicker and cheaper to reach).

Last edited by jib71; Aug 27, 2009 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks. Can soemone tell me why would one go to sapporo? What are the attractions?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ok thanks. Can soemone tell me why would one go to sapporo? What are the attractions?
In the spring and summer, all of Hokkaido is really beautiful and highly recommended for a visit. In the winter, they have the Ice Festival for a short period and quite good skiing. If you aren't going to make the Ice Festival, the skiing is what is left and you can do that much closer to the rest of your planned route for much less money and transportation hassle.

Think of it kind of like Alaska. In the spring and summer it is almost mind-numbingly beautiful. In the winter, much of it approximates the ancient Norse legends of h*ll.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
you should definitely get a guide book and do a search on some of the previous posts here.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Do flights to and from CTS get cancelled/delayed often in the winter? Is it safe for flights during Dec/Jan/Feb?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Hi All,
edit : Just checked one way fares they are very expensive. Looks like I may need to get a return HKG-NRT-HKG.... So I am just checking which route will be best for me to still visit sapporo...doing plenty of research!
I just checked on CX.com with the following booking data and they provide

HKG --> CTS // NRT --> HKG as per your schedule for HKD 9217 all-in, it's one of the penalty caused by super early bird ... HK people tend to do last minute travel arrangement.
HKG --> NRT --> HKG now showing 5537 all-in

After you confirm your itinerary, I will suggest you to take advantage the better package price available later. So for the meanwhile concentrate on the decision of going where first...

Random Travel Package Information

http://www.anaskyholiday.com.hk/eng/haneda_sapporo.html (reference only)
http://www.cxholidays.com/chl/r/package/CS9SPK02HKG (Less than HKD 7K per head with 2 nights at Sapporo, can book now)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Does it snow in Gero?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I went to Nikko, about three hours north of Tokyo and found it stunning. (One train a day makes the trip in about two hours.) There are a number of temples there. When we went it was filled with Japanese tourists, but very few westerners. We stayed at the Kanaya hotel. We wanted to rent a car to get into the countryside, but International Drivers Permits for Japan were required.

It can be done as a day trip from Tokyo. I would highly recommend it. I found it much lovelier than Kyoto and we've been to Kyoto twice.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Does it snow in Gero?
If you mean Gero Onsen, yes, most likely, since it's in the Japan Alps, but I went through it on the bus nearly 25 years ago in the summer, so I can't vouch for how accessible it would be in the winter.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by manneca
I went to Nikko, about three hours north of Tokyo and found it stunning. (One train a day makes the trip in about two hours.).....

... We wanted to rent a car to get into the countryside, but International Drivers Permits for Japan were required.

Both JR and Tobu lines go there. Must be more than 1 train a day. JR I think is via Utsunomiya and Tobu line is more direct. I can't remember the stn on Tobu line, about two or three stations before Nikko, the train dwindled down to two or three cars, then bunch more people got on. This is almost in the middle of nowhere and Tobu employees pushed passengers into the cars and we were packed in like sardines until the Nikko stn.

Coming down from the upper lakes area was a series of switch backs. Looking out from the bus is just straight down. It would be interesting driving it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.