reservations for hokutosei from tokyo to hakodate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)

I arrive in Japan on Sept 20 and want to take the hokutosei (royal or solo berth) to hakodate the evening of Sept 23....(Wednesday)...most of the sites say that the sleepers fill quickly but (if I understand correctly) I can't make reservations until I arrive....do I take the chance of availability or ???
BTW the Cassiopeia leaves too early for me
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Did you think about taking Shinkansen to some place North and joining Cassiopeia or other trains from there? (e.g. Depart Ueno at about 7pm and catch up with the Cassiopeia at Sendai).
If you do that, there are actually several options to reach Hakodate by train.

As for reserving tickets - There might be a package through some Japanese travel agency in the USA (JTB etc.). But otherwise you need a friend in Japan or take your chances.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Originally Posted by jib71
Did you think about taking Shinkansen to some place North and joining Cassiopeia or other trains from there? (e.g. Depart Ueno at about 7pm and catch up with the Cassiopeia at Sendai).
If you do that, there are actually several options to reach Hakodate by train.

As for reserving tickets - There might be a package through some Japanese travel agency in the USA (JTB etc.). But otherwise you need a friend in Japan or take your chances.
Great idea for a second sleeper option.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.