Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Appropriate/welcome gifts when visiting Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook

Hey, all. My wife and I will be travelling to Japan for our honeymoon this summer. We're going to spend 6 nights in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto, 3 in undetermined onsen/ryokan/other settings, and one more night back in Tokyo.

I should make my own folder of questions for the Japan folder at the rate my head is exploding. I ask you to bear with me, and if you have any suggestions based on my threads, please let me know.

I'd like to ask about thank-you gifts for hospitality, kindness shown, or inconvenience borne. What do posters reccommend that 2 youngish adults from the Southern U.S. bring for such occasions, from a morning tour to a week's hotel stay?

I had read in another thread that a bottle of whisky was given as appreciation for getting to see a sumo practice. What kinds of objects would make for appreciated/appropriate gifts. I would not like to be a Borat if at all possible.

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Hotel and restaurant personnel do not expect thank-you gifts. I've never taken a guided tour in Japan that wasn't part of a student excursion or an informal walk with Japanese friends, so I can't speak to that situation, but I'd bother with gifts only if I were meeting business contacts or visiting a private home. In those two cases, gifts are obligatory.

If that is the case, something made in your home area would be good or else a coffee table photo book of your home area. It all depends on what kind of people you're going to meet up with.

If you're visiting someone who has children or teenagers, you can't go wrong with T-shirts that bear the name of your city or state. However, these are usually not suitable gifts for adults.

But it sounds as if you're just going as tourists, not as business travelers, so don't sweat it too much. A couple of photo books of your home area will be accessible to everyone and offend no one. If you don't want to spend that much, photo calendars of your home area are inexpensive and easily packable. It really doesn't sound as if you are going to be in any situations where gift giving is required.

Last edited by ksandness; Mar 30, 2009 at 2:23 pm
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I agree with the above. If you are simply visiting Japan as paid tourists and not making personal connections, gifts are unnecessary and probably would be considered a bit weird. For hotels, restaurants, tour companies, etc, gifts would be inappropriate and of course, tipping is not done in Japan.

If you stay at a private ryokan or minshuku and experience service "above and beyond," a little gift of something from home would be appreciated. My home area is big in producing nuts and raisins so I occasionally take small gift packs of chocolate or yoghurt almonds and raisins just in case, although I would not do so in July as they would be a melted mess. If you manage to find an invitation to a sumo heya, then I'd look into a bottle of something nice for the oyakata as he is making a personal dispensation to allow you in. That may be difficult since the Nagoya basho will be starting July 12 and most of the heyas relocate to the host city well in advance of the tournament. I don't know when they will move or if any will still be in Tokyo and accepting visitors during your stay. It is too bad your timing is a little off. Ten days or so later and you could attend a day or two of the tournament.

Just as a caution, July can be pretty hot and muggy in Tokyo. As honeymooners, you will probably spend some time in your airconditioned hotel room but be aware that it can be very debilitating when you venture out to see the sights. It seems you are from the SE USA, so muggy heat shouldn't be too much of a shock but be prepared. I suggest touring early in the day and in the evening. Save thie mid-days for museums and such that will keep you inside.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Unhappy

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Just as a caution, July can be pretty hot and muggy in Tokyo. As honeymooners, you will probably spend some time in your airconditioned hotel room but be aware that it can be very debilitating when you venture out to see the sights. It seems you are from the SE USA, so muggy heat shouldn't be too much of a shock but be prepared. I suggest touring early in the day and in the evening. Save thie mid-days for museums and such that will keep you inside.
I third this. Do not venture very far in the Tokyo heat without caps or something on.. you'll really regret Tokyo's humidity if you don't stay hydrated sufficiently (not a problem as theres like dozens of 7-11's in a block to get water from!)

I suspect that I had a heat stroke when I was in Tokyo in 2003 -- wasn't ready for the incredible heat and humidity when I first went to Japan. Had to stay in the room for several days to properly acclaimize myself to the heat/humidity!

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA, NW
If the OP is from the southeastern U.S., Tokyo summers won't be much of a shock, but heat exhaustion is a problem. (The symptoms are headache and nausea, and the cure is to drink plenty of liquids and find an air-conditioned place to cool off in--preferably your hotel room.)

You don't even need to go into a convenience store to buy liquids because Tokyo has what must be the world's greatest concentration of drink vending machines, selling not only the standard soft drinks but iced coffee, iced tea, and drinks you've never heard of. (Pocari Sweat is a slightly salty lemon-flavored drink.) As one friend described it, you can "stagger from Coke machine to Coke machine."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.