Search

My stay in Tokyo next week...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
My stay in Tokyo next week...

Everyone,

Firstly, thank you to you all - I've taken so many tips and pieces of advice from this forum over the past few months, you've all helped me plan my trip without realising it!

So, next week we travel to Japan, staying at Conrad (3 nights) and then Mandarin Oriental (4 nights). We've only been to Tokyo very briefly before, so this is almost like a first-time visit. Planning on visiting all the usual sights and areas.

I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, the 22nd is Tokyo Marathon, and i'll guess we'll want to keep away from it, so we're planning on going to Harajuku/Aoyama/Meiji Shrine/Shibuya, as the Marathon looks to stay away from that area. Does this sound like a good plan?

It also the time of the Vernal Equinox I think, so will things close down (shops etc) or is it business as usual?

Lastly, we are thinking about getting out of the city for the day. We would love to see some countryside and go on a bullet train. Should we do one of the organised tours to Hakone and Mount Fuji, or should we go alone, or should we go somewhere else?

Thank you all so much again.

dhoward
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Welcome back, howard-san,

Originally Posted by dhoward
I have a couple of questions:

Firstly, the 22nd is Tokyo Marathon, and i'll guess we'll want to keep away from it, so we're planning on going to Harajuku/Aoyama/Meiji Shrine/Shibuya, as the Marathon looks to stay away from that area. Does this sound like a good plan?
Yes, a good plan indeed. Sunday is a great day to visit the areas mentioned and probably the best day to see the Harajuku denizens in full regalia. IME, the Marathon doesn't impact the city too much other than causing delays in crossing certain streets.

It also the time of the Vernal Equinox I think, so will things close down (shops etc) or is it business as usual?
Business as usual and maybe even more so in light of the economy.

Lastly, we are thinking about getting out of the city for the day. We would love to see some countryside and go on a bullet train. Should we do one of the organised tours to Hakone and Mount Fuji, or should we go alone, or should we go somewhere else?
There are many threads in this forum regarding day trips. The guided tours are probably the easiest way to see the highlights of the Hakone areas. Depends more on your tolerance of travelling with a group and your comfort level in navigating the Japanese train system.

I'm sure some of the other regulars in the forum can provide additional advice.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are thinking of going to Harajuku, this would be a perfect day to go as it's a Sunday.
My own friend will be arriving then, she's delighted her first day coincides with the Marathon.

Errrr... do you mean the 20th March? National holiday. Although some shops will be closed, most of the larger Department Stores will stay open. Check with your concierge before making any plans dependent on whatever it is you plan on visiting being open.

Up to you. I don't much like guided tours and don't go on them. If you want to go to Hakone I'd recommend the Hakone Free pass http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html which MUST be nicer than being driven around the area in a bus.

For a little more you can visit Fuji too
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/fujihakone.html

I visited Hakone on my very first trip to Japan, I'd only been there for 4 days and only spoke what I'd picked up in a phrase book. I had no problems (I admit that MrLapLap was with me, I 'met' him on that fateful excursion, but I was convinced right until the time we got back to Tokyo that he didn't speak any Japanese, and he was happy to let me get on with it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.