Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airfares to Tokyo from the US?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Airfares to Tokyo from the US?

My son is going to Japan for the summer. I know a lot about getting good rates on airfares in the US, but have no clue about Japan. I would love to help him save money. If anyone has tips, I'd sure appreciate it.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
check the mileage run deals forum frequently. there's always good deals if you know where to look.
if you could tell us more details such as where he'll be flying out of and approximate dates it would help!

As for airlines that fly to Japan, Northwest(Delta) and United have the most flights into and out of Tokyo.

Alot of times you'll find some good deals with travel agents as they have negotiated fares with the airlines.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
If your son is a student (and/or under the age of 24) you should check with a student-oriented travel agency like STA. They often get really good bulk fares from the airlines. A couple of summers ago, for instance, I got a one-way ticket from the East Coast to Tokyo on NWA for about $400 all-in when the cheapest round trips were selling for $1500.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM
It seems you should be able to get $1200 on UA with 3 weeks leadtime.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaron1262
check the mileage run deals forum frequently. there's always good deals if you know where to look.
if you could tell us more details such as where he'll be flying out of and approximate dates it would help!

As for airlines that fly to Japan, Northwest(Delta) and United have the most flights into and out of Tokyo.

Alot of times you'll find some good deals with travel agents as they have negotiated fares with the airlines.
We're in Raleigh, NC, so RDU. However, I'm willing to drive him somewhere first, if it would make a big difference in the fare. Dates are looking like June 23, returning around August 13.

And yes, he is a student. He's 20. He's an Electrical Engineering student at NC State, who is getting a Minor in Japanese.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help already. I really appreciate it!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
weird...i have a friend i met on my study abroad program from NC state..at first i thought it was the same person. nevermind. but this person i think he said that he drove to Atlanta to catch his flight- didn't seem much cheaper to me + he had to overnight in lax?

definitely check out STA travel..all my friends book their tickets there. im seeing around 1200 for your son's dates. Also I hear student universe is pretty good for students as well. otherwise use the ITA too to find flights..it's a very useful tool. you can find fares there but you can't book it there...take the dates you find and input them into expedia or any majro online booking engine to make your reservation.

hope your son enjoys japan as much as I did..if he has any questions don't hesistate to ask me or any other FT member here. I'm the same age as him so i'll probably have some insight/tips that he would probably be interested in.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, NW
I agree that if you're not willing or able to seek out your own airfares, you need a travel agent. They may charge a modest amount, but they do the legwork for you and often have special connections.

If NC State is like other large universities, it has at least one travel agency that specializes in cheap fares for students. Your son is old enough to make these inquiries on his own, and the experience will be good for him, good practice for living on his own in Japan.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA (former CO), TrueBlue, Etc.
Also, your son may want to route his flight through Korea. It sounds goofy, but while a layover in Seoul adds a few hours, it chopped $500 off my friend's flight last week.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:33 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Another strategy which sometimes saves money is to take Southwest or another LCC to a West Coast gateway (LAX, for instance) and then connect to a cheaper transpacific flight there. LAX is a particularly competitive market to Japan so the fares from there can be very cheap.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate all the tips...thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA apparently has some super-cheap flights from NYC right now (~$600). Check the MR forum for details.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And remember: ALWAYS check consolidator agencies from the US to Japan. They are an important part of the market, very possibly the majority, and will never show on an airline website.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
On www.airfarewatchdog.com you can put in an International destination (NRT for Narita, Japan in this case) and the site will show you all the good deals from the U.S. to that city. I don't see any currently for the summer, but it doesn't hurt to keep monitoring the site.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:31 pm

THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
On www.airfarewatchdog.com you can put in an International destination (NRT for Narita, Japan in this case) and the site will show you all the good deals from the U.S. to that city. I don't see any currently for the summer, but it doesn't hurt to keep monitoring the site.
I just signed up at Air Fare Watch Dog! Thank you SO much for the link.
Denise
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I just booked - last night - IAD/NRT stopping at LAX for $600 and change on UA

Be very flexible as the range of prices was huge depending on day and time

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.