Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westen Food Stores

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Westen Food Stores

Does anyone know of any stores that specialize in imported food products, such as French Wines, Fine Cheeses, smoked salmon and many other western products in Tokyo and/or Osaka? These are stores that are equivalent to "CitySuper" or "The Great Food Hall" in Hong Kong.
Old May 25, 2008, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by CX_First
Does anyone know of any stores that specialize in imported food products, such as French Wines, Fine Cheeses, smoked salmon and many other western products in Tokyo and/or Osaka? These are stores that are equivalent to "CitySuper" or "The Great Food Hall" in Hong Kong.
Yes.
Old May 25, 2008, 3:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes.
A very helpful reply as ever

Most food halls in the basement of large department stores should stock what the OP has listed. If you want speciality stores two well-known chains are:

Meidi-ya
and
Kinokuni-ya
Old May 25, 2008, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Osaka there is a store that sells an enormous variety of European Wines and Spirits (and an impressive range of upmarket foods/snacks) at excellent prices.

It won't be particularly difficult to source most of the things you are after in either city, what impressed me with the store I'm referring to was the cost. I saw many luxury brands priced considerably cheaper than in London (and Tokyo).

I can't tell you the name of this store, just where to find it. It's next to the Chisun Hotel Shinsaibashi.

Here is a map: http://www.solarehotels.com/english/...ap/detail.html
I think the store I'm referring to was just to the left of the hotel. It's by Nagahoribashi station.

That Chisun provides an empty fridge, after returning from a visit to this store it became the most attractively stocked hotel mini-bar I've ever seen, much less had the run of.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:05 pm

Aren't there western food and spirits shops at Tokyo, Ueno and Shinjuku train stations in Toyko? I would also assume you'd find something in America Town in Osaka as well.
Old May 25, 2008, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a smallish chain called Yamaya that has western food and spirits, maybe at a bit keener prices than Medi-ya and Kinkuniya (the food store, not the book shop). The store I can describe how to find is about a 12 minute walk from Shinjuku station.

To get there: Exit the station via the south exit, turn right and keep walking on the same main street until you begin to wonder if you did something wrong, and about that time, you'll find it. It's right after a place with a huge sign saying "Tahitian Noni" (the main street cuts to the left of Tahitian Noni).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.