Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Iriya (North of Ueno)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Hotel in Iriya (North of Ueno)

Hi,

I managed to find a reasonably priced hotel 2 mins from the Iriya station (2 stations north of Ueno). Is it a bad area? I know, my bad for booking late...

The hotel name is Iriya Urban hotel.

I have something reserved at the Sakura hotel in Hatagaya which I don't like....
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by jag009
Is it a bad area?
In some ways... but not so that you'd need to worry about your safety on the streets.

It's on the edge of the part of Tokyo "where the ragged people go." There were always a lot of day laborers etc. who stayed in low cost housing and flop houses in this area. (And if you go back 90 years or so, there were labor riots around this part of town).

When the World Cup was held in Japan, several low-cost backpacker hostels opened up there. So it's certainly one of the cheapest places to bunk in Tokyo.

Again - The streets are not unsafe for you to walk around. It's just not a very upscale neighbourhood. It should actually give you an interesting perspective on the city. In some ways it's like a time capsule - you can find several traditional "sento" (bath houses) and other features of Tokyo life that have disappeared from many parts of the city.

In a separate thread, kcvt mentioned Sakura Hotel in Jimbocho which may be slightly more expensive than the backpacker hostels on the North side of Ueno - but it's a "nicer" area.

I have something reserved at the Sakura hotel in Hatagaya which I don't like....
That's the opposite side of Tokyo.

I take it that you don't really have a specific neighbourhood that you need to be in?

EDITED -- I changed the description of Iriya to make clear that it's on the edge of a poor part of town. Basically, if you walk East from Iriya, you end up in the ghetto. Keep walking and you will also find the old Yoshiwara district, which is full of soaplands.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 13, 2008 at 8:19 pm
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
In some ways... but not so that you'd need to worry about your safety on the streets.

It's on the edge of the part of Tokyo "where the ragged people go." There were always a lot of day laborers etc. who stayed in low cost housing and flop houses in this area. (And if you go back 90 years or so, there were labor riots around this part of town).

When the World Cup was held in Japan, several low-cost backpacker hostels opened up there. So it's certainly one of the cheapest places to bunk in Tokyo.

Again - The streets are not unsafe for you to walk around. It's just not a very upscale neighbourhood. It should actually give you an interesting perspective on the city. In some ways it's like a time capsule - you can find several traditional "sento" (bath houses) and other features of Tokyo life that have disappeared from many parts of the city.

In a separate thread, kcvt mentioned Sakura Hotel in Jimbocho which may be slightly more expensive than the backpacker hostels on the North side of Ueno - but it's a "nicer" area.

That's the opposite side of Tokyo.

I take it that you don't really have a specific neighbourhood that you need to be in?

EDITED -- I changed the description of Iriya to make clear that it's on the edge of a poor part of town. Basically, if you walk East from Iriya, you end up in the ghetto. Keep walking and you will also find the old Yoshiwara district, which is full of soaplands.
Thanks for the info. Actually I have no choice because pretty much everything in Ginza/Asakusa/Akihabara is booked for March 29 (Saturday)... Iriya Urban hotel is the only one which has rooms for 2 nights (March 29 - 30).

I check Ikebukuro and the hotels there are out of rooms on March 29 as well

How is Hatagaya? Is it better? I know it's 2 - 3 stations away from Shinjuku.

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Your hotel seems downright upscale, compared to my usual digs at the Juyoh Hotel, near Minami-Senju Station. Both hotels are located in Shitamachi, an area I'm absolutely enthralled with. jib71 describes it well. Yes, my hotel is in the ghetto*...complete with folks digging through the trash for cans and drunks sleeping it off on the sidewalk. I love it and the friendly, unpretentious people.

*Some time ago, I was taking the city bus from the Las Vegas McCarran Airport to downtown Las Vegas. An interesting older Asian couple (with big luggage) boarded the bus. They appeared to be in their sixties (maybe seventies) and were dressed like teenage American kids, except for their El Cortez jackets. I observed them for a while, trying to figure out where they were from. There were some clues to their Japanese-ness, so I did the shitsurei-shimasu-where-are-you-from routine. When they said Tokyo, I told them how I loved my Minami-Senju digs. They told me I shouldn't stay there, it's "the ghetto". The irony was thick!

Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
Your hotel seems downright upscale, compared to my usual digs at the Juyoh Hotel, near Minami-Senju Station. Both hotels are located in Shitamachi, an area I'm absolutely enthralled with. jib71 describes it well. Yes, my hotel is in the ghetto*...complete with folks digging through the trash for cans and drunks sleeping it off on the sidewalk. I love it and the friendly, unpretentious people.

*Some time ago, I was taking the city bus from the Las Vegas McCarran Airport to downtown Las Vegas. An interesting older Asian couple (with big luggage) boarded the bus. They appeared to be in their sixties (maybe seventies) and were dressed like teenage American kids, except for their El Cortez jackets. I observed them for a while, trying to figure out where they were from. There were some clues to their Japanese-ness, so I did the shitsurei-shimasu-where-are-you-from routine. When they said Tokyo, I told them how I loved my Minami-Senju digs. They told me I shouldn't stay there, it's "the ghetto". The irony was thick!

Yeah.. No different than taking a hotel in near Russell Square in San Francisco (or downtown LA) anyway. Lots of baggers on the street...
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
What rate are you booking at? Looks like your standard business hotel which there are plenty in Tokyo. Depends on where you want to visit in Tokyo as well.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
What rate are you booking at? Looks like your standard business hotel which there are plenty in Tokyo. Depends on where you want to visit in Tokyo as well.
japanhotelsonline.net
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
I love it and the friendly, unpretentious people.
I also like the Minowa area. A lot.
Unfortunately, it's an inconvenient area for most of what I go to Tokyo for, and the bargain rooms in the area aren't such good deals for two people sharing, but as a lone female I never felt remotely uncomfortable or unsettled when chatting with the homeless people in this area. I've never been panhandled here either.

Early in the morning the streets are soaked by older ladies pouring 'house water' and setting out their flower pots and craftsmen start their day in the innumerable work shops in the area (I recall lots of places making tatami flooring especially). Near Minami station I also had one of the cheapest yet one of the best tempura meals of my life, I discovered it on my first visit by joining a queue.

If the hotel is conveniently located for your own reasons for being in Tokyo, go for it. There are so few major cities where you can feel so safe in such a 'downtown' area. I think it's something to relish, I can't help but doubt it will be the same in 10-15 years.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
japanhotelsonline.net
I just looked at that site and really do not like the interface. I'd suggest either: http://www.japanhotel.net/

or: http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/

JR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.