Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo: if familiar with Sheraton Mikayo vs Crowne Metropolitan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Which would be your choice on pay basis assuming you could get then for about the same Y?
How about on Awards: Mikayo 7,000 SPG and Metroplitan 25,000 Priority points?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me
Tokyo Miyako Sheraton - hands down, no contest
(and if I could get it on cash & points, all the better)
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:41 am

Crown Metro is a business hotel on the weekdays and a lot of weddings on the weekends. Busy, clean, Free Internet, and right next to a large train station. But for the most part not exactly in the center of any tourist areas. Outside of business travelers, it's popular with Travel Agents because it has one of the lowest TA rates in Tokyo (on King Beds no less).

However, if all prices are equal the Sheraton is the way to go.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
One word: Ikebukuro. On the other hand, it is a 2 minute walk from an architectural cluster featuring among other things, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's remaining works in Japan, the Myonichikan school. The other one is in Kobe.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
One word: Ikebukuro. On the other hand, it is a 2 minute walk from an architectural cluster featuring among other things, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's remaining works in Japan, the Myonichikan school. The other one is in Kobe.
There's another.
It was moved from Tokyo to Meiji Mura, Inuyama. But it's only a shell of what it once was.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:23 am

It's not like Ikebukuro is bad. There's just not more than a half day's worth of things to do there. On the plus side it's very easy to get around, there are English Language maps on almost every block. But yeah, in reality you'll spend very little time in Ikebukuro, and a lot of time on the JR Yamanote going to where the action is.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by motytrah
It's not like Ikebukuro is bad. There's just not more than a half day's worth of things to do there. On the plus side it's very easy to get around, there are English Language maps on almost every block. But yeah, in reality you'll spend very little time in Ikebukuro, and a lot of time on the JR Yamanote going to where the action is.
I'd say more like a half hour's worth of things to do: (1) go to sleezy amusement park and try miracle fruit-su, (2) see #1
Old Mar 2, 2008, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Is the Sheraton Mikayo in better area?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by best
Thank you. Is the Sheraton Mikayo in better area?
It is a 1-2,000yen taxi ride from more of the areas you will probably want to be in late at night, and more fine dining options are within a 30-40 minute walk radius.

However, it's best not to take too much notice of my own opinion of the area. I can't help but be enormously prejudiced and my appreciation grows with every visit. Mekayo.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap
There's another.
It was moved from Tokyo to Meiji Mura, Inuyama. But it's only a shell of what it once was.
I should qualify my statement. I meant "complete and undisturbed in their original location", but yes the Imperial in Inuyama is definitely worth a visit. The rest of the museum also. It is one of my favorite museums in Japan.

I went there once with my mother, and when we walked into the Imperial lobby, she said that she had a strong sense of having been there before. Of course she had, she had visited there in 1964 for her honeymoon, but stayed at the Okura. I told her she had just carbon-dated herself when she walks into her past in a museum.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by motytrah
... There's just not more than a half day's worth of things to do there...
Yeah, but that's not so bad when you consider that all of Tokyo is only good for a day and a half .....
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

After trying both: No comparison of these two hotels. Unless you have to be in the Crowne Plaza area, try to choose the Mikayo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.